• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 Honda Civic, 11 years, 237,000+ miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Honda Civic, 11 years, 237,000+ miles

Hello, I think this is my first post. I finally had a chance to take some pictures of my car this week. I completed a full exterior detail last weekend using the techniques described in this forum. My car is 11 years old and has over 237,000 miles to date. I purchased the car new and have taken care of it ever since. I average over 20,000 miles per year here on Bay Area freeways. I have been fanatical (almost obsessive-compulsive) about keeping the car clean over the years. I have also used some bad techniques as far as how to polish, wax, and maintain the finish. My most famous technique has been to dust off my car using a damp cotton terry towel without first dusting or using a quick detailer. Yes, this means I have acquired tons of swirls and some deep scratches over the years. Since joining the forum I have completely changed my techniques thanks to all the members of this forum. I own a Porter Cable PC and all the Megs products designed for this type of polishing tool. My car is about 90% swirl-free. The hood is the worst which has some deep scratches not removed with the #83 and 8006 pad. To bring the paint to 99-100% I definitely need a rotary polisher. I may do that after I have gained more experience using the PC.

Detail Steps:

Note: all product removal steps are by hand using a microfiber towel.

1) Wash with NXT car wash and Megs chenille wash mit. One bucket for paint and windows. One bucket for the wheels, tires, and lower body trim. Car dried using Megs Supreme Shine Microfiber. This is the best drying towel I have ever used!
    2) Check finish. No clay required since car was recently detailed but using the wrong products and technique. Finish is already smooth and contaminant free.
    3) Polish with #83, Pad #8006, speed setting #5, approx. 20lb. of pressure. I now understand the limitations of using a PC to remove scratches that require a rotary polisher.
    4) Polish with #80, Pad #8006, speed setting #5, approx. 20lb. of pressure. This is the bread and butter of all polishing combinations. Great stuff!
    5) Two coats of NXT liquid wax with approximately an 8 hour wait in between coats.
    6) Detail faded trim using Forever Black. Black plastic looks 100% better.
    7) Windows cleaned with Invisible Glass.
    8) Tires dressed with Megs Hot Shine tire spray. Wipe off the excess or you will have the dressing slinging onto the paint.
    9) Clean up and stare!

White is the hardest color to get good reflection shots. I’m no pro with the digital camera but here it goes.

During good weather periods I rarely wash my car using water and soap. I now use a CA Car Duster (wood handle only), NXT quick detailer, NXT Spray Wax (every couple of weeks), and plenty of microfiber towels. This combo works pretty well and does not leave scratches or swirls.

welcome to MOL
    car looks amazing
    dont you have any stone chips ?
    my friend has one and the hood is absolutly covered with stone chips

any ways amazing job and nice rims!
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
      welcome to MOL
      car looks amazing
      dont you have any stone chips ?
      my friend has one and the hood is absolutly covered with stone chips

any ways amazing job and nice rims!
      Thanks, my car has a clear bra. You can see it in the garage pic. It's the best money I have spent on the car in the past year and a half.

Comment

wow didnt even see it
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord

Comment

The chrome wheels really help set off a clean, bright white finish.
          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

nicest civic I've seen. I really like your taste in wheels. great job, and I cant even see your car bra unless I am really looking for it, nice ride.

Comment

i find that clear bras arent visable on light coloured cars but on dark coloured cars they look pretty bad ... but not as bad as stone chps i guess

hahah still drewling over those motegi rims
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Sweet, it's not often you see white 'pop' like that
                Don
                12/27/2015
                "Darth Camaro"
                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Looking Good!!!

Now you need some brake upgrades to go with those rims.

Comment

looks to me that he already has cross drilled brakes
                    See Kevin's '03 PT Cruiser GT here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477590

Comment

Originally posted by KBzPTGT
                      looks to me that he already has cross drilled brakes
                      I meant BIGGER brakes like larger size rotors/calibers (not needed) /brackets (for bigger rotors) /etc, to take some of those gap away and it'll look much better. You can buy stock size slotted/cross-drilled...

Comment

some nice 13"s or 14" brakes with red or yellow calibers would look amazing on that car all you need to do is make them fit. lol i'e seen 14" on an IS300 with 18" rims
                        Patrick Yu
                        2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                          some nice 13"s or 14" brakes with red or yellow calibers would look amazing on that car all you need to do is make them fit. lol i'e seen 14" on an IS300 with 18" rims
                          Seriously, this car is driven too much to spend money on a big brake kit. They look great until you need to change pads or worse, replace a worn rotor (ie $$$$). My wife works at a Honda/Acura dealership so I have my brakes done there. At a great price I may add. I like the OEM Brembos just fine. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');