• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those dang spots....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those dang spots....

Hey I looked at my hood tonight with a photo loupe. Had to use a flashlight but what I saw was like "glowing white dots". Almost looked like I was looking through a telescope. They are round.
    Any ideas. Thanks

Kelly
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Re: Those dang spots....

Originally posted by kellyinkc
    Hey I looked at my hood tonight with a photo loupe. Had to use a flashlight but what I saw was like "glowing white dots". Almost looked like I was looking through a telescope. They are round.
    Any ideas. Thanks

Kelly
    Would it look like the pics from this post?

Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Kinda. Can't feel a thing.Can't tell if they are pits or contaminates. I've clayed SX etc. Bodyshop said it was solvent pop. Not giving up yet. tried a pic but you have to get right on the paint. In fact I had the loupe almost on the hood, like less than a half inch. All I have so far is an 7" Craftsman orbital.
      Do have 83 and 80.

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc
        Kinda. Can't feel a thing.Can't tell if they are pits or contaminates. I've clayed SX etc. Bodyshop said it was solvent pop. Not giving up yet. tried a pic but you have to get right on the paint. In fact I had the loupe almost on the hood, like less than a half inch. All I have so far is an 7" Craftsman orbital.
        Do have 83 and 80.

Kelly
        Mine are only visible under certain lighting conditions. I suspected some sort of splatter from a chemical or something at a dealer. I hit mine with the PC with several polishes. The most agressive was #80. As the thread explains, they actually appeared to have gotten worse the further I went so I stopped.

I am not going to recommend you trying anything as I was unsuccessful. Maybe some pics would be best. Some of the others might be able to point you in the right direction.

Mine appear to be under/in the paint and are above my current skill level to remove. I am hoping that later I can revisit this issue once I have gained a bit of skill with my rotary.

Unfamiliar with the Craftsman Obital. Maybe someone more familiar can clue ou in as to whether or not it has enough "umph" for defect removal like this.

Best of luck on this. I know where you are coming from
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Thanks seems like it is under the CC. By rubbing with hand it seems under my fingers. So next time I look for a car I'm taking my QD and clay and spot clay the car I'm looking at. Dealer might think I'm weird.

Kelly

Comment

Hey Kelly,

If it is solvent pop, then it is in the paint and not on the paint. Basically, solvent pop can occur from improper paint prep or improper painting methods. If it is indeed solvent pop, I would need to see a picture of your spots to be sure, but if it is, buffing will not help that much.

Until we are certain it is solvent pop, try using ScratchX on a piece of 100% cotton toweling. Work on a small area and then check your results. Using ScratchX by hand with the cotton toweling will probably be more aggressive than using the Craftsman orbital.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks will do. Will my orbital work with 80? It says by hand???? or orbital. I have terrycloth bonnets to apply.P;us a wool-syn blend polishin bonnet. I like to wipe off by hand. Kinda blending old and new together. Am I assuming that 80 is like DC12 put together. Is dry buffing recommended after wax is wiped off or am I risking swirls?

Kelly

Comment

Hey Kelly,

Yes #80 will work with your orbital just fine. Meg's #80 can be used by Rotary, DA, Orbital or by Hand.

Tim

Comment

If I use it by hand how much elbow er.... passion do I need.

Kelly

Comment

Hey,

Use enough "passion" until it is a light residue. Then remove will a MF towel.

Tim

Comment

Certain parts of my car are suffering from such pittings, but not as densed as Jeff Smith's. I suspect it's solvent popping problem as I'm very careful when it comes to parking. I only have two choices:

1) Perform sanding and compounding on the area to see if it helps while still leaving an acceptable level of clearcoat, if can't be removed, I will have to live with it. OR,

2) Refinish and enjoy a fresh new layer of better quality paint.
                      zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');