• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Proud Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Proud Bird

Today I got to do my first aircraft. Recently I decided to include aircraft detailing as part of my auto detailing business. I thought it a good idea to volunteer at a local aircraft museum to learn my way around them.
    Last time there I noticed how bad the finish was on a T6-Texan that we washed. The finish was dull, chalky and stained with grease, oil and bugs.
    This particular “bird” wasn’t a fighter or a bomber. It was a trainer. It isn’t as valuable as the other aircraft that is probably why it is stored outside while the more valuable aircraft are stored in a hanger.
    My goal was to remove haze from the finish and to leave the surface protected. Aircraft of this type aren’t painted with glossy paint. Most have a satin sheen.
    You can see in these pictures how faded and chalky the finish looks.

After testing a few areas with various products, I decided that an application of #66 Quick Detailer would be the ticket.
    Last edited by Superior Shine; Apr 24, 2004, 09:15 PM.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

I applied the #66 with a Cyclo dual action polisher. This plane was allot more work than any car would be. What I would do is to pick out an area and fully polish it before I moved on to another area. This step by step, area by area way of polishing it was the best way to make sure I didn’t skip any part.

Here you can see the difference between a polished area and an area yet to be polished. The area to the left has already been polished.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I choose #66 because of its cleaning-polishing and protection abilities. After I worked it into the finish it was easy to wipe off after it dried.

After almost five hours of work you can see the nice even deeper blue with the satin sheen I wanted to obtain.

Comment

Looks good, never really thought of detailing a plane, I wouldn't think there are many people out there that do that. As much as a plane like that costs even if its not valuable as others it still worth it to keep it looking its best.

I have used #66 before and have been happy with the results.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Ah yes, the Texas Trainer. Nowadays replaced by the T-36. Anyways, cleaning aircraft isn't all that hard, but there is a whole lot of surface area. Plus the bellys are a real pain. They get all coated with oil, and you usually wind up on back de-greasing it all by hand.
          Wish you luck! I've got to go do a Cessna 182 this morning.

Wayne
          Wayne

Still a Junior...

Comment

No doubt the aerodynamics on that plane have improved!
            r. b.

Comment

Superior Shine

I applied the #66 with a Cyclo dual action polisher.
              What CYCLO did you use as far as I know there are 3 types;
              1 Model 5 115volt.
              2 Model 11A pneumatic.
              3 Model 5CE 220 volt, 50 Hz Cyclo Polisher. (doubt you have this one)

Do you feel this unit does just as well as the Porter Cable 7424?
              comparing apples and oranges what one did a better job faster?
              would you "EVER" use the cyclo ? on an automobile finish?

Thanks in advance
              Rich
              Rich
              If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
              DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

I am not sure yet about the cyclo. IT IS AKWARD at first. If I had to choose I still like my PC for cars.

Comment

What did you use to clean off the oil and grease? Especially on the belly and gear?
                  Wayne

Still a Junior...

Comment

citri-gel !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');