• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does #2 stand in the mix??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does #2 stand in the mix??

I was at the auto store yesterday picking up some items and they had some #2 there and I debating about picking it up but decided to wait until I found out more info from you all this morning. I currently have #9 and it seems to be very light on getting any defects out such as the simple water spots, slight swirls, etc. So would #2 be the next step or would it be #82 or #83?? I just don't hear much talk about the #2 product being used.

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

For me, #2 tends to be for older style single stage paints. I don't use it very often unless it's polishing some plastic parts or that rare single stage that doesn't require much work.

#9 is VERY light polish.

Next step up is #82, Swirl Free Polish, but it is also very light on the scale of aggressiveness.

#80, Speed Glaze, is a great product since it's a versitile one that has a decent amount of initial cleaning and reduces to a rich polish. Many people will use this and go straight to a wax or sealant after.

Do some searches on the forum for each of those products and you'll find quite a few answers and comments.

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

The old formula #2 was recommended for rotary use only so people who use a DA polisher or both DA and rotary polishers tended to stay with products that could be used with a DA.

The new reformulated #2 hasn’t been out very long. I don’t think too many people have had a chance to try it yet. It can be used by rotary, DA, orbital or hand.

On the Meguiar’s aggressiveness scale new #2 falls between #80 and #83.

If you want to try #2 read the label carefully. There’s probably still a lot of old #2 in supplier inventories.

My cat prefers the new #2. I don’t let him use the rotary.

PC.

Comment

Wow, a 5! Pc, how does your cat use the #2? Does he really use it as an in-between choice if #80 is too light and #83 too heavy? Or does #2 have less "polishing oil" content? I have a bottle of the old, old, #2, back when it WAS labeled for hand application. That stuff is very solventy, great for paint transfers.

Comment

Mike, are you talking about the Pro line bottle with minimal burgundy lettering on it? I still have a gallon of #2 in the basement with that same style label.

*goes downstairs to read it*

I was wrong. My gallon says "For use with rotary, orbital, or by hand". It was my 16 oz dispenser bottle I've refilled since the 80s that said "rotary or orbital only".

Does anyone use #2 on clear coated finishes? I did when the clears started showing up in the mid-80s, but that's about it.
          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
            Wow, a 5! Pc, how does your cat use the #2? ...
            He hasn’t gotten a chance to use new #2 side by side with #83 yet. Hopefully we’ll be able to try that soon. He’s a pretty old cat, more experienced with single stage finishes. So far he’s only worked base/clear finishes by paw.

Originally posted by Pete-FWA
            ... I still have a gallon of #2 in the basement with that same style label.

*goes downstairs to read it*

I was wrong. My gallon says "For use with rotary, orbital, or by hand". It was my 16 oz dispenser bottle I've refilled since the 80s that said "rotary or orbital only".

Does anyone use #2 on clear coated finishes? I did when the clears started showing up in the mid-80s, but that's about it....
            IIRC (and I hope Mike Phillips will chime if I’m getting this wrong) they didn’t change the formula back when they switched the labeling to “rotary only”. They did it because of the proliferation of clearcoat finishes, some of which didn’t respond as well to traditional products.

I guess they decided they needed to keep the #2 product going in the age of two-stage so they reformulated it.

On MOL fun day we did a two-stage black NSX with spoiledman polishing with new #2. I followed with NXT. He was quite pleased with working the product and the result was great.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc

PC.
              You're killing me Paul...
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Holy heck, PC,

That cat looks GREAT! What else did you use on him? I'd figure you clayed, then of course the #2, then you said clearcoat... #81? Did you go with the NXT, or #21? You said no rotary; what speed did you use on the PC?

Once again, fantastic!

Tom

Originally posted by the other pc
                The old formula #2 was recommended for rotary use only so people who use a DA polisher or both DA and rotary polishers tended to stay with products that could be used with a DA.

The new reformulated #2 hasn’t been out very long. I don’t think too many people have had a chance to try it yet. It can be used by rotary, DA, orbital or hand.

On the Meguiar’s aggressiveness scale new #2 falls between #80 and #83.

If you want to try #2 read the label carefully. There’s probably still a lot of old #2 in supplier inventories.

PC.
                Last edited by Mosca; Oct 28, 2005, 08:40 AM.
                As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca
                  Holy heck, PC,

That cat looks GREAT!...
                  Thanks, he's an awesome cat. I do have to admit that he and his sidekick prefer sleeping on cars to buffing them.

Originally posted by Mosca
                  ... What else did you use? I'd figure you clayed, then of course the #2, then you said clearcoat... #81? Did you go with the NXT, or #21? You said no rotary; what speed did you use on the PC?...
                  It was getting kind'a late and Mike wasn't sure if there was time to do the whole car but Chris, Joe and me were like "hey, there's three of us with three PCs, we can do it". So Chris and Joe polished while I followed with wax.

The NSX was in pretty good shape to begin with. It didn't have any major defects, just normal wear. Christian, the owner, is definitely an enthusiastic car guy.

New #2 is good for final gloss on the clearcoat so the drill was wash, clay, #2/W8006, NXT/W9006 and NXT removed by X4003/W7006. Chris and Joe did the polish but IIRC they were running the PCs at the usual speed 5.

PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');