• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting a bypass for the truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a bypass for the truck

Hey,

Lately I've been thinking about installing a bypass filter on my truck. It's clean on the outside, but it could stand to be cleaner on the inside. I want my truck to last a looooong time, so I have decided to take it upon myself and order a bypass filter from Motor Guard.

Believe it or not, the filter utilizes Toilet Paper(TP) yes Toilet Paper!! that would you use in your bathroom. From research and advice amongst the experts at bobistheoilguy.com I have discovered that bypass is the true way to go for extended oil changes and cleanliness inside the engine. If you want to check out the site where I'm ordering from is www.bypassfilter.com The owners name is Ralph Wood. Nice guy and knows his stuff for over 40 years in bypass filtration. Bypass filters are used in commercial business vehicles from taxi cabs to military use to law enforcement vehicles. I drive about 18K miles a yr on average so I think this the way to go for me.

The filter eliminates the need for 3-5000 regular oil changes even using synthetic oil. You do however need to change the TP every 3-5000 miles and replace with new, 2 ply TP is better from what I've learned. A good brand such as Scott will work just as well. Motor Guard itself also makes TP for there filters but bathroom TP works equally well. The filter also eliminates the regular stock filter from the factory. An adaptor is used to fill in the factory location and then 2 hoses from the adaptor run into the filter. You can either run the clean oil back into the sump(oil pan) or into the valve cover. Which location is better than the other I don't know to be honest. Check out bobistheoilguy.com for more info on bypass filters or bypassfilter.com When I get the filter in, I will report back of how the truck is running and take pics of the install. Till then,,,,,,deadman98

wow....if someone told me that I wouldn't of believed them. very interesting. make sure you post back. I'd like to see the results.
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

ok update.

I decided to go with a tranny bypass first. I just learned that I'm 11K miles, yes 11K! you heard me right overdue for a tranny service.

Although the tranny shifts and acts fine I'd still like to get it serviced. The owners manual and my service manual say nothing or very little about changing the fluid in the tranny under normal circumstances. Though, I don't feel comfortable running 100+K miles on stock tranny fluid seeing I drive all the time everyday.

I just ordered the bypass tranny tonight and should be here hopefully by this time next week. The bypass fits most tranny lines that are either 3/8 or 5/16" in diameter. Anything else, your kinda on your own. I'm going to run Mobil1(M1) synthetic ATF in the tranny. This is my process below:

Run Auto-Rx through tranny for about 1000 miles or so, see there site about flushing>>>>>>www.auto-rx.com

Change stock filter and pan gasket and have dealer flush out the tranny or either do it myself, not sure yet. I will flush out the Torque Converter as well seeing it holds a good part of the tranny fluid.

Install Motorguard tranny bypass and M1 ATF

If you notice at the Auto-rx site, the formulations for engine flushing and tranny flushing are the same, just different application instructions.

Once I regain some money, I'll order the engine oil bypass. I don't need to do any flushing or cleaning here since I have already done that no more than about 8K miles ago. I'm using M1 0w30 supersyn right now. The truck runs like a new watch.

I'll post back and keep everyone up to speed of what's going on,,,,deadman98

Comment

good luck! looking forward to results.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');