• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#20 topped with NXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #20 topped with NXT

Those of you from Autopia have probably seen this post, but I thought I would also share it here.

Mike was kind enough to include a bottle of #20 Polymer Sealant with my NXT order and since I hadn't used it in a while, I thought I would test it out.

First test, like always was the top of my washing machine (I've got the shiniest washing machine in the world, I think!) and the first thing I noticed was the #20 was thicker and smelled a lot better than I remembered. It also dried more clearly. The label says new label but same formula, but somehow I don't think so. #20 seems to have been reformulated in the last few years. Next thing I noticed was a nice slick feeling and good gloss.

Now on to real vehicles. I had a Chevy Tahoe and F250 to detail and the paint was in very good shape on both of them. I just had some minor blemish polishing to do with DACP, otherwise the paint on both were only in need of some light cleaning/polishing....something along the lines of AIO...no real surface correction, just to completely clean the surface. #20 has light cleaners and polishes in it (doesn't seem abrasive though) and leaves behind a polymer protection. Since I've had good luck with AIO/NXT, decided to try #20/NXT.

#20 goes on very easily, hazes and is able to be buffed off very quickly. Honestly, I think it is more user friendly than NXT is. I applied to two sections at a time then went back over and simply wiped off the excess. There was a slight brightening and improvement in gloss of the paint after applying and removing #20 compared to the paint that I hadn't yet applied #20 to. My customer came out to see how far along I was after I had finished using #20 on the Tahoe and about 2/3rds of the F250 and commented on how nice both vehicles looked, then ran his hand along the side of the Tahoe and mentioned how smooth the paint now felt.

I then applied NXT to both vehicles, then went back and removed the excess. NXT buffs off pretty easily, but not as easy as the #20 did. Low 40s, humid and windy probably doesn't help NXT cure quickly. Maybe when it gets warmer NXT will buff off as quickly (not to say NXT is a PITA to use, just in comparison...). Anyway, adding NXT to the mix darkened the color a bit and noticably improved depth. Slickness felt similar but my experience has been that NXT gets slicker a few hours after applied, so if I had hung around this guy's house until 8 PM (not likely!), I may have noticed increased slickness. My customer was very pleased with how both vehicles looked. I took pics, but probably won't get this roll developed for a few days yet....but I will add the pics to this thread when I have them.

My initial impression is that #20/NXT would be a nice combo on finishes that are in very good to excellent condition where abrasive polishing is not needed. Is the #20/NXT combo going to be extra durable since both are polymers? I don't know. I would guess whatever carrier solvents in NXT may remove at least some of the polymer protecant in #20 but it won't affect #20's paint cleaning ability.

Why not just use one or the other? Regardless of whether or not NXT has any cleaning ability, whatever it does actually have is very light compared to #20. NXT is billed as a last step product and I'll continue to use it that way. #20 has a nice glossy look, but depth is about average, so using NXT makes the paint look noticably deeper.

Hopefully I will have pics to go with this thread in a few days. I have three shots left,on this roll.
    Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Hey Scott...great write up!!

What method of application did you use for the #20 and NXT??

Thanks,
    Mike
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
    Bright Silver Metallic / Ebony Interior
    ASC# 1,575
    406 rwhp 392 rwtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6
      Hey Scott...great write up!!

What method of application did you use for the #20 and NXT??

Thanks,
      Mike
      Scott does everything by hand Can you imagine the size of his arms???
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Forgot to post the pics!

Comment

Comment

Hi Scott , Have you tried Color X topped with NXT yet? Just curious.

Comment

Very good looking!
              -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire
              http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...aCorrected.jpg

Comment

Great looking Super Duty!!
                -The Final Detail-
                Lagrange, Kentucky
                thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
                CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A
                  Hi Scott , Have you tried Color X topped with NXT yet? Just curious.
                  Nope, haven't even seen Color X for sale anywhere. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any NXT product either.

I will say that NXT topped with #16 Pro Paste Wax looks amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                    Hey Scott,

I have not talked with you in a while! How is everything?

I think I have seen pictures of that truck (F250) before?? I know all too well how much time and effort it takes to complete such a large truck!

As for the #20, it has been a favorite of mine for YEARS! One of the combos I have been using now for a while is the #80 Speed Glaze topped with NXT Tech Wax. I would be very interested in your thoughts on this combo compared to the #20/NXT.

As for the vehicles----Fantastic job as usual!!

Tim
                    Hey Tim!

You have seen his other F-250 that I posted on Autopia after using Clearkote's Moose Wax on it. He got a new one after his ended up with severe hail damage (aka north Texas acne) but got the same color and kept his light setup.

I haven't tried Speed Glaze yet. I may snag some next time I go to my distributer.

Comment

Hey Scott your work looks great.I checkuot your posts alot on autopia and I use your method with qew.Im glad there are guys like you out there because it has helped me a bunch in this addiction of detailing.Thanks a million Jerry
                      2001 ws6 Trans am
                      (Blackbird edition #19)
                      433rwhp
                      409rwt

Comment

Awesome. They look great! I'm looking for something fo my SD and the one you have up there looks great.
                        2001 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dually
                        4x4 with 4" of lift
                        I use A LOT of wax at one time!

Comment

Scott,
                          Good work and thanks for the write. I look for your post and your opinion on various products. Also, excellent picture of the F-250, I could not find you in the reflection. I usually end with my self reflected in the photo. Any tips on how to not be reflected?

Eric
                          Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Teak
                            I usually end with my self reflected in the photo. Any tips on how to not be reflected?

Eric
                            Look through your viewfinder and pan along the vehicle or change your shooting angle until you can no longer see your reflection in the paint.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');