• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 pics: Getting that WHITE paint to POP with #21/ a Meguiar's day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 pics: Getting that WHITE paint to POP with #21/ a Meguiar's day.

Man, it's tough.

I spent most of the afternoon going over the Sube. This was one of those jobs where I really spent more time on the DETAILS than I did on the paint. I did the interior first, using #40 on the vinyl and the GC Rich Foam Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on the seats. I did the weatherstripping with #38, and I did all the door jambs with #21. I did the interior glass with the Detailer Line Glass Gleaner. I then used GC All Wheel Cleaner & the wheel brush on the wheels, and NXT Tire Cleaner with the tire brush followed by Hot Rims trigger spray on the tires. I removed the rubber floor mats and sprayed them with #39, then scrubbed them with the tire brush.

After lunch, I washed with Gold Class shampoo using the chenille covered sponges, dried with the Water Magnet, and then I used #21 with the PC and a W9006 pad, speed 2. I removed the #21 with the older mf towels, the Ultimate Wipes.

The biggest problem in making a difference with this car isn't so much that it's white; it's that it's pearl mica white. All the flake in the paint gives it an eggshell look that overwhelms any LSP's characteristics. But when I pulled the car into its spot in the driveway, the low angle of the afternoon sun let the car display some of the characteristics of #21, most notably the extreme wetness and gloss it gives. This is probably the best this car has ever looked.

A gloss shot:

In this next picture you can see how the satiny flatness of the pearl mica tries to rob the paint of depth:

Picking up a little reflection in white:

And another gloss shot:

All in all, I'm pleased. I guess I should have taken some interior shots; the inside came out really nice!

The NEXT hardest thing about white is the way it hides swirl marks. I mean, it's GOOD that it hides them, but that doesn't mean I have to tolerate them! But that will be a different photoessay for a different time.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Hi Tom,

Nice job.............looks good even in the shade

Bryan

Comment

n the sun the satin pearl paint flattens right out, no matter what I use on it.

Tom
      As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

That's the nature of that paint, but look at it in a hazy or even cloudy afternoon and it really shows. It's not going to be a high gloss color like a non-metallic, but yours looks as good as they come! Good work on it
        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Looks good.. Might not get as deep as other whites, but i think it looks nice next to plain white.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've got the same color on 1 of my Barus. Nice presentation of your work. I've tried various MEG'S products on mine & found the Gold Class liquid wax produced the best results for me leting the pearl show in different lighting conditions & increasing the reflectivity. I did get a Best in Show for the Daily Driver Class. Try it & good luck. Enjoy your ride!
            Death Before Dishonor

Comment

I've found 21 works best for light colored cars

yours is proof

Comment

I have the same style Pearl White on my Stratus. I have polished it a few times over this summer and I'm still finding swirls in the right lighting. Its amazing how well it hids them but its sick at the same time... Go figure. Gorgeous Sub, keep up the great shining.
                My Cardomain Garage

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');