• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

356 Porsche Tech Session in San Luis Obispo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 356 Porsche Tech Session in San Luis Obispo

Today I was the guest of the 356 Porsche Club in San Luis Obispo. Besides explaining the The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle, I also discussed and then demonstrated how any of the members of this club could take their Porsche's finish to approximately 90% of its maximum potential using just to Meguiar's products.

These include, #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax.

One of the club members, Richard, volunteered his 1959 Porsche for the demonstration. The first thing we did was to wipe the car down using Meguiar's Quik Detailer.

After that, I had the owner pull the car out about 6 feet and asked all the club members to come and look at the finish carefully. I then specifically had them focus on the Sun, and the Cobweb-effect that surrounded the sun’s reflection, which they did.

Then we moved the car back under the canopy to put shade onto the entire car. Then, I had a number of members feel the hood with their hands to inspect for Above Surface Bonded Contaminants which this car had. So then I demonstrated how to safely remove bonded contaminants using Meguiar’s Quik Clay System, with its *New* clay bar. After claying one half of the hood, I had members run the palms of their hands across the hood to feel the difference.

After claying one half of the hood, I then demonstrated how to use the #83 DACP with the W-8006 foam polishing pad on the G-100a, on the 5.0 setting to remove swirls and scratches in the finish.

This particular finish has many random, isolated deeper scratches, (RIDS), throughout the finish. I explained that the above combination of products would not be capable of removing scratches that deep and that scratches that deep would require a rotary buffer and a product like the Meguiar’s #84 Compound Power Cleaner.

That said, the #83 DACP/G-100/W-8006 combo would remove a majority of the lighter, more shallow scratches while restoring optimum clarity to this single stage finish.

After cleaning and polishing with the #83, I then applied the new Tech Wax using Meguiar's W-9006 foam finishing pad. After applying the wax, we allowed it to dry for 10-15 minutes and then removed it using Meguiar’s Ultimate Bonnets, on a clean, dry W-8006 foam polishing pad.

Then I had the owner pull the car back out into the sun so everyone could see the before & after.

Here are some photo's...

Here the car is after pulling it out about 5-6 feet before everyone arrives so that once they're there, they can all inspect the finish in full sun before polishing and protection with Meguiar's.

Here's a shot of the roof showing the cobweb-effect that was throughout the finish.

Here's a shot of the above cobweb-effect cropped out of the original. This is what is called a Raw photo, it is the actual size and un-altered image of the cobweb-effect cropped out of the original.

After removing the Tech Wax, we pulled the car out into full sun for everyone to inspect...

I think it's safe to say, everyone was impressed. Afterwards, we pulled the car back under the canopy and the owner let some other club members get the feel for how to use the G-100 to apply both the #83 and the Tech Wax.

Here's an after shot...

And here's the happy owner leaving for a cruise with his friends!

A big thank you to Steve for inviting Meguiar's to make a presentation, and an extra big thank you to Richard for allowing Meguiar's to demonstrate our products on you classic 1959 Porsche!

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');