• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with #80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with #80

Yesterday I used #80 the first time on a friends white station wagon. I found that it left a residue that was almost impossible to wipe off if left to dry for more than a few seconds. I know polishes shouldn't be left to dry like waxes but this was literally the time it took to put down my PC and pick up a MF towel.

I had to use Megs window cleaner and a MF towel to wipe off the residue. My original plan was to use #80 then #7 then NXT but I had to scrap this due to the time and go for #66 then NXT.

I used a PC and W8006 pad. I applied 2x 1/4" beads in a cross pattern on the pad and worked a 2' x 2' area on the hood using moderate pressure on a 4.5 steeing on the PC. I followed Mikes tutorial in the g100 thread almost exactly.

I am hoping that any of you guys who use #80 reguarly could shed some light on this for me? I am also wondering if the Australian formulation is the same as the US one or has there been a change in the formulation and I might have old stock?

Craig

Hi Craig,

as a fellow aussie let me assure you that we have the same product over here as the US. #80 is one of my favorite products infact i used it on a purple landrover & a metallic black mini this past week. I also have a PC and can tell you that for the machine to work properly you need not only to have a power adapter but a special transformer aswell. This is because we run on 240 volt and not 110.

That aside, it seems you are working the product too much. Both the cars i worked on were in 30 deg weather. It required me to prime the pad more frequently with Final Inspection to give better lubricity to the product. When its warm i tend to work the surface less but do several applications over the same spot.

hope this helped a bit
    All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I use a tranny for the PC, it's a good setup that works really well.

I will try again, maybe I am working it too much, but not anymore than #66 or any of the other products.

Craig

Comment

I use #80 fairly frequently, and I've never found #80 difficult to remove. My suggestions are:

1. Work ONLY out of direct sunlight.
        2. Don't use QD or water to prime the pad.
        3. Only use enough product to work a 3-4 square foot area.
        4. Work it until it clears, but not dry.
        5. Remove residue immediately.

I'm far from an expert, but if I follow these rules #80 always removes effortlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by 305Cummins
          I use #80 fairly frequently, and I've never found #80 difficult to remove. My suggestions are:

1. Work ONLY out of direct sunlight.
          2. Don't use QD or water to prime the pad.
          3. Only use enough product to work a 3-4 square foot area.
          4. Work it until it clears, but not dry.
          5. Remove residue immediately.

I'm far from an expert, but if I follow these rules #80 always removes effortlessly.

Keep in mind once the pad is primed you do not need the 2 1/4" beads, you just need a little.

I have had very good luck with #80... just to highlight remove before it dries, I work #80 with my PC somewhere between 1.5-2 min. Hope it works out for you its a great product!
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Great advice on working it a bit less and making a second pass with it.
            See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Thanks for the feed back fellas!

I tried again the other afternoon on an old bodyshell in my driveway with single stage acrylic paint. The #80 worked fine in fact. I used #85 with W7000 on a rotary then removed the buffing trails perfectly with the #80 with w8006 on the PC!

After reading all the good news about #80 I thought it had to be me, not the product. No sure what I was doing the first time...

Craig

PS #80 big thumbs up

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');