• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help on product usage order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help on product usage order

Hello to all. Im a new member but have used Meg's products for a while. Recently purchased a 99.5 VW Jetta GLS. It was taken very good care of but probably not waxed often just routinely cleaned. Paint is in good shape but has a good bit of swirls. I dont have a pic right now so i'll explain as best as I can. It is also cool white in color. Anyway I have a PC 7424 and a good variety of Meg's mirror glaze products. 83, 81, 80, 3, 6, 7, 9, 20, 26, gold class and nxt wax, pretty much at least a little of everything enough to do a car anyway. So I'm going to clay first and then I'm kinda puzzled as where to go after that. I live in Ohio so with winter coming I want as good and lasting protection as I can get. By the way if it sounds like I have more polish than I have sense than thats probably true but when you have a friend that happens to manage a store that sells Meg's products and gets them for you dirt cheap than you take all that is offered if you know what I mean. So some advice from all you big time detailers as to what order to go in etc... would be awesome. I am competent with the PC too. Haven't used it much but step father who was an automotive restoration genius taught me to somewhat use an Ingersoll pneumatic years ago so it cant be any harder than that.

Welcome!

One the machine polishing: the DA doesn't get nearly as aggressive as a rotary/circular/high speed machine, so that will help eliminate the errors caused by higher speeds.

Next thing I'll say is to follow Meguiar's guide of using the least aggressive product required to get your desired results.

You do have quite an arsenal of good products: frankly, if you're into getting things right, you will have more than just 1 or 2 items on your shelf.

There are many, many good threads on this forum, but you've probably noticed if you do some looking around and some "searches." Detailing 101 is an especially good one since you get professionals and rookies alike.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

The PC is certainly safe and easy enough to use... Here are some basic steps:

1. Wash: Good quality wash and equipment of course. Dont want to instill more swirls now, or afterwards.

2. Clay

3-1. Clean: Start in a smal larea with #80. It may be enough to remove the swirls, or you may need something a little stronger. If it removes them, great, onto step 4. If not:

3-2. Use #83 and it should remove your swirls. Then follow up with #80 if desired for a little better finish.

4. Polish: #83 and #80 are cleaner/polishes, but if you want to use a pure polish, though not nessacery, you can use #7.

5. Wax: Nxt wax is probably the most durable wax, though a lot of people enjoy #21 applied by PC.

6. Maintain: Use a Spray Wax to maintain the good looks as wanted.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi there,

Usng what you have a popular way to go would be #80 if the desired effect is not being achieved after a couple of passes then move up to #83 then #7, #20 and finally topped with #26 wax although you mention winter is coming so you want as lasting protection as you can get........well it's generaly accepted that #16 is better (harder) than #26 and lasts longer.

So there you have it

Bryan

PS after my deail I wash once a week and top up with NXT Spray Wax...........it makes it last even longer.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');