• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mask or Respirator When Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mask or Respirator When Polishing

Do any of you wear a respirator or dust mask while polishing, especially with the rotary?
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Nope.

Comment

I like to wear a dust mask when removing wax.

PC.

Comment

I have a friend who I frequently detail with, who is allergic to all kinds of things. Certain products have a pronounced effect on her, where she has a mild asthmatic reaction.

Don't want to sound like anyone's dad, but better safe than sorry. A lot of allergies can come on as you get older, and you can become sensitized to certain allergens that didn't bother you at first. If it makes you more comfortable, or when in doubt, use protection, whether it's respiratory, eyes, hearing, gloves etc.

In answer to your question, I have never used a mask/respirator when polishing, but I don't use a rotary (if that makes a difference).

Comment

Only when using products with silica-based abrasives like 3M PI-II RC.
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Pete-FWA
            Do any of you wear a respirator or dust mask while polishing, especially with the rotary?
            I asked a similar question about 2 years ago....

r. b.

Comment

RB, thanks for the old link.

Personally, I always wear my mask and a set of noise cancelling headphones while I polish. They come off when I run the orbital, as long as the air is clear and no one else is running machines. I was and am one of the safety conscious people who has seen too many cases of cancer, asthma, etc. to take risks.

Silicosis is a nasty disease. In my shop we had as many as 10 polishers running at one time. With that, tire sprays, wheel well paint, and other dust and mist flying around, most of my guys went home sneezing in color at night.

We also had a body shop. Masks were mandatory there. The risk was far greater and with a whole different set of chemicals and dust particles.

Lately, I've had many friends/associates over to work on vehicles and they all seem to comment on my mask. Apparently, I'm a rare breed when it comes to using them.

Comment

I know what you mean.

I used to run a oxy/fuel & plasma torch cutting machine. The dust that was blown out of the cut (or kerf) was very fine indeed.....That kind of dust is almost as fine as airborne asbestos particles.

I always wore a 3M half mask with N-100 dual cartridges while running this machine. The filters would be white on the inside, but the black on the outside!....Just think of what my lungs would look like without the mask.
                r. b.

Comment

Exactly!

The lungs have a capacity to filter, but it's very low compared to the contaminants some of our procedures generate. As we contaminate them, micro-levels of the contaminant can stick. Once they do, they build upon themselves.

Cancer, emphysema, asthma, silicosis, fibrosis....no thanks, I'll wear a mask.

Comment

ya going to start wearing gloves with wax

i was bored one day and i realized that on the bottom of the gold class wax paste it ways may cause skin irritation ... never really thought of wearign gloves to wax a car but hey better safe then sry
                    Patrick Yu
                    2003 Honda Accord
                    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I've heard of some wearing gloves when they clay.....Might try that myself one day.
                      r. b.

Comment

ya it just seems so weird to take these saifty precautions because wax and clay seem like such harmless things. the only thing i did before was wear saifty glasses wen using the PC
                        Patrick Yu
                        2003 Honda Accord
                        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                          ya it just seems so weird to take these saifty precautions because wax and clay seem like such harmless things. the only thing i did before was wear saifty glasses wen using the PC
                          It's not so much for safety precautions, but it helps to keep the clay from sticking to you hands.
                          r. b.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');