• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Vacation Essentials Kit"...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Vacation Essentials Kit"...???

Folks,

I'm finally doing something I have wanted to get around to for quite some time now: creating a "mobile kit in a box" to keep in my truck for everything from a vacation, to making a quick housecall for emergency service for a customer. I bought one of these (click ) camera cases off eBay and will be placing small squeeze and spray bottles into it, as well as some applicators and MFs.

So far, I've got this list of products to include in the kit:

ScratchX
    NXT
    APC+
    Glass Cleaner
    Meg's Uph. Odor Remover
    Natural Shine
    Endurance

EO Tire Swipe(s)
    Foam Hand Apps
    MFs
    Paper Towel

Any other suggestions or substitutions? Thanks in advance!

At least one roll of painters tape...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      At least one roll of painters tape...
      Good idea... though do I really need it if I'm working by hand? I've already got the green masking tape in my bag that houses the G100 and Rotary....

Comment

superdegreaser... it WILL come in handy! lol
        Rangerpowersports.com
        Ranger72

Comment

Clay.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
            Clay.

PC.
            The clay is a good thought -- I hadn't remembered that. The PC is in a separate bag that won't be kept with me ALL the time, but is easy to grab if needed. Besides, look at the size of the case, I don't have room for the PC plus all that other stuff!

I guess I need to look into a G-104

Comment

wow the camara case is nice.... makes u look extra professional ...

u forgot quik detailer....

maybe some 2000grit sand paper.... and soap.....

Comment

Your vacation is really going to **** if you detail your car instead of relax.

At any rate, you do need a detailer like Quik or Speed and having a box on hand is a good idea. Still, I don't see why you would bring wax because you can't wax a dirty car and you don't have wash solution with you or water do you?

I really recomend you think about bringing car soap before even thinking about wax.

Here is my mobil kit:

1. Supreme Shine Micro Fiber
                2. Glass Cleaning Wipes
                3. Bottle of Quik Detailer
                4. One Terry Towel just incase. Could need it for anything.

That is it. I can clean bird droppings, light dust, and glass.

Comment

Honestly, I would include the Mr Clean auto-dry car wash thing. Mainly because it's fairly small, and because all you need is it and a wash mitt. It's not awesome, and I wouldn't consider my car ultra clean afterwards, but it's like a touch-free wash. It's better than nothing sometimes.

You can wash off the majority of the junk, have the car dry without serious water spotting, and if you didn't clean all the junk, no biggie. You aren't touching the paint with a drying towel, you aren't waxing the car afterwards, etc. The car ends up better than before but without risk of inflicting damage.

I wouldn't use this thing at all at home, but I do like it on trips.
                  1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                  2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                  1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Sweet case. I'll be picking up the Meg's Trunk Organizer or the Deluxe case.

If you're going to add a wash, don't forget to add the Water Magnet.
                    Alex
                    '01 Blk Max. SE
                    '03 Blk G35 Sedan (GF's car)

"Hooked on Clay"

Comment

Guys, to respond to some of your comments (Thanks, BTW):

I do have a detail spray listed - #34 Final Inspection.

As far as washing, I again won't be keeping that in the car ALL the time (understand that the stuff in the aluminum case is to be with me at all times, to fix stuff even if I notice it while I'm out and about and have time to kill that I can fix it -- or if a customer needs something and I can't run home first). When I do have wash with me, I have two wash mitts (one chenille for wheels/tires/wheelwells, and one lambswool for paint), two mid-size buckets, and Protect-All Quick and Easy Wash. Like I said though, that is basically only with me if I will be out of town and needing to take care of something like that. Otherwise I'm not above "washing" a single panel with APC and re-applying NXT afterwards for a spot repair.

I did realize that I should include some leather conditioner, and probably some regular cleaner/wax (Maybe just some #66).

Jbirk, for me, cleaning my car IS relaxing!! So doing it on vacation is 'no harm done' as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I am glad you find it relaxing. I wish you would clean my car. I would hapily pay your low prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk
                          I am glad you find it relaxing. I wish you would clean my car. I would hapily pay your low prices.
                          What do you suggest that I be charging? I'm just afraid that I'd price myself out of most people's budgets....

Comment

I am not making any suggestions. I am simply saying a good detailer should be able to charge more much more.

I called a dealer and they told me it costs $150 for a detail.

Well, you and I both know that means wash with pressure washer, maybe polish the worst areas with a heavy compound and a rotary making a huge mess, and use a polish wax.

Well, I don't really want DISO, again.

I am just saying if a dealer can get away charging $150 you should get more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk
                              I am just saying if a dealer can get away charging $150 you should get more.
                              I don't disagree with that statement one bit. Unfortunately, in my area, people are of the belief that the dealership knows all, and is the best for anything and everything automotive service related. They don't separate appearance care and/or detailing from services like getting a new muffler, brakes, or the oil changed.

That's why there aren't many small-potatoes mechanics in my area doing huge business. Just the dealerships, and then large chain stores like Midas, Tuffy, Jiffy Lube, etc. -- there's no market for guys like me, except among the high-end crowd. And most of them are very hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');