• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a website

What do I need to get a website up and going and the costs involved? I have no idea where to even start. My friend gave me the idea to sell products online and said that costs where low. I figure if costs are low, I might as well do it. I wouldn't mind starting one for my detailing business also. But like I said, I have no idea where to start and I'm not the biggest fan of using computers.

This should help

This isn't the total answer but should get you started. Look here:

All the help and tools you need to grow online: Websites, Domains, Digital and Social Marketing - plus GoDaddy Guides with you every step of the way

Good Luck

Comment

Re: Starting a website

Originally posted by showtime

* What do I need to get a website up and going?

* I'm not the biggest fan of using computers.

Just off the cuff... not a good combination for creating and running a successful online store.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: Starting a website

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        Just off the cuff... not a good combination for creating and running a successful online store.
        To do something like this, you need to be rather adept at the technical side of computing (programming/development, computer graphics, etc.)

Comment

signup for hosting

i use www.carpathiahosting.net. they have a $4.99 package although i have an upgraded plan. excellent uptime.

first you need to think of a domain name.
          Either your company name or something catchy like mike phillips TheArtofPolishingPaint.com

Use the .com or .biz only ...not .net .org
          preferably .com

Register the name at
          All the help and tools you need to grow online: Websites, Domains, Digital and Social Marketing - plus GoDaddy Guides with you every step of the way

Register domain names at Namecheap. Buy cheap domain names and enjoy 24/7 support. With over 16 million domains under management, you know you’re in good hands.

i use www.powerpipe.com

setup the nameservers to your host
          create your website. or pay some starving college kid to design it
          (remember the Nike Logo was created for $35)

you can even schedule appointments online

upload to your web server

advertise your URL

websites are great because they list all your services, promotions, prices if u choose

hope this helps some

Comment

I think that's what I'll do. I can get ahold of some college kids very easily. If you're in business and you don't know how to do something you want to do, that's when you hire somebody. Like you said, college kids work for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Five Star
              sign-up for hosting

i use www.carpathiahosting.net. they have a $4.99 package although i have an upgraded plan. excellent uptime.
              While price isn't always the issue and we all know you get what you pay for, I've been using

for about 3 years and have 3-5 different websites hosted with them and never any problems...

Total cost for the year for a $14.99 for year...

Not bad if it's just something simple, if you bandwidth increases then you can simply upgrade to a bigger plan. If you're serious about an online business and are looking at being in this for the long term, then a good place to do research on the kind of hosting you're looking for would be here,

Become a member and post your questions or just read the forum to see what others are saying...
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi,

I would second the go daddy service. In addition go daddy features a web site building program called website tonight. It's very easy to use and will get your site online asap. I think the checkout screen for retail sales is even pre-formatted on the website tonight program too.

Good luck and PM if you need further assistance.

Comment

Dayana Host looks quite good for what they offer. I must say that their plans look fair for what they offer, and I run a server.

I can't say their $14.99 plan is going to cut it though. 10 MB disk space isn't enough, and 3 GB transfer would last me for about half a week.

I would need about 600 MB Disk Space, 30 GB transfer, and an additional 60 MB for MySQL.

All I can say is I am glad I run my own server. I don't have to worry about any of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk
                    Dayana Host looks quite good for what they offer. I must say that their plans look fair for what they offer, and I run a server.
                    Dayanahost is good for what it is, little cheapie sites to start with and if you find success you can upgrade.

www.meguiarsonline.info is hosted on Dayanahost and for what I do with this snippet site it's a kill deal.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');