• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using #7 as an LSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using #7 as an LSP

Folks,

I have been playing with #7 for a while now and have a "decent" feel for it's application characteristics. But, up till now I have been applying it under a Wax/Sealant.

I was thinking tomorrow I might take a stab at actually applying this as an LSP or a topper.

I have been applying with the PC up till now. Using a 9006 pad with the speed set about 4.5 or so. I put a circle just outside the rim of the backing plate. Pretty thin line. I probably work about a 2.5' by 2'5 area at a time. Usually about 2 passes. Just enough to work most of the color out of the product. Then I move on to the next panel and do that one the same way. Then I drop back to the first panel and wipe off the product with an Ultra Plush Terry. Once done the whole vehicle, I then give it a final buff with a Supreme Shine MF.

Anyway, I have noticed the usual streaking as a result of the products oily characteristics. Not bad after the final wipe with the Supreme SHine MF but sometimes I can still see it when looking up close. Up till now not a concern as I was applying a LSP over it anyway.

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, advice or lessons they have learned when applying this as a topper.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Well, a polish, left out to the elements, is going to wash off very quickly. Polishes arent really meant to adhere on their own
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've heard of show car owners using this product for their car before a show. Aside from the lack of durability, there shouldn't be a real problem.

One of my buddies said #7 was his LSP of choice for years.

The dark steaks may be from an area of thick product or the product might need to be worked in a tad longer.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
        Well, a polish, left out to the elements, is going to wash off very quickly. Polishes arent really meant to adhere on their own
        Understand. Just wanted to play with the idea for "edumacational" purposes. Looking at rain forecasted for Thursday anyway.

Just figured since I just put a good coat of GC on it today I might like to play around tomorrow and slap some #7 on for the sake of experience.
        Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
          I've heard of show car owners using this product for their car before a show. Aside from the lack of durability, there shouldn't be a real problem.

One of my buddies said #7 was his LSP of choice for years.

The dark steaks may be from an area of thick product or the product might need to be worked in a tad longer.

Good luck
          I might just play around with it on say, the hood, and practice a little application technic before proceeding with the rest.
          Jeff Smith

Comment

Hey Jeff,

As the others have mentioned, #7 is a Pure Polish and will not last as long as a LSP. If you were going to a show and wanted a little extra pop, then yes, I would top your LSP with #7 for that "little" extra "pop".

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
              Hey Jeff,

As the others have mentioned, #7 is a Pure Polish and will not last as long as a LSP. If you were going to a show and wanted a little extra pop, then yes, I would top your LSP with #7 for that "little" extra "pop".

Tim
              Understand. My goal here is simply to pratice a time or 2 applying as a topper. My technique was "good enough" when used under an LSP but not good enough to be used as a topper. Always was a little streaky. So obviously my technique needs a little refinement. I figured playing with it as a topper a few times would help to get me to where I have to skill to apply it either way on an as needed basis.

Usualy when applying under an LSP I had time issues so could not quite dedicate the time I would have liked to get a streak free application down pat. I figured going this route might be a good idea. I don;t care how long it lasts. Don;t expect it to last at all. Maybe a day or 2 until the rain Thursday. Then Friday is wash day anyway.
              Jeff Smith

Comment

Hey Jeff,

Practice is always a good thing!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I've heard of people in this area that use nothing but #7 too.....No wax at all.
                  r. b.

Comment

Hi Jeff,,,,

remember sharing is caring......

lol....

by the way have you tried out #5....pick it up sometime...might not see much of a difference but from what i hear it goes on easier and comes off the same as it goes on......

by the way keep on posting to us...i always look forward to yours and everyone else post....reason for yours is you have been experimenting with a variety of product...that peak my interest....keep on shining till it blinds ya'

Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                      I've heard of people in this area that use nothing but #7 too.....No wax at all.
                      Whew, I like it but not that much.
                      Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Djmigs
                        Hi Jeff,,,,

remember sharing is caring......

lol....

by the way have you tried out #5....pick it up sometime...might not see much of a difference but from what i hear it goes on easier and comes off the same as it goes on......

by the way keep on posting to us...i always look forward to yours and everyone else post....reason for yours is you have been experimenting with a variety of product...that peak my interest....keep on shining till it blinds ya'

Played with #5 once. It did fine, Just like #7 better. Decided to hold on to the #5 as we get high humidity around here during the summer. I am sure 'll revisit it then.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll take a stab at some new pics in a couple of days. Have GC over #7 on it not as the top layers. I can;t say that out of all I have done that I have a favorite yet. All I have tried are similar in appearance lthough the GC does appear to give me a bit more noticable gloss. Might just be my eyes but I do see something.
                        Jeff Smith

Comment

I have not put the #7 on yet as I had one more question. When using #7 as a topper. I would imagine that QDing, say the next day, would likely remove any gained effect. Would this be correct?
                          Jeff Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');