• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megs 83 vs Me Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megs 83 vs Me Round 2

Well I have been learning to use this product and I am still getting some issues with gumming on a cool car..Now I am trying different techniz....I have been waiting for that translucent look which I get but it is so damn hard to take off with a MF towel. I was thinking that maybe I am waiting to long and tryed to take it off after a couple of slow passes ...still very hard...

I know that you are supposed to leave a film and never go dry and that is what I was doing...I put the X on the pad wit hthe material and still got a gumming hard as hell to take off result...

I like that I have time to look at the material break down iwth the g-100 but I am still wondering is it supposed to be so damn hard to take off...

I am working in a small area and taking my time......still getting the same hard as hell results

No way in hell this product is going to beat me..but I definatlely got the effect after doing half the car....it takes so long to get done...but I want to get the results I see on this board..

Sooooooooooooooooooooo.......

Megs #83 ------2
    Me----------------0

Same here. I was working small sections too, and it almost seemed like a race to do a small section, set the G-100 down and wipe as quickly (though taking my time and doing a good job, even if what I said was hypocritical) as I could. Parts of the #83 would slide right off, but then there would be areas that just stuck!

I think the outside temp was around 80 degrees and I was in my garage without and direct sunlight. So I too have that same dilemma. I think I was also using too much product. My first go around, I was making that "X" everytime I started a new section (18"x18"). Since the DA has a natural spinning motion, a lot of the product was working its way to the edges via centrifugal(sp) force...or maybe it's centripetal ( I never did that great in physics). So I was seeing the "gumming" up on the outside of the pad where most of it was acummulating. It was my first attempt, so I still have a lot of practice in front of me.

Keep us posted.

Comment

I was just wondering about the #83 being so gummy and hard to remove after buffing with the DA. Maybe someone could chime in but would it work if you sprayed it with Quick Detail (QD) after polishing? At least it would cut down your removal time. Perhaps this gum you speak of is tuff as nails. I wish I knew about it and someday (soon), I will be using a DA and I will be on here looking for help too.
      Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

I go through a gallon of DACP every two months and love it!

Sounds like your using too much. If I ever get any kind of build up it is because I have too much on my pad and need to clean it.

Also. I am on the west coast with 0% humidity. I don't know if the humidity is a factor in the problem your having.

Here is a pic of me polishing a car yesterday with DACP and a 8006-

I have the buffer going at about 1200 rpm. In the pic you can't see any product but it is there.
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I believe Mike said to use around 15lbs of pressure when applying. It looks like you are using a rotary, but are you using any amount of pressure or just the weight of the rotary? I don't know if that has anything to do with it, I'm just trying to get a good system down.

I go through a gallon of DACP every two months and love it!
          Is this on the same car?

Comment

The amount of pressure I use depends on the results I am trying to get.

I usually apply med. firm pressure at first and letting up as the product breaks down.

Once my pad is "seasoned" or "primed" I apply little product to the pad as I continue to polish.
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Until I get a little more experienced with my DA, all I can do is ask questions and keep practicing. Hopefully those on this forum don't mind questions being asked that may have already been addressed.

Superior Shine, again, this could have either been because it was hot outside (even though in the garage, 80 degrees might still be too hot) or the fact that I was using too much #83, but it working the product, I noticed the edges of my 8006 with the 83 kind of gumming up. I started to use less and cleaned my pad with a bristled brush, but when running the DA over my paint, the middle of the pad was working the product in, but the edges almost produced, what looked like a dry buff. Almost like it was removing the 83. So in effect, the middle was hazy but the edges were not. Any thoughts?

Another question being (which greatly depends on the paint condition, hardness, etc...), but in a given area, how long do you work the product in? I was working 18" square panels with an 8006 with a 4.5 speed with my DA and everything seemed to dry so quickly. I am sure everyone is going to say that the paint was hot, but it was probably an ambient teperature of the outside (80 degrees).

You also mentioned that you go through a gallon of DACP in 2 months. Is this on one car or several.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by SkeeterJD
                Until I get a little more experienced with my DA, all I can do is ask questions and keep practicing. Hopefully those on this forum don't mind questions being asked that may have already been addressed.

Superior Shine, again, this could have either been because it was hot outside (even though in the garage, 80 degrees might still be too hot) or the fact that I was using too much #83, but it working the product, I noticed the edges of my 8006 with the 83 kind of gumming up. I started to use less and cleaned my pad with a bristled brush, but when running the DA over my paint, the middle of the pad was working the product in, but the edges almost produced, what looked like a dry buff. Almost like it was removing the 83. So in effect, the middle was hazy but the edges were not. Any thoughts?

Another question being (which greatly depends on the paint condition, hardness, etc...), but in a given area, how long do you work the product in? I was working 18" square panels with an 8006 with a 4.5 speed with my DA and everything seemed to dry so quickly. I am sure everyone is going to say that the paint was hot, but it was probably an ambient teperature of the outside (80 degrees).

You also mentioned that you go through a gallon of DACP in 2 months. Is this on one car or several.

Thanks for your help.
                EXACTLY...it seemed to dry so quickly....I am going down with a fight gentlemen....I dont know....I dont have a rotary that slow...I am going to have to get one that gives me 1200...

But the product drys instantly...and the edges look like cupcake batter....

I dont know but gotta keep working with it...

Comment

and the edges look like cupcake batter....
                  I like that.

Comment

Well myself included in this ongoing drama with M83. I'm going to try it again one day when i get time for a full detail.
                    rollin 22's

www.fordexplorer.net

www.cardomain.com/id/explore_02xlt

Comment

Do you prime your pad with one or two spritzes of qd or water? Humidity plays a big factor, I think.
                      Remember that you are UNIQUE - just like EVERYONE ELSE.

XP

Comment

Once your pad is primed you should need to apply very little on the pad. A good clue that your using too much is to pull the pad off and look for the #83 coming through the back of the pad! I did this the first time I used it and made a very big mess!!

After I prime my pad a circle around the outside of the backing plate area (about 1 inch in from edge of pad) is all that is needed.

Also it may look like it's dry on the surface when your polishing but sometimes it's not it's just thin. You may also try a smaller area like 12x12 or 16x16 and see what happens. M80 works pretty well and for a long time in a 16-18 inch area so #83 may need a smaller area. If it continues then a spritz on the area with qd or #34 then continue buffing.

I usually reserve the #83 for really bad areas as the #80 takes most problems out. Or the rotary with #80 and if that doesn't do it I'll use the #83 as a last resort first with DA then rotary.

Probably not much help but maybe I am!

Comment

Yep, thats me. I used way too much 83, it was coming out the back and plus the pad weighed probably 5 times its normal weight. I should have guessed, that it was way too much in the beginning, but I didnt tone it down until I was half way done with the car.

I think for the time being, I am going to stick with the 80. It was a lot easier to work with and came off like a dream compared to the 83. But I also learned from my mistakes using the 83 and didnt use very much 80, so maybe my disgust with the 83 is my fault. I'll try to work it back in my arsenal if I need to pull out the big guns again.

Thanks for your help though...thats good stuff.

Comment

So you should prime the pad with alittle water before applying product?
                            2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');