Question about #80 - Does it contain heavy fillers?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about #80 - Does it contain heavy fillers?

Does it contain heavy fillers?

Will it cover up swirls and scratches more than it will remove them?
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Hey there,

No it's mild fillers in #80.

Bryan

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: Question about #80

Originally posted by silence
    Does it contain heavy fillers? Will it cover up swirls and scratches more than it will remove them?
    How do you define the word, fillers ?

Do a search using the word fillers and select Search Titles Only in the search preference option.

The word, fillers is a word used by the uniformed on other forums. Don't let yourself get trapped into that mindset. Remember there's lot of self-proclaimed guru's out there that simply copy and paste what they read and in essence act like parrots repeating information they never generated. The problem with this is that some of the information is good, while some of it is bad.
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Question about #80

Does it contain heavy fillers? Will it cover up swirls and scratches more than it will remove them?
    Heheh, I don't know what heavy vs light would be. #80 leaves a finish behind like a glaze would, though, so it will hide swirls and scratches to a degree.

But #80 is an abrasive polish and will also correct defects to a degree. As to whether it will fill more than remove, that all depends on what you are trying to do and how you are using it. If you use it on big deep scratches, it probably won't remove much of anything. If you use it on light swirls and spiderwebs, it will probably remove all of it.

If you want to check the finish as you polish, you simply need to wipe the surface down with something like 50/50 rubbing alcohol.

What is it you are trying to accomplish with it?

As an aside, I like #80. It's easy to use, leaves a nice finish, and isn't a heavy cut.
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Just to piggyback on what Aurora40 posted, correctly used, our cleaner/polishes like the M80 Speed Glaze remove swirls and scratches, they don't merely fill them in. Part of using a Meguiar's cleaner/polish correctly is choosing the correct product for the job, the other part is to work the product long enough to ensure all of the diminishing abrasives have been broken down.

I purposefully instilled swirls into the hood of our black Pilot and then using only M80 Speed Glaze with our W-8006 foam polishing pad on our G100 dual action polisher I machine cleaned the swirls out of the paint.

I then wiped the hood down with All Purpose Plus Cleaner followed by a strong solution of our Glass Cleaner in the Professional Line, followed by washing the hood with a detergent dish washing soap and then rinsed with water.

I think most people would agree that the above cleaning process will have successfully removed anything left on the finish by the M80 Speed Glaze.

I then moved the Pilot into the driveway in such a was as to capture the sun reflecting off the hood.

The swirls were completely removed, not filled in. The finish actually looked great, as though it had been waxed, yet it had just been tortured with two harsh chemicals and a detergent wash. I'm always impressed at the results that can be achieved with M80 Speed Glaze. When applied correctly, it leaves the finish clear, glassy and perfect for applying a Meguiar's wax.

Below is the deck lid off of the 73 Challenger built by Chip Foose on Overhaulin, it was filled with swirls and scratches. We machine cleaned it using nothing but M80 Speed Glaze with our W-8006 foam polishing pad. We applied the M80 Speed Glaze twice to completely remove all swirls and scratches...

One pass with M80 Speed Glaze on the Panic Parrot

One very well worked-in pass of M80 Speed Glaze on this single stage lacquer paint on a 1960 Tuxedo Black Corvette with no wax applied yet.

Before Side

After Side

Finished off with two coats of NXT Tech Wax Liquid Applied by Machine

Mike Phillips

Registered Member
    Mike, you ARE crazy!

I purposefully instilled swirls into the hood
    I then wiped the hood down with All Purpose Plus Cleaner followed by a strong solution of our Glass Cleaner in the Professional Line, followed by washing the hood with a detergent dish washing soap and then rinsed with water.
    If your not driving fast, your driving half-a**ed!

F150 4X4

Originally posted by Lncanney
    Mike, you ARE crazy!
    Shhh... don't tell Lynn....

I did it to prove a point because of all the keyboard commandos talking about fillers on all the other forums....
    Mike Phillips

Well the reason I asked is i came across somebody who said they used #80 and when they were done they brought the car into the sunlight and wiped it down and found they it had only covered the scratches I don't know any specifics on what they did. so I wanted to ask you about the fillers.
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Let me get this straight. Your friend applied M80, let it dry, brought it out into the sun, then wiped it clean??? Or are you saying he used M80, buffed it multiple times, then brought it out, and wiped it again?

I can't possibly see how M80 would leave any residue behind to fill anything if it's been properly used.

Remember, if you're buffing M80, it'll go clear--if it's still green/beige/creamy, then well...I can see the misunderstanding!

Did he use a PC or a rotary???

Tell us more about how the product was used.

Well the reason I asked is i came across somebody who said they used #80 and when they were done they brought the car into the sunlight and wiped it down and found they it had only covered the scratches I don't know any specifics on what they did. so I wanted to ask you about the fillers.

I don't know how wellhe used the product or the exact steps he did. I don't know him. I didn't think #80 had fillers, so I thought I would ask and hopefully this thread will answer this question down the road if anyone is thinking of asking.
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information