• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working clean

I always sweep out my garage before doing any work on the car. This really cuts down on dust being blown around, or dust getting on power cords and ultimately the car.

I also always wipe down extension cords and the power cords on my tools after use so they are clean and ready to go next time.
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Sounds like you don't have kids...LOL

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

I don't have a garage but I wipe down my extenstion cords and such after each use.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2
        I don't have a garage but I wipe down my extenstion cords and such after each use.
        No garage here either. I do this best I can. Fortunately my Driveway is asphault with good drainage. Ihave a nice 2'x2' drain box on the low end.

I tend to pull the leaf blower out and blow the dust and debris off the driveway before starting. Then after I wash, I pull the truck to the far end of the driveway. Then use the leaf blower again to push and residual water to the drain. The move the truck back.

I like to think it helps.

I love it when I have a buddy over detailing with me. I tend to play "CLEAN UP DUDE". I do just about all the clean up work and try to clean as we go. Washing/rinsing MFs, cleaning buckets, pads, etc. This way as the day comes to a close all the clean up work is done except for whatever we have in our hands when done. I'll usually let my buddy run the DA while I clean up. When the clean up is caught up, I'll pitch in on something like polishing wheels or something and do more of the deatil work while he works to finish. Makes for a great tag team effort. Plus, I like to clean my own gear, and know what has hit the ground.
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

never have swept before a detail but sure seems like a smart idea... I do wipe the cords down, don't like dirty cords! gets all over everything.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
            I love it when I have a buddy over detailing with me. I tend to play "CLEAN UP DUDE". I do just about all the clean up work and try to clean as we go. Washing/rinsing MFs, cleaning buckets, pads, etc. This way as the day comes to a close all the clean up work is done except for whatever we have in our hands when done.
            I don't usually have help, but I like to clean up as I go too. Saves time at the end of the day, and keeps me from tripping all over everything during a detail.
            r. b.

Comment

Aurora 40, I agree with you on the process. I use the leaf blower to get things dusted off the ground, then get to work.

If there is time during a detail, I also like to use Jeff's method of cleaning up as I go. At the end of the day, I want to marvel at my results, not pick up dirty towels.

When I had the business, I employed one specific person to do this around our shop. This person did towel laundry, refilled spray and squirt bottles, emptied vacuums, cleaned our grease trap/reclaim system, cleaned floor mats, etc. This freed the more skilled people to do other jobs. Sometimes we were all under time deadlines, so everyone knew where the designated spots to "toss" things were until we could do a thorough pickup later.

Being the apprentice gave incentive for this person to watch, learn, and work their way up the pay and skill scale.
              See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');