• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car Prep

To all detailers out there,

Can somebody enlighten me on the proper procedure to strip off the wax from a new car. (That thick layer of wax coating coming from the manufacturers)

thanks in advance

I assume you are working on your new car, and by hand.. It is best to just follow the 5 step system:

1. Wash - Using Nxt or Gold Class

2. Clay

3. Clean - Using DC#1 if paint is in good shape, ScratchX is swirls need fixed.

4. Polish - DC#2

5. Wax - Nxt Wax or Gold Class are good waxes to start with.

Steps 2 and 3 will safely remove the wax, without harsh detergents like Dawn, or other chemicals.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
      I assume you are working on your new car, and by hand.. It is best to just follow the 5 step system:

1. Wash - Using Nxt or Gold Class

2. Clay

3. Clean - Using DC#1 if paint is in good shape, ScratchX is swirls need fixed.

4. Polish - DC#2

5. Wax - Nxt Wax or Gold Class are good waxes to start with.

Steps 2 and 3 will safely remove the wax, without harsh detergents like Dawn, or other chemicals.
      Thanks for your reply Murr1525, maybe i did not make my question clear. What i am referring to is how to remove the car manufacturer's wax. (the thick layer of wax coating on new cars that protects the paint during transportation)

Comment

You're talking about cosmoline, correct? That stuff is a nightmare to take off.

I recommend using a product like wax and grease remover (usually used as a prep for paint touch-up) to dissolve it; I find that to be the quickest method to cut it.

You could also try some adhesive remover which is approved for automotive paint (some, like goo-off, are dangerous for paint if left too long).

Comment

We used 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover.

Strik is one that I hear a lot from the BMW guys. It's made by Zymol. Their claim is that it's not caustic or harsh like other solvents.
          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by Pete-FWA
            We used 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover.

Strik is one that I hear a lot from the BMW guys. It's made by Zymol. Their claim is that it's not caustic or harsh like other solvents.
            I am sure strik works well but is also very expensive for what you get. I am sure the 3M product is more cost effective to use in a shop.

My recommendation is AI new car prep, but I advise reading the label, using safety precautions and working in a well ventilated area.

Does anyone know if Meguiar's Body solvent would work for this?

Eric
            Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');