• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Follow-up to #67 One-Step Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up to #67 One-Step Compound

I recently acquired a 1988 Boston Whaler 17-Super Sport Limited with moderate to heavy gel-coat oxidation. My plan of attack for the restoration project is, after washing, to apply #67 One-step Compound (I have never used this product before), then #45 Polish, and finishing with two coats of Flagship Premium Marine Wax. All of this will be accomplished with the PC.

My question:
    Does #67 usually break-down well enough for #45 to remove any surface dullness left behind, or is it more prudent to use an intermediate step with #44 Color Restorer between the two?

Anyone?

Comment

I wish I could help you here, but I know nothing about detailing a boat.

I'm sure Mike or someone else with some boat detailing knowledge will chime-in soon.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
      r. b.

Comment

Hi DWE,

I have not used this product before so I cannot speak from first-hand experience. (Honesty is the best policy right?)

I do know that it is a very aggressive cutting compound for exactly your application. Knowing this, and knowing that M45 Boat Polish is a non-abrasive pure polish, I'm going to guess that if your goal is a 100% swirl free finish, then you're going to want to re-polish the finish with a less aggressive product before going to wax.

One note, you do need to buff that product until you have completely broken all of the diminishing abrasive down before stopping the buffing process otherwise you will have deeper swirls in the finish.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi all,

I don't mean to hi jack your thread DWE but I'm curious.......can we use #45 polish on cars?

Bryan

Comment

Thank you to all who have responded!

After realizing, now, that #45 is a non-abrasive, pure polish, then it does indeed make sense to use #44 (light to moderate oxidation remover) after #67. I guess using #45 after #67 would be the automotive finishing equivalent of using #7 after #84!--not a good approach, in my opinion.

Comment

Used #67 Extensively

DWE,

I have used #67 on my 53' Carver for two years. I have found it works best with wool 7" pads on a rotary buffer. With Clean pads, I have had little problem with swirls.

I have found that foam pads tend to wear out or clog up fast with this product and I have stopped using them. I follow up with polish and then premium marine wax and the boat looks like new!

Comment

Re: Follow-up to #67 One-Step Compound

Originally posted by DWE
                All of this will be accomplished with the PC.

My question:
                Does #67 usually break-down well enough ?
                DWE,

Have you used the M67 with your dual action polisher yet and if so how well did it work?
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Follow-up on #67

I have been refining my technique on boats/gel coat and found a whole new level of shine!

For medium oxidation and swirls I use #67 One Step Compound and found that in harder gel coats that this cuts quickly when used with a 7" wool pad and a rotary polisher. The shine is pretty good at this point and if you are not picky may be followed with polish (#45) and Wax.

I have added a step that produces outstanding results. I'm now following the #67 with 3Ms Finesse It II applied with a 7" wool pad and my Rotary Polisher at 1500 RPM. The wool pads clog quickly and a spur to keep them working is required. This product produces a shine I have not found in Meguiars products (sorry). I then follow with Meguiars Polish and the Meguiars Premium Marine Wax. Works great and the shine is outstanding.

Comment

Re: Follow-up on #67

Originally posted by stephentfreitas

This product produces a shine I have not found in Meguiars products (sorry).
                    Have you tried M03 Machine Glaze?

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Not tried Machine Glaze

Thanks for the hint Mike. I will give Machine Glaze a try. Becuase it was outside the marine line it never came to my attention. 3M markets Finesse IT II as a marine product. Maybe Meguiars should do something similar with its Machine Glaze? Are you distributing free samples in return for great marketing advice?

Comment

Re: Not tried Machine Glaze

Originally posted by stephentfreitas
                        Thanks for the hint Mike. I will give Machine Glaze a try. Becuase it was outside the marine line it never came to my attention. 3M markets Finesse IT II as a marine product. Maybe Meguiars should do something similar with its Machine Glaze? Are you distributing free samples in return for great marketing advice?

While M03 Machine Glaze in in our automotivie Professional Line, it's been used in the Fiberglas and Plastics industries for as long as these industries have existed.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: Re: Follow-up on #67

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          Have you tried M03 Machine Glaze?

Question...is it offered in a smaller quanity? I'd like to give it a test on my Daytona Eliminator.
                          HammerDown

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Follow-up on #67

Originally posted by HammerDown
                            Question...is it offered in a smaller quanity? I'd like to give it a test on my Daytona Eliminator.
                            In the above diagram you will see where it's offered in a 16oz size too.
                            r. b.

Comment

Meguiars Machine Glaze

As Mike suggested I gave Machine Glaze a try and I liked the result! In a previous post I had discussed 3Ms Finesse It II as a follow up to #67 One Step Compound for an outstanding shine! I gave Machine Glaze a try and found it also worked great with the added bonus of less build up on the pad and therefore was faster because I ended up using the spur less often.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');