• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between Meguiar's Clay Bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Meguiar's Clay Bars?

Differences between Meguiar's Clay Bars?

I know that Meguiar's makes 2 clay bars. One comes with the "Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System" (G1116), the other comes from the professional line and is sold by itself.

I think the "Professional" one is supposed to be bigger, than the one that comes in the "Detailing System".

Is there a difference in performance, cleaning ability, or quality, between these 2 clay bars? If so, which is best?

There is actially 3 different bars.

The Quick Clay is mild, and comes with the lubricant for $10. Easy to use, about impossible to screw up. Should last through 2 or 3 average cars at least. It will take off most contaminats that an average person will face.

The Mild Proffesional Clay is close to the Quick Clay, but without lube. It is 2 or 3 times bigger, for about $25.

The agressive Professional Clay is the same size and cost as the Mild CLay, but because it is agressive, it may leave micro-marring in the paint. These will be best removed with a PC, so if you do not have, or do not plan on using a machine, this is best avoided. It will remove contaminants and oxidation easier, but unless the paint is in very bad shape, then I dont know if you would need it.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Differences between Meguiar's clay bars?

Originally posted by adreed24
      I know that Meguiar's makes 2 clay bars. One comes with the "Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System" (G1116), the other comes from the professional line and is sold by itself.

I think the "professional" one is supposed to be bigger, than the one that comes in the "Detailing System".

Is there a difference in performance, cleaning ability, or quality, between these 2 clay bars? If so, which is best?

The differences are in size and aggressiveness, or mildness, whichever way you like to think of it

Quik Clay System - Fine clay
      Professional Detailing Clay Mild - Mild clay
      Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive - Aggressive

It all has to do with the type of abrasives used in the clay itself. Meguiar's doesn't recommend our Aggressive clay to consumers and enthusiasts as it has the potential to mar or clay haze the finish. For a professional this is okay because they're looking for speed in removing above surface bonded contaminants and in most cases they are going to machine clean the paint afterwards so any clay haze is the least of their worries as they will be going after much more serious below surface paint defects.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I believe the clay bar has to be one of the best auto detailing product/tool to be developed what it does to a paint finish is simply incredible.

Comment

Clay bar technology enables anyone to safely remove above surface bonded contaminants without instilling any scratches or removing any paint.

They restore gloss by making the paint smooth like it was when it was brand new. They enable your wax to last longer because wax won't adhere to a dirty finish. The remove the things that cloud and block your eyes from seeing the true color of the paint.

Detailing Clay... it's not just for detailers anymore...
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the photo.... the pro line clay is MUCH larger, now I know why its cost so much more. I have never use the mild clay and I am now in need of some, is it just as user friendly as the Quik Clay? As in easy on the surface not going to add any extra work like the aggressive clay will?
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
              Thanks for the photo.... the pro line clay is MUCH larger, now I know why its cost so much more. I have never use the mild clay and I am now in need of some, is it just as user friendly as the Quik Clay? As in easy on the surface not going to add any extra work like the aggressive clay will?
              Bringing this thread back from the dead, but i would also like to know this. I noticed, Mike, that you posted the clays stating that the quick clay is a fine clay and that the other is mild.... To what degree of an effect will the mild have on a clear coat paint? and will it blemish the surface?

Comment

The milder the clay, the less chance of any marring.

If you have stubborn contaminants, like sap or overspray, where you must work the clay a little harder, then there is always a chance of marring.

But if you are just working gently over the surface for normal contaminants, neither of the Smooth Surface clay kit or the Pro-Mild clay would cause marring.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                  I have found the mild clay to be just as user friendly as the the fine clay. I switched over a 3 months ago. It works great for me. Good luck.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                    I have found the mild clay to be just as user friendly as the the fine clay. I switched over a 3 months ago. It works great for me. Good luck.
                    what do you use to lubricate? on the product catalog it says to use #34. can you still use a plain ol' bottle of QD with it?

Comment

In additon....

Consumer "white" clay kit includes 2 each 50gram bars (100 grams of clay total per kit)

Professional "blue" and/or "red" clay package includes 1 each 200 gram bar (200 grams of clay total per package)

Mike
                      Mike Pennington
                      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                      Meguiar's, Inc.
                      800-854-8073
                      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by JDMb18c View Post
                        To what degree of an effect will the mild have on a clear coat paint? and will it blemish the surface?
                        No.

This answer applies to any clay except the aggressive clay and that is as long as you're working clean, using a lubricant and using good technique claying will not harm the paint.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have used the regular qd with it. I have also used Last Touch diluted at a 1 to 1 ratio.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            ...They remove the things that cloud and block your eyes from seeing the true color of the paint.

Detailing Clay... it's not just for detailers anymore...
                            Here is a perfect example to drive that point home. This picture is the reflection of the door leading into my garage. It is off the hood of a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. The hood was washed and a portion of it was clayed for the picture. Nothing else has been done other than a wash and clay.
                            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by George Wax View Post
                              I believe the clay bar has to be one of the best auto detailing product/tool to be developed what it does to a paint finish is simply incredible.
                              And one of the most looked-over or skipped also.
                              on, people!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');