• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuff that I think while observing the cars of others.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff that I think while observing the cars of others.....

It occurred to me last night on the way home from work (as I was parked in traffic) in my freshly detailed Saleen that I have thoughts flash through my clean-car obsessed brain regarding the condition of cars around me all the time.

Some sample thoughts:

"Wow, the brake dust on the rims of that BMW is incredible - looks like they've NEVER been cleaned. Really needs some Endurance on those tires too.."

"How could you own a convertible and NOT have the top down on a day like this?"

"Geez, look at the car wash-induced scratches on that thing...how sad...

Should I seek therapy or does anyone else have this problem?

lol i do the same..
    "that car is dirty"

Comment

01sc496,

I am so with you. I too find myself looking at every car going by on the highway and I like assessing their conditions. I like it when the sun is in a position where you can really see the swirls in their paint how ever they were installed. I think about the poor guy/gal and if they only knew what I know now. Keeping the vehicle up on a regular basis is a lot easier then waiting till it looks like living heck to start doing something about it. I at one time (not too long ago) and on my older vehicles, didn't do much with them because basically they were junkers. Now, I look at the weather forcast daily so I know if washing my vehicles will not be a waste of time due to rain. And, I always look forward to the weekend to do something related to "Shine Improvements" (get it? like home improvements).

My other problem I am having and I should seek some help (group therapy), is after I wax my vehicles, I stand there for what seems hours, staring at it. My wife is starting to get jelous and she wishes I stared at her like I do the waxed vehicle/s. I told her I may do just that if she lets me put a coat on NXT on her. LOL.
      Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

See, you're not alone - I actually have a chair in my garage from which I can observe my handiwork and spend more time than I should admit just looking for something else to shine.

I wouldn't worry about the NXT and your wife - you just might want to apply by hand as opposed to your G-100.

Last edited by 01sc496; Sep 9, 2005, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BJClarke001
          My wife is starting to get jelous and she wishes I stared at her like I do the waxed vehicle/s. I told her I may do just that if she lets me put a coat on NXT on her. LOL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I look at other's cars all the time....

The other day, I was walking out of the bank and I saw a beautifully detailed (Older model) black Corvette. I'm admiring the gloss while walking around the front to get a better view (all the time I'm thinking "Well, somebody finally got it right!").

When all of a sudden the sun reflects off the hood, and now I'm looking at buffer swirls! This car reminded me of the commercial where a nice looking man smiles at a woman and shows his yellow teeth.

I start to walk away, thankful for the knowledge that I've learned at MOL.
          Last edited by rusty bumper; Sep 9, 2005, 06:37 AM.
          r. b.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the NXT and your wife - you just might want to apply by hand as opposed to your G-100.
            ...... unless she likes the feeling of the random orbital motion of the G-100....

~~~~~~~~
            Put me on the list... I also starting to think and wondering the same way....
            Last edited by romulus; Sep 9, 2005, 06:08 AM.
            Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

I find myself telling wondering the same thing about cars on the highway. Especially the nice cars. I think, "How could someone spend $60,000 on a vehicle and treat it like that?" It's not only the luxury cars, cars in general are probably the second highest value item most people own, behind their house.

On a good note, I think my obsession is spreading. I use the bay at my firehouse to detail my car (I don't have a garage at home). Of course, when I show up, I get the usual comments: "It's already clean, what are you doing now? Waxing? Didn't you do that yesterday?...No I cleaned it yesterday," and so on. Anyway, Sunday, as I'm waxing my car, I look up and the guys around me are all pulling out their wash buckets and setting up to detail their own cars. I guess I'm having a positive influence

Comment

my g/f is jealous of my truck. i spend more time with it than i do her. and she says i spend more money on it than i do her.
                rollin 22's

www.fordexplorer.net

www.cardomain.com/id/explore_02xlt

Comment

I do the same thing with all cars. For friends and such I usually strike up a good conversation to see if I can offer some suggestions if need be.

I find I have to be guarded in what I say though. I find the more I run my mouth the more they look at me with that look that says;

PLEASE HELP MY BY DOING MY CAR FOR ME.

I am no Pro-Detailer and really am not trying to get into that. So I have to steer away from volunteering myself or letting myself get volunteered. I have 3 cars lined up now where I have volunteered to "HELP". Something tells me I'll be doing a little more than helping.

Edited as an after thought:

I find that after I wash my Truck and dry it I have been heading over to the local car wash where others are drying, vacuming and detailing. By this point I am just QDing, cleaning glass, chrome and such and pretty much am just enjoying the day. I like to go around and check out the work of others and throw the compliments around. I even find that when I strike up a conversation with the owner of the best looking car there, there is always some little pet peave he/she has that they are contending with. For example say, dirty leather seats or Water marks. For every instance of these little problems I can run off several Meg's products for them to use as options. usualy the comment is "I did know Meg's put out that." Or Where can I get that? So I find I am able to possibly offer up some alternatives to others they were not aware of.

Plus, I have met some of the greatest folks by doing this. I have alot of respect for anybody that doesn't mind giving up some "TV time" to get out and take care of one of the most expensive things they own.
                  Last edited by Jeff Smith; Sep 9, 2005, 10:45 AM.
                  Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

I think we might need therapy

NAAAAAA!!!!!

Shine On!

Alex
                    Mandarina Racing

Comment

Originally posted by j333_76484
                      I do the same thing with all cars. For friends and such I usually strike up a good conversation to see if I can offer some suggestions if need be.

I find I have to be guarded in what I say though. I find the more I run my mouth the more they look at me with that look that says;

PLEASE HELP MY BY DOING MY CAR FOR ME.

I am no Pro-Detailer and really am not trying to get into that. So I have to steer away from volunteering myself or letting myself get volunteered. I have 3 cars lined up now where I have volunteered to "HELP". Something tells me I'll be doing a little more than helping.

Heheh yeah I know the feeling about helping others do anything I might be half way good at doing... end up doing all of it.

Plus, I have met some of the greatest folks by doing this. I have alot of respect for anybody that doesn't mind giving up some "TV time" to get out and take care of one of the most expensive things they own.
                      Another great reason to have TIVO or a VCR, tape the stuff you watch and spend the rest of the time in the gym, with family/friends and on the car! WHoo HOO!

Comment

I spend more time and money on my wife than my cars.

But, every weekend I tell myself, "Don't wash your car you are compulsive"

Find myself thinking of the next time I wash and wax to regularly.

Comment

I'M GUILTY

Originally posted by BJClarke001
                          My wife is starting to get jelous and she wishes I stared at her like I do the waxed vehicle/s. I told her I may do just that if she lets me put a coat on NXT on her. LOL.
                          ROFLMAO!!! But then you have to wait 15-20 minutes before you can touch her! The wax has to set up before being buffed!!!

Originally posted by 05PhillyStang
                          I find myself telling wondering the same thing about cars on the highway. Especially the nice cars. I think, "How could someone spend $60,000 on a vehicle and treat it like that?" It's not only the luxury cars, cars in general are probably the second highest value item most people own, behind their house.

That's when you offer to do it for a price! I've done a few cars in the last month and have a Mercedes coming up soon! These people are prime canidates for making money. They don't want to do it but are willing to pay YOU to do it so that their friends and neighbors look at their car in jealousy not only because they paid so much for it but also because it's nice and shiny!!

Comment

Yeah; I have the same thoughts that you guys do. "What do those Germans put in their brake pads to make that much dust?" A: graphite. "How do certain dealers always manage to put so many swirls in new cars?" A: low paid lot boys. Why do you spend so much $$ to have a car that looks like dog meat?

Just a psychological disorder, I guess....
                            2021 BMW X3M Competition - Donington Gray
                            2020 Chevy Bolt - Arctic White
                            2019 Fiat 124 Spider - Brillante

Some look better than others....

Comment

everyday i walk to class from the parking lot, i look at every car i see to inspect for defects.... then when i see a car that at first looks pretty good then i'd look closer.... then i'd either be like... o wait there are swirls... or be like damn his shines better than mine... gotta make mine better... hahhaha

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');