• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaf Blower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Blower

I was wondering, a lot of people have talked about using leaf blowers for drying a car/truck and j333_76484 said something about the water magnet and other drying towels slightly scratching so j333_76484 uses a leave blower and supposedly it worked better. Anyone have ideas as to wether or not it's a good idea to use one (pros and cons) and what kind of leave blower do you use or recommend buying. (brand, model)

Re: Leaf Blower

Originally posted by F-150
    I was wondering, a lot of people have talked about using leaf blowers for drying a car/truck and j333_76484 said something about the water magnet and other drying towels slightly scratching so j333_76484 uses a leave blower and supposedly it worked better. Anyone have ideas as to wether or not it's a good idea to use one (pros and cons) and what kind of leave blower do you use or recommend buying. (brand, model)
    Just to add a little clarification here before some folks misunderstand what I meant. I do use the Water Magnet and the Super Plush Terry as well as multiple other accessories from Meguiar's to wash the truck down. I find all of the stuff to be the best I have found on the market. But, having said that, I think most will agree that from time to time a person will induce their own towel induced marks. I think it is inevitable. Proper techniq will reduce the odds of this but sometimes during the drying process some errant dust may well fall on the vehicle and "ANY" towel would stand the chance of rubbing it on the finish.

I just wanted to clarify so as not to create any confusion and mislead people into thinking the Water Magnet or the Super Plush Terry Towels themselves were causing the problem. I will still be using these most likely every 3rd wash or so because when using the leaf blower you are standing back a few feet and can't necessarily see some of those little above surface contaminates that you might have missed during the wash. Sometimes these can be removed when a little extra towel pressure or (Forgive Me Here) picking at it with a fingernail.
    Last edited by Jeff Smith; Sep 14, 2005, 09:42 PM.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Re: Leaf Blower

Originally posted by F-150
      Hey F-150,

First off, let me tell you what I have for a Blower. It is a Craftsman, 210 MPH, 2 HP, 12 Amp (it's electric). I think it was like $70

Now, I didn't specifically buy this for my car and was used to do, well, er, ummm, leaves. LOL. But I did migtate it into my Car Care routine just this year.

This is my thought. No matter how soft (and good) a drying towel may be, there is still friction. Ontop of that, if I missed even a single piece of grit during my wash process, I could by chance drag that around in my drying towel and hence, scratch my finish.

So, I added the blower to my routine. No friction at all tells me I have reduced the chances of those fine scratches.

At first, I use to totally dry the vehicle with the blower. This can be time consuming because you end up chasing water drops around your finish. Don't get me wrong, it does dry eventually but take a little more time. Because of the time factor, I now use the blower to dry the vehicle , maybe about 90% and follow up the last 10% with the water magnet.

Pro's:
      1) No friction on your finish.
      2) Less towel usage and thus, needing to wash them in the machine.
      3) It dries wheels and tires great
      4) Works best when on a waxed surface

Con's:
      1) Another added expense to your car care arsenal. (your gf/wife may just leave you)
      2) You gotta wear ear protction. These things are freaking loud. Especially like me doing it in my garage.
      3) Your neighbors think you just lost it and verifies to them you are now insane.
      4) Depending on where you do your car care, your going to need an extension cord and be near electric. Unless you go to gas power and I am not sure if you wanna go there. I would have to think that one over.

Well, thats my spin. Good Luck.
      Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Re: Re: Leaf Blower

Originally posted by BJClarke001
        At first, I use to totally dry the vehicle with the blower. This can be time consuming because you end up chasing water drops around your finish. Don't get me wrong, it does dry eventually but take a little more time. Because of the time factor, I now use the blower to dry the vehicle , maybe about 90% and follow up the last 10% with the water magnet.

I agree with the 90% concept. Some water just hangs on. You can chase a drop all over the place and it just won't blow off. Eventually it will dry up.

This is why I started immediatly Speed Detailing after drying. Takes me just a few extra minutes of effort but with using the soft padding in the Quick Detail Pad along with the "lubricity" of the Speed Detailer, anything I might pick up will lubricated by the Speed Detaler and then while still wet wiped off on the Dry side of the pad. Plus I think the fresh Speed detailing really adds to the shine.

Usually by the time I start SDing the remaining water droplets are extremely small and even if they did dry up they will not have sat there long enough to make a mark. Even if they did the SD will get them. This works for me.
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Having just purchased a Shop Vac with a removable blower.... The blower does a real nice job getting the water out of the hidden spots. The list of BJClarke001 pros and cons is accurate IMO.

Getting a shop vac with the blower is the best way to go if you are not sure the blower option is for you. If you don't like how it dries the vehicle you can still use it as a shop vac.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I would agree that a leaf blower gets the job done quite well. However, there is still some friction, but not nearly as much as using towels/MF's

What concerns me is the speed that these blowers are made to operate at. You probably don't need 210 MPH of wind blasting at your painted surfaces. If some dust was in between you and your car while you were using one of those, wouldn't it turn it into a sandblaster?

Not saying that its bad, but just some things to think about before blasting your car with 200+ MPH of wind.
            WARNING! Eye protection must be worn when looking at my car in direct sunlight. Can cause temporary blindness.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtreme99_s-Dime
              I would agree that a leaf blower gets the job done quite well. However, there is still some friction, but not nearly as much as using towels/MF's

What concerns me is the speed that these blowers are made to operate at. You probably don't need 210 MPH of wind blasting at your painted surfaces. If some dust was in between you and your car while you were using one of those, wouldn't it turn it into a sandblaster?

Not saying that its bad, but just some things to think about before blasting your car with 200+ MPH of wind.
              You make a valid point. I think the 210 MPH is measured right at the nozzle. I keep it about a foot or two away, so you could say I am only getting maybe 190-200 MPH on the surface, which is a big difference. LOL.

I figured if I drive that fast, the leaf blower blowing at 210 Mpg wouldn't really be my biggest issue. (this is a joke)

Does make you think though and I really can not dispute your point. But my gutt feeling still tells me that I prefer to do it. (for now that is)
              Last edited by BJClarke001; Sep 15, 2005, 08:05 AM.
              Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                Having just purchased a Shop Vac with a removable blower.... The blower does a real nice job getting the water out of the hidden spots. The list of BJClarke001 pros and cons is accurate IMO.

Getting a shop vac with the blower is the best way to go if you are not sure the blower option is for you. If you don't like how it dries the vehicle you can still use it as a shop vac.
                got the same one! i love it! lowes, 70 bucks
                rollin 22's

www.fordexplorer.net

www.cardomain.com/id/explore_02xlt

Comment

Originally posted by explore_02xlt
                  got the same one! i love it! lowes, 70 bucks

well worth it!
                  Brandon

Comment

You could try using this. It's a car blower. I got it from Big Lots.

Comment

I prefer to dry with a synthetic chamois myself, and use a leaf blower for cracks & crevices.

Here's one at Wal-Mart for $23.00...

Might be just the thing for blowing water out of cracks, as it only moves air at 110 mph.
                      r. b.

Comment

I have been using a leaf blower along with water magnets or the like of for years. In fact the leaf blower I use is older then two of my kids!! The only thing you want be careful about is, make sure it is a leaf blower where the nozel tube atttaches securely into the motor unit. I Have seen ones that you just push the nozzel down on the unit and it does not truely secure it. I would freak out thinkin that thing would blow off and bounce off my hood!!!!

I use Q/D or speed detailer after I have blown it off. I got all my neighbors doing it now too. 5 years ago they all laughed at me. Who's laughing now!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MacDonald
                          The only thing you want be careful about is, make sure it is a leaf blower where the nozel tube atttaches securely into the motor unit. I Have seen ones that you just push the nozzel down on the unit and it does not truely secure it. I would freak out thinkin that thing would blow off and bounce off my hood!!!!
                          Never thought of that.

Might be a good idea to use duct tape to help secure those types of nozzles.
                          r. b.

Comment

...The only thing you want be careful about is, make sure it is a leaf blower where the nozel tube atttaches securely into the motor unit. I Have seen ones that you just push the nozzel down on the unit and it does not truely secure it. I would freak out thinkin that thing would blow off and bounce off my hood!!!!

I had this happen to me on my first try with the leaf blower off my vac... Just before it happened I thought something like that may happen, as I was reaching to hold on to the nozzle and keep it from blowing off.... POOF there it went! Hit my truck but it didn't do anything to the paint, the nozzle I use is a softer plastic, but now I hold on to it tight! Lesson learned!
                            Brandon

Comment

I have been using a leaf blower along with water magnets or the like of for years. In fact the leaf blower I use is older then two of my kids!! The only thing you want be careful about is, make sure it is a leaf blower where the nozel tube atttaches securely into the motor unit. I Have seen ones that you just push the nozzel down on the unit and it does not truely secure it. I would freak out thinkin that thing would blow off and bounce off my hood!!!!

I use Q/D or speed detailer after I have blown it off. I got all my neighbors doing it now too. 5 years ago they all laughed at me. Who's laughing now!!!!
                              what brand/ newer model do you recommend getting then?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');