• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X and the PC anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X and the PC anyone?

So I know that Scratch X was not designed for use with the PC. And while I will not recommend the following method, I will say that I used it with great success.

(It halps to have a car with screwed up paint to practice on.)

Anyway....I applied the Scratch X with the PC and found the following:

A) Holy **** it cleans
    B) Holy **** it dries fast and harder than dog poop on a hot summer day.
    C) A MF bonnet on the PC with a little QD takes it off very quickly.
    D) Any remaining residue is easily removed with whatever product you are using next. #83 in my case.

It certainly cut down the time factor on doing it by hand. And from what I can see, it really cleaned the paint up nice.

Dave
    In The Details

I'll have to try a tube of it with a PC sometime soon.

#83 is stronger than ScratchX........Course, maybe you already know that.
    r. b.

Comment

Try it with a rotary some time On my chin spoiler (partially shown below) and a few other areas on the flat front panels, I used a bit of Scratch-X on a finishing pad at 1,000 rpms (the lowest setting on my rotary) to try and restore some life to the pieces which have 84,000 miles of abuse.

It actually worked quite well but remember, I only used small amouts of Scratch-X, on small areas at a low speed, with a soft pad. With all the sharp edges and corners, I didn't want to use anything too strong but at the same time, I wanted to deep clean it as much as possible and since these areas see little or no machine polishing, they needed more work than I was wanting to do by hand.

While I don't have a problem experimenting like this, I would not recommend it to someone who is just beginning in the hobby.

Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
        I'll have to try a tube of it with a PC sometime soon.

#83 is stronger than ScratchX........Course, maybe you already know that.
        hmmm...no I didn't. For some reason the Scratch X seems to take away more problems than just the #83 alone. Maybe it me. It's entirely possible. They have told me that before.

Comment

Originally posted by inthedetails
          hmmm...no I didn't. For some reason the Scratch X seems to take away more problems than just the #83 alone. Maybe it me. It's entirely possible. They have told me that before.

I've never used #83 for spot treatments yet, but I've heard others say that ScratchX works very well for areas like this......Like bird dropping stains for instance.
          r. b.

Comment

PC

EVERYONE KEEPS TALKING ABOUT USING A PC WITH #83 OR SCRATCHX. WHAT IS A PC. I AM NEW TO THIS SITE, THANKS

Comment

Re: PC

Originally posted by JSUPER
              EVERYONE KEEPS TALKING ABOUT USING A PC WITH #83 OR SCRATCHX. WHAT IS A PC. I AM NEW TO THIS SITE, THANKS
              Hi JSUPER!.........Welcome to the forum.

Here is a PC (Short for Porter Cable dual action polisher.....aka DA polisher, and G100)

Here's a link to a section of the forum that pertains to the use of the PC....

r. b.

Comment

PC

WERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO PURCHASE A PC? WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO PAY FOR ONE? IS A PC JUST FOR WAXING A CAR?

THANKS AGAIN

Comment

Re: PC

Originally posted by JSUPER
                  WERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO PURCHASE A PC? WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO PAY FOR ONE? IS A PC JUST FOR WAXING A CAR?

THANKS AGAIN
                  You can buy them at Lowe's for a little over $100.00, but it only comes with a 1 year warranty and not much else.

Meguiar's sells them at a higher price, but their version comes with a lifetime warranty, and you can also find package deals at Meguiars.com web site that includes enough products to detail the whole car with.

A PC does more than apply wax. With the right products, it can do mild to moderate paint correction too.

Be sure to read the link that I posted for you. It has a lot of good info about the PC there.

Edit: Here's a link to a PC special...

And another....

r. b.

Comment

Hey!

Sorry don't have any help. But wanted to say I love the Mack Fire Engine

Comment

It was a fun detail...my retired Chief passed away, and we used it in the Memorial Service. I decided to leave it as my avatar.

It was nice to undo 20 years of neglect, and a good chance for a group of us to bond while doing a project.

Here is another pic:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');