• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Scratches By Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Scratches By Hand

I have an '04 Corvette Z06, and it has been garaged the entire time I purchased it new. The color of the vehicle is Torch Red, and I have scractches I caused (using a napkin with water) by removing bird "dung" from the rear center on the panel directly behind the C5 emblem, and there are hairline scratches that were caused by a piece of material (not sure it was rusted metal, or aluminum) that blew up on the hood of the car when my wife and I were recently out on a day trip.

What is the best way to remove these scratches? When I run my fingernails across both locations on the car, there are no indentations. I have read alot recently, and have even conferred my Official GM Service Manual for the 2004 Corvette, in the clearcoat repair specifications section. Any ideas or suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it, and thanks for such a great source of information.

p.s. - oh, by the way, if this is the wrong section of the forum, I will gladly post in the right area.

Re: Removing Scratches By Hand

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TZScales
    (using a napkin with water)

A good application of ScratchX should take care of those...here's a link with helpful information Removing Scratches

I've used ScratchX on my black car with great results...the scratches you describe should be able to be taken care of with this product...good luck and post pics of befores and afters if it works! (not IF it works, WHEN you're finished )
    Bill Poirier
    West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Dedicated Detailer,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of using SCRATCHX, but was unsure. At least, I think I will start with this product, and work upwards only if necessary, e.g., a DA or Rotary Buffer with the appropriate pads.

TZScales

Comment

Hi TZScales

Welcome To MOL,

About your car do you happen to have pics of the problem area if viewable......that may help....
        Also regardarding what you stated "cleaning bird dropping with a napkin is a no no and im sure you will never do that again..
        what you need is for example is Quik Detaler spray and a microfiber towel (must to carry in your car incase) also im not sure if you are aware bird dropping can be fatal to the paint and actual eat the clear coat which the proper term is called etching that is why it improtant to remove that bird dropping asap.....

please let us know how you maintain your car(cleaning process)... what products you do have to do a complete detail please also fill us in on what steps do you do to clean your car.....ive heard my mentor Mike Phillips say Corvette have one of the hardest paint to work on" please correct me if im wrong Mike or anyone...

i am by no means am an expert.....about scratch X is a great product and it may work(appllied by hand) but depending on the size/depth of scratch(you can only remove so much clear till you get to paint(remove clear is a must) to remove the scratch use a meg High tech applicator also note when working this product put some passion behind the pad..(muscle)...also do you prefer to work by hand or with machine....
        Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Some of you may think this is gross, but if I get bird poop on my car, I flick at it (IF IT IS DRY!) to get most of it off before I attack it with the Speed Detailer and a microfiber. This is so I dont drag the crustys into my finish/nast up my cloth.
          Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
          Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Miguel,

I will post pictures as soon as I purchase a digital camera, either the disposal type or a permanent unit. I am presently using exclusively Meguiar's products such as the Deep Crystal Car Wash, Deep Crystal System Polish, NXT Next Generation Tech Wax, Gold Glass Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner, Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant and SCRATCHX for the minor imperfections I described earlier. In addition, I have been using CLAY MAGIC Detailing Clay.

Below is the process I use to maintain the car's appearance:

1) A thorough vacuuming inside the vehicle using a regular house vacuumn. I wipe down all internal surfaces using a damp terry cloth.

2) I wash the wheels and tires next.

3) I wash the car, dry it, and follow-up with claying.

4) I apply polish, and finally I put the NXT Wax on the vehicle letting it dry, and then remove it by hand.

I have not been using any machines such as the Dual-Actions or Rotary Buffers, but I am considering purchasing both to address both the scratches/swirls and overall paint maintenance. I admit I am a novice at using this type of equipment.

I will use more "passion" in tackling the scratches and etching, and will determine where I will go from there.

TZ

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlack
              Some of you may think this is gross, but if I get bird poop on my car, I flick at it (IF IT IS DRY!) to get most of it off before I attack it with the Speed Detailer and a microfiber. This is so I dont drag the crustys into my finish/nast up my cloth.
              Nothing gross about that, I flick the dry stuff too for the same reason.
              You don't have to go fast to look cool in a Corvette!

Before pitcures of my Porsche

After pictures, while it was parked

Comment

Hi TZScales

Okay if it were my car i would use a Quik Detailer and wipe (microfiber towel) the area were the scratches/problem(or you can rewash the whole car your choice) then respray the area again and clay making sure you remove everything...

if the clay moves freely with no hestiataion then your good(some may say skip this part but i dont skip part) once you finish wipe down again and feel the scratch (since you said you cant feel them it sounds like it on the clear coat(i could be wrong)...Meguiars recommends Use the least aggresive product first....

if im not mistaken you can use color x(thats if you have it or want to buy it first) after that i would try scratch X by hand...remember you will need to work in the product(muscle) its not like wax were you apply lightly and you dont have to wait for it to dry...below are what to use, how to use, should you have any problem or more ?? we are all here to help eachother out...

im sure the pro's will chine in with there own method or will correct me if im wrong or to add an extra tip...also do a search if you want (@ the top of the forum) and type in for ex. Scratch X, Color X,G100,Scratches, Swirles...hope that helps....no problem with the digi camera i dont have one either but we all love to see before and after shots.....have fun.....

Color X (first)

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

ScratchX

i remember some one saying incase of an emergency always carry QD and a microfiber towel with you accidents(bird dropping) will happpen...
                Good selection of products....im sure you have Microfiber towels,and do the two bucket method and have grit guards with them(im sure you just didnt write that up.....

Also about the G100 i just order mine its on the way i have had the privelage to use it @ Meguiars HQ it an awsome machine..it safe on the paint it will not harm your paint...it applies your product easier and speed up the process.....definetly worth the investment....

as far as a rotary i think i would hold off on that at least for me...that machine is direct drive and can do more damage if inexpierence as i was told it not the machine it has to do with the pad, product(cleaner/polish) hand technique,operator..but if you have a car that is really negelected and doesnt matter if you harm it by all mean that what i would do....

About the flick of the bird dropping you guys are crazy: ) j/k i dont think i could even touch it
                Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');