• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use on leather wrapped stearing wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use on leather wrapped stearing wheel?

The only leather in my car is the stearing wheel but I want to keep it protected and in good shape. What should I use? Thanks in advance!

Wel i will tell you what I do and most probably won't agree with it but I have yet to have any problems with it. I really don't apply any product to my leather steering wheel because i don't want that "slip" feel to it incase I need to take action while out on the road or just being able to simply maintain my vehicle without my hands slipping from some dressing product. I am sure there are some here who do though and that again is your own choice. What I do though is clean the wheel by taking one of those Clorox Wipes and rubbing the wheel down good and you can see the dirt coming right off on to the wipe. It doesn't leave a slick feeling and the wheel even feels clean. I don't though go through more than one wipe because I fear that the bit of clorox that is in the cloth would dry out the leather and I don't wish for that to happen. I also just do this maybe once every two to three months since my hands don't get that dirty. I use the Meguiar's Gold Class leather conditioner from time to time to keep the leather moist and not dried out. Just my views on it.

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

For just a leather wheel, the Gold CLass leather Wipes should be ok for mild cleaning and conditioning.

I have used them, and/with the spray, with great results on many leather items, including wheel, seats, briefcase, baseball gloves, etc.

Much as with a dashboard treatment, I like to wipe on, let sit for a minute or two, then buff off excess.

Deep cleaning will certainly need something stonger, either a clorox wipe, APC diluted, etc. Just condition again after using a stong cleaner.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I also use the GC leather cleaner/conditioner, nothing else. Wheel is not slippery and looks great.
        2006 Mercedes C-55 AMG black
        2000 BMW 328ci silver-totalled by son (no injuries)
        1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 deep amythest

Comment

I too recommend that you be very careful of what you use on the steering wheel and the shifter knob (leather). To just maintain the surface you can use Quik Interior Detail or just a warm moist towel. This will help to keep these surfaces clean and maintained. The steering wheel leather and the shifter knob are done differently then leather seats. It is almost like a painted on color to this leather surface. This is due to the wear and tear that occur on these surfaces. Oils from the skin and hands can be hard on leather over time. To clean the surface if QID or water does not work, would be our Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner.

~Tom

Comment

Personally, I use my steam cleaner (Ultra Steam Shark) to clean the wheel, and "dress" it with QID.

The wheel usually needs steaming on a monthly basis, sometimes a week or two longer. I try not to get it too dirty, by washing my hands before I go out to drive whenever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by amg/md
              I also use the GC leather cleaner/conditioner, nothing else. Wheel is not slippery and looks great.
              Ditto....and it looks great !
              Bill Poirier
              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');