• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay Lube Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Lube Alternative

I spent all evening. (And I mean ALL EVENING, as it is now 3:52 AM and I started at 5 PM yesterday.) Washing and claying my mothers new Dodge Stratus.

I took my sweet time, did a little work on the car, did laundry, more car work, did a few other things. I like walking away from the car every little bit just to use new muscles and give my car muscles a break.

Anyway. I had a bottle and a half of the Mothers Clay lube stuff I wanted to get rid of now that my 3 boxes of Meg's stuff came in. So I used the Mother's kits up. I clayed the paint, chrome, windows, plastic and heck even think I clayed the antenna and the wheels and possibly even some of the rubber trim. I was a claying fool I tell ya.

Needless to say the 1 & 1/2 bottles of lube ran out right there toward the end of this claying Extravaganza. I did not want to break into the Megs boxes yet and I have been going through so much Speed Detailer lately I did not want to hit that stash up either.

I remember seeing a few threads from others about alternative clay lubes. For Examlple, Putting a little NXT soap in a sprayer then filling with water. I think someone else mentioned using dishwater and water in a sprayer.

I went the NXT soap & water combo for the little bit I had to finish up. Worked OK

Anyway, while I had it on my mind I thought it might be handy to dedicate a thread to this.

What alternative clay lubes have you used and when you used it did you get any negative results from it's use or did you come up with any unexpectaed results?
    Last edited by Jeff Smith; Sep 16, 2005, 10:54 PM.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

You can get away using the Mothers Spray Detailer, the Meguiar's Quik Detailer, Speed Detailer, Final Inspection, or just about any thing that is slippery water.

By Slippery Water, I mean Gold Class or Nxt (Gold Class Preferred). Basically, you just spray it on and clay.

Some people will wash a car and then rinse it clean then soap it again and clay it while it is soapy. They will then do a final rinse removing the soap and clay residue.

Comment

anyone here had an experience of clay breaking up when using soapwater solution? my 3M clay did.

Comment

Nxt doesnt seem to work well has a clay lube. Try 00wash and water mix, or maybe even gold class over the nxt.
        Rangerpowersports.com
        Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk
          [B]You can get away using the Mothers Spray Detailer, the Meguiar's Quik Detailer, Speed Detailer, Final Inspection, or just about any thing that is slippery water.

By Slippery Water, I mean Gold Class or Nxt (Gold Class Preferred). Basically, you just spray it on and clay.
          Could you elaborate just a bit on why the Gold Class would be preferred?

Some people will wash a car and then rinse it clean then soap it again and clay it while it is soapy. They will then do a final rinse removing the soap and clay residue.
          I am to slow to try to knock that out. I'd rather have a squirt bottle in my hot little hands.

Thanks for the list though. Good to know. I know some have also used a bit of dishsoap and water. I wonder if anybody has tried anything else and gotten decent results or has tried something and wished they hadn't?
          Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by tinman2
            anyone here had an experience of clay breaking up when using soapwater solution? my 3M clay did.
            Nope
            Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger72
              Nxt doesnt seem to work well has a clay lube. Try 00wash and water mix, or maybe even gold class over the nxt.
              Good to know. Thanks and noted.
              Jeff Smith

Comment

Outside of car soap & water soloution, I know of no other clay lube alternatives except for buying a lube spray in bulk......Such as #34 in the gallon container (2hotford's favorite).

Some use Last Step diluted at 1 to1 (50/50) with distilled water, and my current favorite is Final Detail (If you can still find it) diluted at 3 parts distilled water to 1 part FD.
                r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                  Outside of car soap & water soloution, I know of no other clay lube alternatives except for buying a lube spray in bulk......Such as #34 in the gallon container (2hotford's favorite).

Some use Last Step diluted at 1 to1 (50/50) with distilled water, and my current favorite is Final Detail (If you can still find it) diluted at 3 parts distilled water to 1 part FD.
                  Understand all. Got a Gallon of Last Step yesterday. Nave not opened it up yet.

Currently involved in applying DC#1 to a new Dodge Stratus with the G-104. Got the front Bumber/grill, hood, roof, trunk and rear bumpers done and then ran out of battery. Killed both of them. Just taking a break now gearing up to break out the DA and make better progress.

Thanks for the tips though. It's always good to know what your alternatives might be if you are gettng low on a particular product.
                  Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by j333_76484
                    Currently involved in applying DC#1 to a new Dodge Stratus with the G-104. Got the front Bumber/grill, hood, roof, trunk and rear bumpers done and then ran out of battery. Killed both of them. Just taking a break now gearing up to break out the DA and make better progress.

The batteries might last longer after they have been discharged and recharged a few times?......Just guessing.

Anyway, looking forward to your writeup on the G-104/DC #1 process, and the rest of it too.
                    r. b.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');