• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detail Day in Allentown PA, wiith Meguiar's Rod Kraft (write up, no pics yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail Day in Allentown PA, wiith Meguiar's Rod Kraft (write up, no pics yet)

First, check out this awesome Tahoe...

Today, 4/25, the Lehigh Valley Miata Owner's Club held a Detail Day, with Meguiar's Rod Kraft, the Area Sales Rep Mid-Atlantic Region, giving a "car care" seminar to about 36 members and guests. Rod spent about 4 1/2 hours covering the basics of detailing, starting with "remove all your jewelry", through washing, claying& cleaning, polishing, protecting, maintaining, then covering leather care, tire dressings, wheel care, convertible top care, engine bay, and anything else he was asked, including basic rotary useage (Mosca raises his hand).

Unfortunately it was cold and raining, so we didn't get a chance to detail a lot of cars, but Rod presented the information is a way that made it easy to take back and use at one's leisure. Overheard, wife to husband: "Well, we've been doing this all wrong right from the start." Husband: "Yeah, so we'd better pay attention."

Interesting high points; "how much product to use", boar's hair brushes with leather cleaner, using #85 with a rotary (it's not abrasive, but chemical), demonstrating clay with cellophane, why some tire dressings "sling" (improper application) and how to prevent it, "what is quick detailer, really?", get those belt clips to keep your PC power cord off the car.... there were TONS of them, really. There was LOTS of information that is useful to rooks and pros alike.

Unlikely star of the show? Get ready, 'cause you're not going to believe it...

ColorX.

We used Curt's car, a '96 Miata in midnight blue mica clearcoat, as the test car. Curt's car was pretty average, not beat up like the Bronco II in Mike's initial ColorX demo, but not an Autopian car, either, with some acid rain etchings, some nicks and chips, and swirls and spider webbing. When the presentation part was over, and we started into the "hands on", I asked Rod to analyze the paint and make a recommendation. He suggested we claybar, then use ColorX.

WOW. That brought up a beautiful, deep, radiant glow on the car, where it took on the different colors it had when new, deep blue in direct light, and dark, almost black blue in indirect light, with tons of metalflake! What impressed me the most was the depth it gave, as if there was nothing on the paint, but the paint looked very deep.

It wasn't just the ColorX alone, btw. Claybarring first gave the car a silky smooth finish to start on. One very important point Rod made was about proper use of products, and products working together, and how misunderstanding a product and its place can lead to dissatisfaction. Rod made the point that if you don't clean the paint first, you are waxing not just the paint, but paint AND contaminants. This leads not only to poor appearance, but poor durability as well, as the wax doesn't stick to contaminants the way it does to the paint. So, sometimes "This wax doesn't look good and doesn't last!" is because the paint wasn't properly prepared!

I'll be getting pictures and posting them either later today, or early tomorrow. But, a splendid time was had by all.

Thanks, Rod, and Mike for helping arrange it!

Tom
    Last edited by Mosca; Apr 27, 2004, 06:39 PM.
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Great writeup Tom....You'll have to go into more detail about those pointers later on!
    r. b.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing this on MOL. I told you Rod was good and that he would do a stellar job of putting on a clinic for your Miata club. Best thing about Rod and all the rest of the Field Reps that work for Meguiar's is their passion for cars is real, and that's especially true for Rod!

Looking forward to some pictures, sorry to hear it rained. That always has a dampening effect on detailing clinics, (no pun intended). It rained during the recent Ferarri clinic and and almost ruined it, but then the skies cleared and the PC's came out and Ferrari paint shined!

Thanks again Tom,

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That was an excellent seminar! More like an instant BA in car finish care. I think the NXT thing Meguiars should bottle is Rod Kraft!

After I got over the "OMG, everything I do is wrong" factor Rod made the whole process a more-clear-less-fear deal. In addition to gaining gobs of knowledge about what product is used when and why, I now understand how to prevent a lot of those scratches and other surface defects from happening at all. No more will I use a car wash brush on my car. I have picked my last wash mitt off the concrete only to rinse and continue washing with it, it's trash. Oh, no sponges, sponges bad. And when my super absorber gets dirty I sure won't lay it out on a hosed off square of driveway and squirt it clean. Not that I would ever do that, of course (he says as he gets in the car to buy a new super absorber). Scratch prevention!

Rod, thank you for putting up with a bunch of Miata drivers (especially Ken ). Thanks for knowledge you imparted on an unusually dense, but open-minded bunch, speaking mostly for myself here. My Meguiar's product loyalty has notched up from 60% to 100% as a result of your, and Meguiar's, generosity. That's the most sincere thank you I can give.
        Regards,
        Brent

Comment

Welcome to Meguiar's Online Brent!

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Tom,

You did a lot better job on describing the event than I did.
            How many people did you have on the event?
            I bet 4.5 hours went by pretty fast huh?

Rod Kraft is a great detailer and a great teacher. We had ours for about 5 hours, it felt like only 1 hour. Tons of information and techniques.
            I posted pics on our events at Rod's house (4/3/04) at:

It's in Car Crazy Event Folder. Mike might be able to move that into the Detail Days at Meguiar's.

Comment

We had 36, spriro, which was just about the right number. Everyone could see, everyone could hear.

There was just so much information; as I talk to people, I remember more and more.

Unfortunately, this is what we had to put up with; and, Rod's pyrometer (used to show that the PC doesn't heat the paint) showed 51* on the car in the garage:

Louis uploaded about 100 pictures. I'm going to sort through them, and post a dozen or so here and around the 'net.

Click here if you want to see the photos unculled.

Tom
              Last edited by Mosca; Apr 26, 2004, 05:11 PM.
              As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Let me jump in and add my thanks to Rod for the fabulous job he did for our Detail Day. If you look at the photos (the link Tom posted) you can see which ones were taken first. We all have that "yeah, yeah, what are you gonna try to sell me" look, we're all very serious, arms-crossed, etc.

But, as the event went on, you can see the relaxing, the grins, then big smiles and laughs as Rod "converted" us.

Gonna be nothing but Meguiars for my baby from now on.

Thanks for letting Rod come and spend quality time with our cars, and their owners!
                Iva & Belle.)
                '90B Classic Red.)
                #3 winkin' Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Brent
                  I have picked my last wash mitt off the concrete only to rinse and continue washing with it, it's trash.
                  Um, trash as in trash? You can't wash it?

Wayne
                  Wayne

Still a Junior...

Comment

I understand that the dreaded dropped mitt is forever relegated to wheel cleaning or mundane duties, even after washing. Floor/driveway dirt is different than car dirt. A piece could Velcro effect itself to your mitt and survive a washing. Long shot? Maybe. But I think it's probably better to trash a mitt than my finish.
                    Regards,
                    Brent

Comment

Another Newbie here......

I attended Rod Kraft's demo at LVMOC and learned a lot and had a blast!! I have been using Meguiar's stuff for the past 3 years on my Miata with great success, but I'm slowly increasing my "professionalism" with detailing. Can't wait to see how NXT does and I also just got my first tub of clay!! After seeing Rod work with the PC DA, I'll need one of those also!

I posted some pics in Car Crazy (I think?), but move them however you want. I'm too new to know the layout here.

Again, thanks to Rod and Meguiars!!!
                      IBBugsy aka Dave
                      92 Red Miata

Comment

I know this thread is old and maybe dead (I hope not). I live in Easton, PA, which is neat Allentown. Are there any thoughts about holding another one of these "Detail Days" in our area? I know I would go for sure.
                        Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

I haven't heard when Rod will be holding his next class. I'll ask however.
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

We (the LVMOC) set it up every spring as a club function, and then invite Rod to come and teach; it's not a Meguiar's organized event. It takes some work to put together, we have refreshments and door prizes and the like, we make it an event for members. We try to set it up so that all Rod has to do is show up and start talking.

If you want to set one up, PM me and I'll help you out with getting started, or if you want to tag along next spring I'll try to get you some advance notice. Or you can track the events calendar at LVMOC.net

Next year's event will be our fourth, and third with Rod. We are going to spend less time teaching and more time polishing cars, but we'll be playing the videos for the new guys.

Tom

Comment

Mike,

You already know this and maybe (like 1000 times easily) you have heard this, but your the best. I wake up in the morning and see all the new posts for that day and think "Man, Mike's gonna have a full day today responding to all this". I don't know how you do it but keep it up. I know this site has sold me on all your products and most of it is due to your personalized attention. Thanks. And as I said, I would go to this Detail Day even if I had 100's of miles to travel. Just as a side note:

My vehicle is in the paint shop. While it is, I have a rental. Last night, I practiced all kinds of stuff on it. You guys have motivated me.
                              Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');