• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G100 for Paint Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G100 for Paint Prep

Tomorrow night I'm headed over to a friend's to get him started on prepping his vehicle for paint. Still haven't bought an electric DA because he keeps asking questions for which I don't know answers.

His compressor won't keep up with my pneumatic DA's, so we have to find an electric alternative. I know Mike used one on a desk said Lynn used one to sand on their '59 Cadillac. Anyone else use it as a sander? I just wonder if they bog down when polishing or if they're too slow for paint removal.

I know Zey uses a DeWalt443 for polishing. Not finding much from other manufacturers. Specs on the DW443 show they run faster, which will help us with sanding, but I want to be able to use this as a polisher, too, if I can. I've always used my pneumatic DA's for polishing and have zero experience with an electric.

The reason I ask all these questions is because I want to buy ONE tool that will do both well, IF this is possible.

Thanks-this could save me from making a tool purchase mistake
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Re: G100 for Paint Prep

Originally posted by Pete-FWA
    ... Anyone else use it as a sander?...
    Apparently everybody except me.

The G100 was originally designed as a sander and the vast majority of Porter-Cable’s customers are in woodworking, carpentry and construction. I was just a woodworking show about an hour ago and there were tons of them in sander form. I was probably the only person in the building who even knew you could polish cars with them.

Everybody that I’ve heard of who’s used it as a sander was pleased with the results.

Me, I keep ‘em separate. I have a Bosch sander.

PC.

Comment

Re: Re: G100 for Paint Prep

Originally posted by the other pc
      I was just a woodworking show about an hour ago and there were tons of them in sander form. I was probably the only person in the building who even knew you could polish cars with them.

Everybody that I’ve heard of who’s used it as a sander was pleased with the results.

Me, I keep ‘em separate. I have a Bosch sander.

PC. [/B]
      Thanks, PC
      I bet you did get some interesting looks telling woodworkers that you use one of their favored tools on your paint finish.

Comment

We didn't get together tonight due to family conflicts for my friend. Still not sure what he's going to do or if I'm going to end up bringing the thing to my house. Just didn't want to get it in my garage and not have it leave for months! Plus, I have my own adventures going on here.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');