• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing help

I have recently noticed that when I am polishing my truck and start to buff the polish off (by hand) that there are certain areas, more like spots that seem to stick to the paint very well and I have to make an extra effort in getting the polish off in these areas. It is almost like the polish is sticking to the paint in these areas more so than others. Now this doesn't happen all over the vehicle, mainly the hood. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? Thanks,
    Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

I have had that happen too.... make sure you are not letting the polish dry, only apply a small amount in a small area around 2 x 2 then remove wet. Use a quality microfiber or 100% cotton terry towel to remove the polish and I like to change towels often to prevent build up on the towel the polish tends to remove easier with a clean towel.

Other things that may cause it... the surface of the car is too hot, If my hood is warm from the engine the polish tends to do the same thing.

I am sure other will chime in with some other thoughts.

Hope that gives you some idea... Oh by the way Welcome to MOL! There is tons of good info here.

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hi Snowman,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

• What are you working on?
        What is the condition of the paint?

When you use the words polishing and polish do you mean a polish like our Deep Crystal Polish, #7 Show Car Glaze or another one of our pure polishes, or are you using the term to generically mean a wax?

As gb387 mentioned, Meguiar's polishes don't need to dry before your remove them, only our waxes do. Also you don't need a thick coat, only a thin coat when working with a pure polish.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, I am working on a 2002 F150 and the condition of the paint is very good. The hood where the problem happens apparently had been repainted by the previous owner and you can see these small pin hole like dips in the hood when you look at a certain angle. Now not sure if this has anything to do with it but the finish itself is in good shape. I am using the Meguiar's Deep Crystal #7 as you stated for my polish.
        Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

A couple of suggestions...

Apply a thin coat, work in well then wipe off using either a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth or a 100% cotton terry cloth towel. Something with a nap helps to remove a polish.

Anytime you run into a situation like this, reduce the size of your work area.

Thin coats are all that's need, thick coats don't do anything beneficial to the paint and just waste product as well as make removal difficult.

Have you ever clayed the finish? Is the paint smooth like glass when you feel it with your clean dry hand?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yes, I had just clayed the vehicle before applying the polish. I might try the suggestions you all have noted about just working on small areas at a time. I learned something new today because I was unaware that you should not let the polish dry even though I pretty much buffed it off once I finished applying to an area.

Thanks for the "Welcome's"
            Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');