• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does claying remove all old wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does claying remove all old wax?

I just hit my truck with Meg's Cleaner Wax and my 10" Craftsman buffer this past weekend.

I have never clayed a car before and have interest in a Meg's kit for this purpose, but will using clay on my truck remove the wax I've already applied?

I'm simply trying to decide whether to clay or not before putting a coat of NXT liquid wax on my truck on my next day off...
    '05 QC Big Horn Edition/Sunroof
    5.7L Hemi
    Debadged
    Magnaflow
    Tint
    Line-X
    Chrome Mopar 'Sport' Grille
    Chrome OEM Hood Deflector
    ...and a G21C in the console

I would put a coat of wax on after claying. Clay will remove the wax you have applied.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Chain, I wouldn't say claying will remove all of the old wax but it'll certainly remove fair amount of it including majority of the bonded contaminants. To make the wax more lasting on your ride, it's highly recommended that you clay your paintwork prior to applying wax.
      zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Hrmm, aren't I undoing the work I did this weekend with the Cleaner Wax then?

Or is claying simply the best prep (mandatory even?) I can do before applying my first coat of NXT?
        5.7L Hemi
        Debadged
        Magnaflow
        Tint
        Line-X

Comment

Chain, you may want to do this again after 1 or 2 months when the wax starts to wear off. BTW, clay will not remove all of the contaminants, you still need a good paint cleaner such as Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner to remove dirt which are trapped inside the pits and scratches. In a nutshell, I would say claying and paint cleaning is essential prior to waxing. However, you don't have to clay each time before you apply wax, you may just want to do it once every 3-6 months once, and that also depends on where you park you car daily.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, it's appreciated!
            5.7L Hemi
            Debadged
            Magnaflow
            Tint
            Line-X

Comment

When you do clay you will be surprised by what it removed. Doesn't look like there is anything there but there is! It will remove all the bonded contaminates that are now protected with a nice coat of wax.

I agree with zey follow up with a paint cleaner and you will have results!
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Just so I have this right then, steps for my new Ram:

-wash
                -clay
                -paint cleaner
                -NXT

Sound reasonable?

...my shoulders hurt just thinking about it!
                5.7L Hemi
                Debadged
                Magnaflow
                Tint
                Line-X

Comment

You're most welcome. By the way, to MOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Chain
                    Just so I have this right then, steps for my new Ram:

-wash
                    -clay
                    -paint cleaner
                    -NXT

Sound reasonable?

...my shoulders hurt just thinking about it!
                    You can also throw Deep Crystal #2 polish into the mix, in between the paint cleaner and the NXT...just to make your shoulders hurt a bit more

Honestly though, it will make a difference, especially on black. I will say however, that since it is almost winter here in the Northeast, I'm going to skip the polishing step so I can concentrate more on protection. I'll be giving up some shine, but since I won't be able to detail and maintain as often during the winter months, I'm going to try for the best protection while I still can.

In other words, polish is a great step, but not necessary. Claying and cleaning will prep your surface, and waxing will provide the protection your paint needs.

Comment

Just as an idea.. If you dont want to kill your shoulders in the middle of winter, you can also do this:

1. Wash
                      2. Clay as needed
                      3. Cleaner/Wax or ColorX
                      4. Nxt

Just an idea...
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
                        Just as an idea.. If you dont want to kill your shoulders in the middle of winter, you can also do this:

1. Wash
                        2. Clay as needed
                        3. Cleaner/Wax or ColorX
                        4. Nxt

Just an idea...
                        Hey Murr, not to contradict you, but Chain mentioned

-wash
                        -clay
                        -paint cleaner
                        -NXT

For your number 3, you suggested Cleaner/Wax or ColorX. If you are going to top with a wax anyway, wouldn't it be better to use a dedicated paint cleaner, especially during the winter? The same number of steps are involved. Wouldn't a paint cleaner offer better surface prep than a combo cleaner/wax?

The only reason I can see for using a cleaner/wax or colorX instead of a dedicted paint cleaner is that the C/W and C/X have some polishing agents. Was that the point you were trying to make? Sure, you get some polishing effect, but you're sacrifing the strength of a dedicated paint cleaner.

I'm not bustin' stones here, just looking at all options.

Comment

You are quite right, that 3 individual steps will usualy give better results than a combo product. As you say, I was just thinking of a way to work in some polishing oils, as well as cut out some sore shoulders that were mentioned.

Cleaner/Wax is milder (or at least as mild) as DC#1. ColorX is a stonger cleaner than DC#1, espeacialy with the diminishing abrasives it has. DC#1 also wont remove light swirls by hand. A pure polish and pure wax step would give better results at the end though.

Also, remember that 2 coats of wax are recomended for even protection and coverage/looks.

So, my only point is that in cold weather, or if arms are sore, you can go from this:

1. Wash
                          2. Clay
                          3. Clean
                          4. Polish
                          5. Wax
                          6. Wax

to:

1. Wash
                          2. Clay
                          3. ColorX
                          4. Wax

Just a time saver in a pinch, even if not perfect. Plus, he still has Cleaner/Wax laying around to use up.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The polishing effect is what I thought you were getting at. Plus, I didn't take into consideration that by using a product like ColorX topped with wax, you are getting your 2 coats (of wax), thus saving more time in the cold and saving your shoulders. Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');