• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rotary and orbital question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotary and orbital question

. I'm new here to the sight. I use a rotary (Makita) and get fantastic results but on my black Montero sport I saw I have some holograms. I used a pad that was a little chewed up (nothing serious). I'm hoping it was the pad not technique. My question is that to remove them I know I have to re-polish with maybe a finishing pad etc… but I have one of the old orbital buffers, the kind ya put the terrycloth bonnet over from pep boys etc... It’s not a pc or anything but if I finish with that will it remove any holograms or am I just wasting time?

I would suggest going back with the rotary and a fresh polishing pad. That should fix the problem and also verify your technique. You need to know what caused the problem so you can avoid future issues. All part of the learning process!
    -Bob
    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Do you think those old orbital polishers do anything? Its been on a shelf for quit a few yrs since I got my rotary and thought mabye it would help get out some holograms?

Comment

Originally posted by ksrep28
        Do you think those old orbital polishers do anything? Its been on a shelf for quit a few yrs since I got my rotary and thought maybe it would help get out some holograms?

It' wont' help unless the paint is soft and you have a lot of time thus the reason for the increase in popularity of the dual action polisher like Meguiar's G100.

Read this...

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm not too sure whether it's my technique or my paint softness problem, but I get to notice I have holograms on my paintwork under the sunlight after using #80/W-9006/rotary combo. I guess the only way for me to remove the holograms is to use #80/W-9006/ROB all over again. Hopefully it doesn't induce micro-marring (MM).
          zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Zey, thats what I have to try as well. Will adding a sealer do anthing to lessen the effect of holograms or does it just add protection. I want to add the sealer step but havn't currently tried it.

Comment

Anytime you touch paint, the potential exists to instill a scratch at some level which includes micro-marring.

So if you have a foam pad with a chemical spinning against the finish in a rotating manner the potential is there to affect the finish.

This is why in order to produce a swirl free finish, after using a rotary buffer, you must re-polish the panel using some type of polishing action that is more gentle to the finish and not rotating against it.

This is the nature of the beast no mater whose pads or chemicals you're suing. It's also important to remember that clear coats are scratch and abrasion sensitive.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

This is why in order to produce a swirl free finish, after using a rotary buffer, you must re-polish the panel using some type of polishing action that is more gentle to the finish and not rotating against it.

So Mike would you recomend (if a PC or the like are not available) using anything but a rotary? By hand maybe? If you add a sealer will that help with any buffer marks/holograms?

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');