• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to the G-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to the G-100

Hi..

Since we got 230VAC here in norway..
    I was thinking: "maby it's not a good idea to buy a G-100 or PC made for 115/120VAC and plug in here"..

So.. What's a good alternative that is avalable for 230 Volts?

Karl

Re: Alternative to the G-100

Originally posted by Karl SS
    Hi..

Since we got 230VAC here in Norway..
    I was thinking: "maby it's not a good idea to buy a G-100 or PC made for 115/120VAC and plug in here"..

So.. What's a good alternative that is available for 230 Volts?

Karl
    I've seen a lot of other tools talked about but so far I haven't seen any one or even two particular tools that have risen to the top in popularity because they can duplicate what the G100/PC can do.

There are a lot of dual action/oscillating car polishers on the market but most of them have too large of a pad with no means of changing this aspect and/or are not variable speed and the fixed speed they are offered in is too slow.

The popularity of the G100/PC dual action polisher is due to the fact that they use a standard 5/16 fine thread backing plate common to the body shop industry for use with D.A. sanders and now also small foam pads and on the 5.0 setting with the right pad, product and technique, with enough time they can remove small particles of paint and thus remove swirls and scratches without the risk of removing too much paint and thus burning through on edges and other high points like body lines.

To date, I think most people have opted for the U.S. version and adapted it to their country using the appropriate power converter.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: Alternative to the G-100

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      I've seen a lot of other tools talked about but so far I haven't seen any one or even two particular tools that have risen to the top in popularity because they can duplicate what the G100/PC can do.

There are a lot of dual action/oscillating car polishers on the market but most of them have too large of a pad with no means of changing this aspect and/or are not variable speed and the fixed speed they are offered in is too slow.

The popularity of the G100/PC dual action polisher is due to the fact that they use a standard 5/16 fine thread backing plate common to the body shop industry for use with D.A. sanders and now also small foam pads and on the 5.0 setting with the right pad, product and technique, with enough time they can remove small particles of paint and thus remove swirls and scratches without the risk of removing too much paint and thus burning through on edges and other high points like body lines.

To date, I think most people have opted for the U.S. version and adapted it to their country using the appropriate power converter.
      I'm not sure I understood the last part there about appropriate power converter.. Is it avalable for 230V? Of can I use some kinda converter?

Could I use a DA sander if I find one with the right size backingplate?

Comment

I've heard reports of the PC behaving oddly when used with a power converter, bogging down too easily, etc. And I've *never* heard of it working out *well*.

The CYCLO is available in a 230v version. I'd get that, but then I generally prefer it to the PC anyhow (and yeah, I remember that some folks greatly prefer the PC to each their own).
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Alternative to the G-100

Sure, if the speed range is suitable and you can get the velcro backing plate. The PC is really just a DA sander co-opted for detailing use.
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
            I've heard reports of the PC behaving oddly when used with a power converter, bogging down too easily, etc. And I've *never* heard of it working out *well*.

The CYCLO is available in a 230v version. I'd get that, but then I generally prefer it to the PC anyhow (and yeah, I remember that some folks greatly prefer the PC to each their own).
            I'm another one who opts for a Cyclo first. However,the PC always has a place, especially regarding machine application of LSPs and light spot defect correction via 4" pads.
            my product collection-- New !
            My Detailing Credo
            Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Hello all,

Transformers are widely used here in the UK (240v) without any problems, here is a link to the transformer we use: -

Screwfix: Thousands of products at low trade prices | FREE next day delivery available | 30 day money back guarantee on all orders.

Bryan

PS Karl you have PM.
              Last edited by Blr123; Sep 1, 2005, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Alternative to the G-100

Most DA sanders are for finish woodwork and are about twice the speed and a lot smaller orbits than the G100. I tried the PC 333 with a 5" velcro plate but it didn't work as work as well, as the G100 the orbits were too small to be effective. It was more of an experiment as I already have the G100 equivalent and a Makita rotary.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');