• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wool pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wool pads?

Hello all,

Can someone tell what they use woll pads for with the G-100?

Thanks
    Bryan

Re: Wool pads?

Originally posted by Blr123
    Hello all,

Can someone tell what they use wool pads for with the G-100?

Thanks
    Bryan
    Meguiar's does not sell a wool pad for use with the G100, at least not at this time. If you're working on a clear coat finish, chances are very very good that if you use a wool pad on a dual action polisher, while it may remove swirls and scratches, it will leave behind its own scouring marks which then you'll have to remove these.

At this time, the most aggressive products we recommend for use on a dual action polisher are our M83/W-8006 combination. After that it's time to step up to a rotary buffer.

PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike,

It was just something I saw on ebay and wondered if it would be another tool worth having in the box as it were...............I think I'll pass

Thanks again
      Bryan

Comment

Hey blr123,

Though I am not proficient at the use of the PC/G100 (got mine over last weekend), I think I know the answer to what your asking about the Wool Pads.

The W7006 Wool Cutting Pads are used for the bonnets added for product removal. My understanding is that these pads are stiffer then the W8006 and W9006, Polishing Pad and Finishing Pad respectively, which are a lot squishier.

Like I said, I did get my PC over the weekend and thus, I am researching like a dog (sniffing out info) learning.
        Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Wool pads are great for removing paint quickly like in a body shop situation when you want to remove your sanding marks. When it comes to detailing cured paint it comes down to user preference.

I personally don't like using wool pads on customer's cars, while Joe aka Superior Shine likes to make his initial cut using wool. Of course this is talking about using a rotary buffer.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by BJClarke001
            Hey blr123,

Though I am not proficient at the use of the PC/G100 (got mine over last weekend), I think I know the answer to what your asking about the Wool Pads.

The W7006 Wool Cutting Pads are used for the bonnets added for product removal. My understanding is that these pads are stiffer then the W8006 and W9006, Polishing Pad and Finishing Pad respectively, which are a lot squishier.

Like I said, I did get my PC over the weekend and thus, I am researching like a dog (sniffing out info) learning.
            But if I am wrong, someone set me straight. Maybe the W7006 is a cutting pad but perhaps not wool.
            Brad

Comment

Hi BJ,

I can tell you now the 7006 pad is not wool I have it in my hand rite now.

It's my understanding this pad is used with a bonnet over for final polishing, although here in the UK some of the guys had a mini detailing day yesterday and used it with ScratchX.

I think I'll be sticking to the 7006 final polishing with a bonnet myself

Here is the link to the detailing day mentioned above: -

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

You can see the 7006 pad being used

Bryan
              Last edited by Blr123; Sep 19, 2005, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Hi BJ,

I can tell you now the 7006 pad is not wool I have it in my hand rite now.

It's my understanding this pad is used with a bonnet over for final polishing, although here in the UK some of the guys had a mini detailing day yesterday and used it with ScratchX.

I think I'll be sticking to the 7006 final polishing with a bonnet myself

Here is the link to the detailing day mentioned above: -

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

You can see the 7006 pad being used

Bryan
                Bryan,

Thanks. I think I was too quick on my initial response and after sending it, thought it out and came back with a doubting of my answer.

As I said, I am learning and today I learned to think twice, post once.
                Brad

Comment

Hey Brad,

"Learning" you and me both and the curve is VERY steep eh

Bryan

Comment

W4000 Cut ‘N Shine® Wool Pad

Cut ‘N Shine® Wool Pad features aggressive cutting action without leaving typical difficult to remove swirl marks. Removes serious paint imperfections. Quick change Velcro® backing system.

W-7006 SOFTBUFF™ Cutting Pad
                    Foam cutting action without leaving marks created by wool pads. Removes moderate surface imperfections. Exclusive foam cell structure improves air flow. Quick change Velcro® backing system.

Comment

Hello the other PC,

I'd still be abit apprehensive using either without further clarification, I'm still going with the W-7006 pad with a bonnet over for final polishing, better safe than sorry eh

Bryan

Comment

Mike the way your word your posts, it almost seems that Meguiars may be looking at this as a possiblity! lol
                        Also, how come you don't personally like to use wool on customers cars? You prefer the W700(0/6) or don't like the ammount of marring wool leaves?
                        Rangerpowersports.com
                        Ranger72

Comment

Hello the other PC,

I'd still be abit apprehensive using either without further clarification, I'm still going with the W-7006 pad with a bonnet over for final polishing, better safe than sorry eh

Bryan
                          Quite wise. Discretion is the better part of valor.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger72
                            Mike the way your word your posts, it almost seems that Meguiar's may be looking at this as a possibility! LOL
                            I just like to keep the door open to possibilities in all aspects of detailing. I don't expect to ever see a wool pad for use with a dual action polisher, but I also don't close the door on the idea. When we close the door on new ideas we stop learning.

Also, how come you don't personally like to use wool on customers cars? You prefer the W700(0/6) or don't like the amount of marring wool leaves?
                            I personally don't like the swirls wool pads put into the paint, it's working backwards... you also have to be a lot more careful around high points like body lines and edges. I understand that a lot of guys like wool pads for the speed factor, but I don't do production work, so I don't care about speed. I would rather take longer and work forward in the polishing process than work backwards.

Wool pads are tools just like any other pad and they have their place in your tool box, I own wool pads, I just always use a different tool to do the job.
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I agree with you that wool instills more marring, I find that for the most part I only use them after wetsanding. I prefer wool first when wesanding, but sometimes use 84 and a w7000/6.
                              Rangerpowersports.com
                              Ranger72

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');