• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto Parts Stores... knoledgeable staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Parts Stores... knoledgeable staff?

Well just that, it seems every time I go into a auto parts store I can't quite get what I need. It seems they know very little if anything about Meguiars products, well not just Meguiars but anything in the lines of detailing, (they have a whole area dedicated to car care and sell automotive paint). Now I go in looking for oil, Mobil 1 5W20. I know they (Mobile 1) make it as Walmart carries it on the shelf and I have bought it before. I was hoping to get a 5 quart jug cheaper than the 5 individual quarts. But just like every other time I am looking for oil (Mobil 1 0W20 or 5W20) I am told they don't make it. This has happened in several different stores. I guess I am asking the wrong questions in the wrong stores.

Just drives me nuts!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Haha, don't make one of the most common multi-grades huh? To them don't have in stock = don't make. I found that the best place to get oil is usually NAPA. At least NAPA has good service and they are more useful than any of the other chains.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
      Haha, don't make one of the most common multi-grades huh? To them don't have in stock = don't make. I found that the best place to get oil is usually NAPA. At least NAPA has good service and they are more useful than any of the other chains.
      Yes, I do agree with that, NAPA's are very helpful. The rest not so.

I was price shopping on my last oil change and I did call the NAPA that is about 2 min from my house and they quickly found the oil in their warehouse and offered to order it . They were a little high on the price. NAPA was the only place that said yep no problem, just the price.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Our family business has a commercial account with NAPA so I get a pretty good discount which makes buying through them even better.

Comment

I mainly attend autozone for my products. The stores differ. In one that I frequent, a guy who works there everyday is a meguiar's user and I can ask him questions about the newest products. At other places, they employees talk about using kit car waxes. Blech.
          Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
          Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Ever seen that commercial where the guy "magically" fore tells the part the customer is looking for! Yeah! Like it's ever gonna happen.

Parts stores SHOULD be like supermarkets, were you could walk in and buy what you need, and not have to deal with incompetent clerks that have no clue!

At least you guys have choices, down here there's only ONE place that sells parts for ol' cars like mine!

End of rant

Alex
            Mandarina Racing

Comment

I usually always have a good buying experience at my local autozone's when it comes to things like buying oil filters, etc. Fast and accurate service.

But some are a little mislead or in the dark on what the best products to use for car appearance.
              Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
              Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

NAPA tends to have slightly higher prices in most areas I've heard about, but they also hire more ASE trained parts people than the other chains.

NAPA also prides itself on inventory availability. There is a carrying cost associated with the vast amount of month to month inventory that doesn't move. To me, it's worth the few extra bucks, knowing I'm going to be able to find what I want.

Now, as far as detailing products, not many of those parts stores know much because they're geared toward hard parts and repair items, not appearance care. Most of them started carrying such products in order to to gain a competitive edge over others and to stave off competition from discount stores that eroded their business through sales of oil, wiper blades, batteries, and other parts.
                See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Try dealing with them when you have a rare car. I had a horrible time with Autozone when I had my SHO. I would tell them I have a 97 Taurus SHO, they'd just punch in a bunch of stuff and pull a part. Then I'd get home and what ever I'd buy would be for the standard Taurus with the 3.0 DOHC engine. This happened on everything from belts/brake pads/rotors/etc. I now buy all my parts online or from Car Quest.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlack
                    At other places, they employees talk about using kit car waxes. Blech.
                    r. b.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');