• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DACP #83 & Rotary = BIG problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I meant, here you get response in a few hours, here in Belgium you don't get answer to mail/phone even a visit to an 'importer" of Meguiars stuff, they're just not interested in my problems !

Thanks everybody !

Comment

It sounds like most everything I would've said has been covered, I just have one other input that may help you:

If you have the ability to spread the product onto the panel with a D.A. machine, you may want to try that. Once you've got a nice layer covering the panel, just head back to the rotary, lightly prime the pad with some QD spray and work the product. Ideally this will minimize or eliminate the splatters, and prevent gumming of the pad.

Before you buff each panel, use a soft-bristled nylon brush (I use a denture brush, personally) to pull extra product out of the pad.

Comment

Sadly I don't own a DA polisher (no Porter Cable or similar in Belgium), I found something from Makita, the B06040 at a price of 600$ .
        My Flex Rotary costs 250$ and is been widely used in all bodyshops here.
        Next time I wil ltry to spread #83 with a MF-applicator and work in a very smal area (30 on 30 cm, about a foot in square) so the polish will not dry or splatter.

PS : How do you compare SONUS pads against Meg. pads, anybody that has both and can give me some info ?

Pads here are only available from 3M at a cost of 45$ each,
        Polish from 3M or Automagic costs about 50$ for 16 oz.
        Meguiars is NOT available, they only sell car wash soap, NXT spray wax and tyre shine....
        Poor Belgians we are, every car I detail in the way you guy's do results in lot's of OOOOO and AAAAAA, even from the bodyshop owner right down my street ,

Comment

Some people who have problems with #83 will use #80 instead. You just have to make more passes as it is not as aggressive.
          -Bob
          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

I went to my dealer today and brought all my stuff with me, in the timle when they serviced my car I attacke da few scrap panels to try out some techniques.
            I goes way better to use a foam sponge to apply product onto the panel, smear it out and then start polishing with the rotary.
            (instead of putting a line onto the panel with the 10 o'clock way...)
            I also goes much better when I mist the pad with water and use a slightly softer pad then the orange DAS pad from Sonus wich is in my opinion (and that from the dealers) a very hard compund pad...
            I also get almost no splatter and the product is evenly divided, with the 10 o'clock way, you always had a print onto the pad of the product 'line', now the pad is evenly soaked after a few passes...

Problem is half solved now...

Comment

nice, i'm going to try the line as in the video, haven't done that yet..

applying by a separate sponge eh ? will gave that go as well

i got more splatter with my yellow pad , my orange pad was much better as well

Comment

Here are some pics of a pad that I used three times, the outer edge is completely "crumbled" and you clearly can see the line of product when I aplied it directly to the pad.
                I my opinion, then the outer edge will burn and the product will soak into the pad without working (just sticking and gum up...)
                When applying with a separate foam sponge or MF applicator onto the panel, yu get an evenly spreaded working surface.

Any professional comments on this ?

Comment

Where the pad is worn away on the edge is from running it into anything that isn't flat and smooth. It's normal and often times unavoidable when buffing out cars that have sharp edges or other things protruding off of them, like windshield wipers, emblems and badges, trim, etc.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Wally
                    I went to my dealer today and brought all my stuff with me, in the timle when they serviced my car I attacke da few scrap panels to try out some techniques.
                    I goes way better to use a foam sponge to apply product onto the panel, smear it out and then start polishing with the rotary.
                    (instead of putting a line onto the panel with the 10 o'clock way...)
                    I also goes much better when I mist the pad with water and use a slightly softer pad then the orange DAS pad from Sonus wich is in my opinion (and that from the dealers) a very hard compund pad...
                    I also get almost no splatter and the product is evenly divided, with the 10 o'clock way, you always had a print onto the pad of the product 'line', now the pad is evenly soaked after a few passes...

Problem is half solved now...
                    Cool deal

Comment

I just ran into the same problem too with #83, it gums up in less than 10 seconds with a white LC polishing pad at 1200rpm, I tried slowing it down to 600rpm and it was a little better, but still had gumming issues. I used a bit of QD to get it going, but was told a Meg's techincal rep that its not good to use too much of it with #83. I tried the rotary with #80 and it was much better, it was gliding more smoothly than #83
                      Last edited by EdT; Jul 9, 2006, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I saw a post on Autopia, supposedly somebody spoke to customer car or a rep and they said that 83 shouldn't be used on a car with a wax or sealent on it already. I laughed and figured that couldn't be it but...

I tried it on 1/2 my hood with 26 and it gummed right away..

I tried in on the 1/2 that I hadn't waxed (after washing with dawn and claying) and no gumming and it worked like charm...

Instresting
                        Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001
                          I saw a post on Autopia, supposedly somebody spoke to customer car or a rep and they said that 83 shouldn't be used on a car with a wax or sealent on it already. I laughed and figured that couldn't be it but...

I tried it on 1/2 my hood with 26 and it gummed right away..

I tried in on the 1/2 that I hadn't waxed (after washing with dawn and claying) and no gumming and it worked like charm...

Instresting
                          LoL ....that was me that posted that on Autopia !, and that person is an consultant for Megiuar's
                          Last edited by EdT; Jul 9, 2006, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Let's be careful to make sure recognition/credit/fault is always given to the correct person, good or bad, it's hard enough to keep on top of he-said, she-said, as it is.

Thanks.
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well for what its worth, EDT, I think your correct. But that kinda *****....
                              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');