• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amber Tree Seed Pods On Car Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amber Tree Seed Pods On Car Paint

I JUST HAD A CUSTOMER ASK WHAT WERE THESE SEED POD LOOKING THINGS THAT CLING ONTO PAINT AND WINDOWS OF HER CAR. I FOUND OUT THAT THEY ARE AMBER TREE SEED PODS A LITTLE SMALLER THAT THIS (O). THEY ARE BROWN IN COLOR AND CAN BE TAKEN OFF BUT HARD TO GET THE RESIDUE OF IT OFF. WHAT DO YALL THINK I CAN DO TO GET THESE OFF AND HELP TO KEEP THEM FROM CLINGING ON TO MY CUSTOMERS CARS.THANKS

Hi jrodriq,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Never heard of this one before?

First, do they come off when you wash the car? That would be the first thing to try.

Second, if not can you pick them off with your finger/fingernail?

Can you post a picture of this?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

spots

i dont have a picture, but it can be taken off with a finger nail, but it leaves a spot almost like a stain. i am thinking that maybe using a clay bar before waxing. but i am not 100% sure if that will work or not.

Comment

Well, always start with the mildest thing, so certainly claying is a good place to start.

Can you tell if it is a stain/gunk on the paint, or is it etching down into the paint like a hard water spot?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I know *exactly* what you are talking about. If you see them before they dry, they are a burgundy looking drop of goo (tiny). As they dry, they become hard brown dots, on a dark colored car one might over look them until the drying process.

Here is how I have delt with them. While the clay will remove them with repeated passes, the dot then becomes lodged in the clay, this will mar the paint. I *very* carefully scratch the top off of them with a clean fingernail (light touch, try not to touch the paint). I then clay the area, then continue to polish, then seal.

They are a real pain and very difficult to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by ebpcivicsi
            I know *exactly* what you are talking about. If you see them before they dry, they are a burgundy looking drop of goo (tiny). As they dry, they become hard brown dots, on a dark colored car one might over look them until the drying process.

Here is how I have dealt with them. While the clay will remove them with repeated passes, the dot then becomes lodged in the clay, this will mar the paint. I *very* carefully scratch the top off of them with a clean fingernail (light touch, try not to touch the paint). I then clay the area, then continue to polish, then seal.

They are a real pain and very difficult to remove.

This sounds like a very good way to address the situation.

After claying, use either paint cleaner like ScratchX or a cleaner/wax like ColorX to remove any residual stain or imperfection in the paint and then apply to coats of wax.

Best of luck...
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

hey thanks for the feed back yall, i had to deal with it before i had a chance to read the replies, but it worked like i thought. i used a clay bar and it took it right up leaving a couple scratches, leaving me like " oh s#%@!". then i used scratch x / buffed- then another application of premium wax let it cure, it worked like a charm. it came out so good, even i was impressed. again thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I get these things all over my car also. I remove the bulk of the little buggers with my finger nail. I then take a little bug and tar remover on a MF towell and just dab a little on each of the remaining spots. I let it sit for a few seconds and just wipe them off. Seems to work pretty well.
                Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Comment

humm, i will try that next time, sounds alot easier

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');