• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC 1-2-3 safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC 1-2-3 safe?

Hello. I'm new to detailing. I was in Autozone the other day and decided to get car wax. I purchased DC 2 and DC 3 and applied it after washing the car. The car looks very clean and glossy but the surface feels like sand paper-- primarily the horizontal surfaces. I'm planning on getting some form of fine clay and DC 1 for this and then every month applying it in this order: wash, clay, DC 1, DC 2, DC 3 (2 coats). I'm applying it to a dark blue '95 Lincoln Towncar

The question I have is will I damage the paint gradually if I keep applying it this way?

That combo won't damage your paint but I think you will find that you won't need to clay that often. I clay when the paint surface feels a little rough, every 3-6 months on average. A lot depends on where you car has been and what contaminants get stuck to it.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Re: DC 1-2-3 safe?

Hi waxrtw,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by wax4tw
      Hello. I'm new to detailing. I was in Autozone the other day and decided to get car wax. I purchased DC 2 and DC 3 and applied it after washing the car. The car looks very clean and glossy but the surface feels like sand paper-- primarily the horizontal surfaces. I'm planning on getting some form of fine clay and DC 1 for this and then every month applying it in this order: wash, clay, DC 1, DC 2, DC 3 (2 coats). I'm applying it to a dark blue '95 Lincoln Towncar

The question I have is will I damage the paint gradually if I keep applying it this way?
      Like Jim pointed out, the above products are completely safe for you to use on the finish of your Lincoln Towncar, when it comes to claying, you only need to clay when you can feel above surface contaminants that have bonded onto your car's finish.

To do this, simply feel the horizontal surfaces with the palm and fingertips of your clean, dry hand after washing and drying the car. If you feel bonded contaminants, then clay, if you don't then you can skip claying and go right to waxing.

Here's a recent thread that talks about how often you need to clay your car...

How often do I need to clay my car's finish? .
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: DC 1-2-3 safe?

Originally posted by wax4tw

Hey wax4tw,

I even think using the DC #1 and Clay every month may be too often but then again, it won’t hurt anything if you did. The time spent doing it and dollars spent is probably the biggest issue.

The problem is, you are asking a very good generic question (and I too have asked) and everyone will have their own opinion/s on the subject. What it all comes down to is how Car Crazy you want to be is the issue.

Right now, I am planning on Claying and cleaning the paint twice a year on my daily driver vehicles. Once before winter (mid-fall) and once right after the winter (mid-spring). If you read a lot on here at MOL, people always tell you to assess your finish before starting out applying products. So perhaps, you may want to assess your finish monthly and determine your own needs from there. If your paint doesn’t feel as smooth as when you cleanded and clayed it (aka: feels like glass), then you will have your answer.

In addition, it is just a tuff question to answer with an across the board answer. Everyone’s vehicles are subjected to multitudes of various environment exposure where they live, work, park and play. Also, factors of keeping a vehicle in the garage or outside 24/7 play into this equation too. That is really the root of the answers being left so wide open, cuz everyone’s variables are different. So, what I decide to do is my own answer and may work for me, but not others. You know what I mean?

May the Shine be with you and good luck.
        Last edited by BJClarke001; Sep 19, 2005, 05:46 AM.
        Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

You can definately use Meguiars Quick Clay and the DC#1 to make your paint feel nice and smooth.

DC#2 and #3 are pure polish and pure wax, so they didnt remove any of the bonded contaminants from the paint like clay and a cleaner will. Claying once ever 4 or so months is also all that is usaly needed, at most.

One last thing to consider is if you ca nwash every week or two, using a Spray Wax after washing, and that will also spread out the time needed between full details.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');