• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about swirl marks and polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about swirl marks and polish

I have a quesiton. I just started getting into detailing my truck. it's dark blue. I used the 2 bucket method and i used a chenile wash mit. I then used a chamois. I also applied the #1 cleaner and it dried quickly. I used an applicator pad to apply it and a MC to remove it. Why is the cleaner hard to remove though. I only worked on a small area? The same application and removal process went for the polish. I kept using the MC to rub it away basically. I then applied NXT wax and APPLIED TOO MUCH, DUH, didn't realize that until I went to remove it, and took me like 3HRS. I kept using the MC and tried removing for like 3 hrs with circular motions. Would there have been a chance I put in alot of swirl marks? HELP PLEASE?!!

The more you touch the paint, the more the chance for swirl marks. But if you cant see any, then maybe you didnt add any.

Does MC = Microfiber Cloth? I am sure you didnt add a lot, if any, but always a chance for a couple. Just have to try out ColorX or ScratchX next time to remove them.

Just have to be carefull about how big of an area you work in, and how much you apply. On a cool breezy day in the fall, things can dry quick somtimes with the dry wind.

One tip, if you apply too much, and it is hard to remove, try applying just a little more Nxt Wax, or even the Nxt Spray Wax in those spots. Like dissolves Like. So it can help.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

hey murr thanks for your help. is there really any way to avoid swirl marks. It's like every car i see on the street it's like they all have them? I'm kinda confused?

Comment

hey murr would u say that the stuff I used was the proper stuff.

Comment

That polish is fairly mild and won't remove swirl marks. You could try some Scratch-X. If you can't get good results applying that by hand, then you'll have to step up to machine polishing.
          Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Re: Question about swirl marks and polish

Originally posted by Mura2005
            I have a quesiton. ... I also applied the #1 cleaner and it dried quickly. I used an applicator pad to apply it and a MC to remove it. Why is the cleaner hard to remove though. I only worked on a small area? The same application and removal process went for the polish. ...
            You answered your own question. “I also applied the #1 cleaner and it dried quickly.”

Cleaners and polishes don’t need to dry. Cleaners especially, need to be worked into the finish. They do their job as you work them. Drying does nothing but make them hard to remove (as you’ve already found out).

Only waxes need to dry. They’re intended to leave something behind.

PC.

Comment

First time I used NXT Wax I could not remove it with MCs. When I changed to terry towels it came right off.

Comment

The only way to try to avoid swirls it to use the highest quality mits/sponges, two-bucket, grit guard, higest quality towels, and then you might not get swirls.

Todays clear coats protect the base coat, but the also use the properties of refraction and magnification to show every little swirl. So any time you touch the paint, you may get something that shows.

The only way to have 'nothing; is to use somethine like ScrathX to reomove any swirls that appear. This is why people will use #80 by PC, etc every so often, so absolutely no swirls are present.

Working by hand, you certainly used good products, but they are also mild products.

ColorX or ScratchX are the products that will be able to remove swirls. Two systems you can use are:

1: Wash
                2. Clay as needed
                3. Clean - DC#1 in good spots, ScratchX where swirls are.
                4. Polish - DC#2
                5. Wax - Nxt
                6. 2nd coat of Nxt

OR:

1. Wash
                2. Clay as needed
                3. ColorX worked in well
                4. Nxt Wax

Just two ideas, about how to use the abrasive products that can remove swirls. Be sure to work them in well.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');