• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new paint + bird poop + other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new paint + bird poop + other questions

I just got my car painted a couple weeks ago. Well just yesteday a bird(s) decided to leave their mark on my hood and roof. I didn't really think about the damage that it would leave until I washed the car later on last night. Now there are poop etches where it looks like it ate at the clear coat.

What do you guys suggest that I use to try and fix this?

Pictures will be available upon request if it helps.

thanks
    Last edited by sleepycoupe; Nov 10, 2005, 06:56 PM.
    AiM: SleepyCoupe | Car: 94 "Accord+ Prelude = Acclude

You can use a paint cleaner on fresh paint, just nothing that seals it.

ScratchX would probably be the best option for you, just work it a bit more gently perhaps with it being fresh paint. It could be a little softer still.

You might also look into #80 in the Professional Line. It probably will not remove the etching, but after you remove it with scratchX, this is a good product for fresh paint. It will clean your paint, as well as leave behind a mild protective polymer, that might help buy a little more time against bird poop, etc.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: new paint + bird poop

Originally posted by sleepycoupe

What do you guys suggest that I use to try and fix this?

I think Murr1525 pointed out a good method to repair the existing damage. I think you might also wish to look into getting your hands on one of the maintenance produts listed below. You can keep a bottle around and hit these types of spots as they happens which should minimize future damage

NEW NXT Generation Speed Detailer

Quik Detailer

Final Inspection

Last Touch Spray Detailer

Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

cool, thanks guys. I'll be picking that stuff up soon. Now for the scratch X, what would I use to apply it? As well as remove it.

sorry for the noobish questions. I just now am starting to get into the deatailing aspect instead of the performance in my car.

Comment

cool, thanks guys. I'll be picking that stuff up soon. Now for the scratch X, what would I use to apply it? As well as remove it.

sorry for the noobish questions. I just now am starting to get into the deatailing aspect instead of the performance in my car.
          How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Keep those questions coming. I learn everytime I stick my nose in here.
          Jeff Smith

Comment

great! thanks.

now to move a little bit more toward the quick detail aspect. if the a bird craps on the car and i catch it soon enough...

do i?

1. wipe off the poop with a wet towel?
            2. spray detailer on spot
            3. wipe off with another terry towel or microfiber?

thanks

Tom

Comment

great! thanks.

now to move a little bit more toward the quick detail aspect. if the a bird craps on the car and i catch it soon enough...

do i?

1. wipe off the poop with a wet towel?
              2. spray detailer on spot
              3. wipe off with another terry towel or microfiber?

thanks

Tom
              I am sure you'll get several methods from the others. For me (keep in mind I am a nut) I keep a Spray bottle of distilled water in the truck (along with a host of other stuff). Anyway I would spray distilled water on it as soon as I saw it and soften it upt, unless of course it's a good fresh one! Once soft, I would then break out a qd and mist that on there and let it soften a bit more. Then get a MF and fold it four ways. Dab it several times to remove what you can before trying to wipe. If you reveal more hard, dry stuff. moisten some more. then dab again. Once you are sure the spot is reasonably soft, make sure you have sprayed the spot pretty well and then flip the MF to a clean side a wipe. Once it's gone, flip to another cleanside then buff off.

Most would likely not use the water as I do but in my own warped mind I think it's saving me money on QD.
              Jeff Smith

Comment

awesome.

now i'm planning to buy a bag of detailing goodies.

what would you recommend getting to fillt that bag with? for an average daily driver person, as well as if I want to wash my car at a friend's house, I have all of my tools with me.

so far I have.

Shining Monkey Soap
                Blue "Absorber" "chamois"
                California Duster
                Fabreeze auto

lol

Comment

So many options...

On a daily driver, for a "simple" detail, this is what I use, working by hand:

1. Wash - Gold Class or Nxt Wash

2. Clay - Quick clay as needed

3. ColorX - This is a great one-step product for a daily driver.

4. Wax - I enjoy the Nxt wax as a topper for ColorX.

A full detail, with all sparate steps would look more like:

1. Wash -

2. Clay -

3. Clean - DC#1 is a good mild paint cleaner, though will not remove swirls. ScratchX is needed to remove swirls.

4. Polish - DC#2 is a good, easy to use polish.

5. Wax - Nxt Wax is fine, or Gold Class, #26, etc.

6. Remember, 2 thin coats of wax is best.

So, as you can see, there are two slightly different options for what to do on a daily driver. Hopefully, you can look into some of the products, and see what works best for you.

BTW, you can apply ScratchX with a foam pad for mild swirls, and a terry cloth for more agressive cleaning on deeper swirls/scratches. Then just buff off with a MF Towel.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');