• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Static on a Tonneau Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static on a Tonneau Cover

Ok, I have a question for you all and not sure if anyone has a solution. It seems that when I wax my tonneau cover that I get this serious build-up of static on it and it attracts everything. Is there anything out there or any secret to getting rid of this static and it may also be because I live in a very dry area with not much moisture. That is how most of Colorado is. Thanks,

Trent
    Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Could it be grounded somehow to get rid of it?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

not sure on that one. It currently is on the truck and I am not sure if there would be some way to do that. I have heard some people say to spray it with that Static Guard stuff you can buy at the store in the orange little can but not sure about that one or if it would hurt the finish.
      Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman
        not sure on that one. It currently is on the truck and I am not sure if there would be some way to do that. I have heard some people say to spray it with that Static Guard stuff you can buy at the store in the orange little can but not sure about that one or if it would hurt the finish.
        I get that on my vinyl tonneau when I use a dressing and wipe down, yes the dust likes it too.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

The static charge build up when your hand moves back and forth over the surface for example wiping off wax, so it's an inherent problem with the process and the nature of the materials, i.e. the paint, the fiberglass material the tonneau cover is made out of and your wiping cloth.

Water will remove the static charge, for example misting on some water with a trigger spray, even a quick detailer should do this, but then when you go to wipe either of these off you're back to creating the static charge again.

Catch-22

Grounding may help while you're working on it, I think you can do this by hooking up some jumper cables to a outside water faucet or anything metal in the ground, even a metal stake pounded into the lawn should work.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike, I might have to try and think about some of these tips if it starts to bug me too much...LOL It is sad though when you get it nice and clean and then all this dust and particles get attracted to it over night.
            Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Unless the tonneau is made of metal (most are fiberglass), carbon fiber or some other conductive (or at least static dissipative) material grounding will have little or no effect.

What kind of towels are you using?

Any time you rub two different materials together you get a static building effect called "triboelectric charging". The effect is heavily dependent on what materials are involved.

Moisture in the air and absorbed into the surface will help dissipate the charge. That's why static buildup is worse in dry climates and almost negligible in very humid places.

If you're using microfiber towels and getting a lot of static you might try wiping the surface with a water based product like Quik Detailer and a 100% cotton towel. Conversely, if you're getting the charging with cotton towels you might try microfiber.

PC.

Comment

well the cover is made of fiberglass and is a LEER product. I currently use a towel of 100% cotton on the cover. Teh results are great but the static just gets me all the time. I will have to try the detailer because it seems that more than one person has mentioned trying that and see what happens. Here is a shot of the cover and the results I am getting and why I hate to see everything from towel particles to wax dust getting attracted and sticking! Plus it stands out more with the darker color.

Trent W.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');