• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which size pads do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which size pads do you use?

First off, I did read this thread, but I wanted to get some more opinions on the subject. I should receive my Makita 9227c this week and I've already purchased a backing plate and 2 8" yellow pads from a local detail supply store, but now I'm thinking maybe I should return them and just use 6.5" pads on the rotary. My main reasoning is they will be interchangable between my PC and Makita (following the one product per pad rule, of course). Is this good enough reasoning to use 6.5" pads instead of 8"? Is there really a huge difference between the two, or is it really just personal preference? I understand some say its easier to control the 6.5" pads, but I figure that the 8" should be just as easy to use if given proper time to learn. Any experiences or help on this issue is greatly appreciated!
    6.5"
    73.89%
    8"
    7.96%
    both
    18.14%

A big reason is that the 6.6" pad is able to fit into more areas that a bigger pad cannot, esp on cars with more tight areas, like spoilers, etc.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I use both but most often the 6" pads are my choice. If I have a large surface to do some correction on it's much faster to use the 8 inch pad than the 6 inch. On side panels and curved surfaces the 6 inch is almost perfect in size and easier to work with.
      Quadruple Honda Owner
      Black cars are easy!

Comment

I use the 6.5" pads; mainly so I don't have to maintain a separate set of pads for the rotary and the G100....

Comment

Once in a blue moon I'll use a pad larger than 6.5" but not often enough to answer "both". It's more likely that I'll use a 4" pad for correcting a single RIDS. Another gentle nudge: some of us would buy 4" pads from Meguiar's
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

8" for virtually everything here

Feels most consistent to me and keeps cabinet clutter to a minimum

For DA use, obviously, I move to the smaller ones, but that's for the different type of machine and the way it operates

Really, it's personal preference on what size you choose. Some don't worry about tight spaces or do them by hand, some use the 6.5 for everything. The results are no different, given identical technique and products.
            See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

I use mostly the 8" pads due to what type of work I am doing.. cutting and buffing fresh paints.. I use the 6.5" on the DA polisher..

Matthew
              King of Bondo

Comment

7.5" sonus orange and yellow for me

Comment

8" and some time 7.5"

Comment

The larger the pad, the harder it will be to use, the more likely it can cause damage because the edge is moving at a faster speed. Also most cars, unless you have a Hummer have curved panels, having the larger pad doesn't make you buff any faster, if anything it gets really annoying trying to get into some curves.

Comment

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
                      The larger the pad, the harder it will be to use, the more likely it can cause damage because the edge is moving at a faster speed. Also most cars, unless you have a Hummer have curved panels, having the larger pad doesn't make you buff any faster, if anything it gets really annoying trying to get into some curves.
                      I absolutely agree with this. I bought 8" pads to try to learn on and really regretted it. It kind of turned me off the rotary for a while, but I think once work slows down I'll order some 6.5 inchers and give it another shot.
                      My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Comment

The 6.5 pad is really all I use unless I detail a boat or really long flat panels.
                        2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
                        Show Car Detail

Comment

6.5inch (150mm) is standard. The 8" size is a little bit too large, only useful for the roof/bootlit/bonnet.

Comment

6,5" but will try 8" soon on my rotary
                            Detailing cars is a form of art. Most appreciate it, few possess the required skill and even fewer understand it.

Comment

When I bought my rotary it came with a "no name" 6,5" pad, so that was what I started out with. But from what I know now it was a lousy pad - foam was hard and of bad quality. So when I got some 8" Megs pads, they were so much easier to use! Since then I have pretty much only been using 8" pads. But my rotary can get quite hot sometimes, as it is a compact model actually only recommended for up to 6,5" pads... I will try some 6,5" pads for larger areas, to compare the time used on polishing the surface with different pad sizes. I know the rotary will like the small size better
                              "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
                              - Back To The Future

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');