• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Compartment Clean & Shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Compartment Clean & Shine

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me which Meguiar's consumer product good for cleaning and shining the engine compartment?

Thanks.

I don't know if there is a perfect method or prescription for cleaning and dressing an engine bay, just what works for you. Personally, I really like super degreaser if the engine is very dirty. If the engine is somewhat well maintained, APC is a great cleaner, especially if you use the foaming sprayer. To dress the plastic I like either #40 or Natural Shine. Hyper Dressing can be used as well, but I haven't had the chance to use any yet. #40 and Natural Shine both provide a great look and hold up rather well under the hood. If you are going to import something from the US you may want to try APC and #40 or Hyper Dressing since they have multiple uses making them cost effective.

Comment

Here is super degreaser follwed with #40.

BEFORE -

AFTER -

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
        Here is super degreaser follwed with #40.

BEFORE -

AFTER -

Looks awesome! How does #40 do with dust? I tried Hyper Dressing diluted about 3:1 and it attracts dust more than I'd prefer.

Comment

Natural Shine and #40 are pretty good about minimizing the amount of dust that usually builds up on the surface. The real key is that when applying any dressing, be sure to remove any excess liquid with a microfiber towel. Dust won't stick if there isn't anything to stick to.

Comment

I wonder what that engine bay will look like in a week? A month? I tried CD2 engine detailer and it looks like the day I use it even after a month or two~! It dries to a satin or semigloss finish. It repels dust very well, so I use it in the wheel wells.
            http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
              I wonder what that engine bay will look like in a week? A month? I tried CD2 engine detailer and it looks like the day I use it even after a month or two~! It dries to a satin or semigloss finish. It repels dust very well, so I use it in the wheel wells.
              What is CD2 and where can it be found?
              2003 Mach 1
              Azure Blue
              5 speed/IUP
              2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
              KY Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by MattN03
                What is CD2 and where can it be found?
                Last can I bought was at Advance Auto. Might try calling around first it was a little hard to find.
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I've used a product from S100 that worked quite well, called "Engine Brightener" -- it was in an aerosol can that I got from the local Harley dealer. A bit expensive, but its great stuff.

Another alternative if you can still find it is Engine Kote; I just got a gallon of that in, too.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                    Last can I bought was at Advance Auto. Might try calling around first it was a little hard to find.
                    So is it a product similiar to #40 or Hyperdressing?
                    2003 Mach 1
                    Azure Blue
                    5 speed/IUP
                    KY Horsepower

Comment

So is it a product similiar to #40 or Hyperdressing?
                      Well... no not really. You spray it on and let it set the can says it cleans and shines and protects in one step. I would clean the engine prior to the products use.

The solvents evaporate and you end up with a coating. The can says "let it sit for 20 to allow product to penetrate and solvents evaporate."

I used it once, I really like the finish left behind by the product looks great but.... here is what I think.... I didn't like the application method(spray on). I would rather wipe on where I want it. Also, the solvents worry me a little being sprayed on everything under the hood just don't want to damage anything.

That is just my .02.
                      Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                        Well... no not really. You spray it on and let it set the can says it cleans and shines and protects in one step. I would clean the engine prior to the products use.

The solvents evaporate and you end up with a coating. The can says "let it sit for 20 to allow product to penetrate and solvents evaporate."

I used it once, I really like the finish left behind by the product looks great but.... here is what I think.... I didn't like the application method(spray on). I would rather wipe on where I want it. Also, the solvents worry me a little being sprayed on everything under the hood just don't want to damage anything.

That is just my .02.
                        I'd rather have more control over application myself, so I'll probably give Hyperdressing a shot. I've got plenty of #40 already, but I thought it was really for interior use only.
                        2003 Mach 1
                        Azure Blue
                        5 speed/IUP
                        KY Horsepower

Comment

I'd rather have more control over application myself, so I'll probably give Hyperdressing a shot. I've got plenty of #40 already, but I thought it was really for interior use only.
                          I have yet to use HD but everything said about it is good! Worth a shot!
                          Brandon

Comment

CD2 is NOT a cleaner (although it does make it look "cleaner"). It recommends you clean your engine with your choice of degreaser. I use simple green 1:2 and soak for 10 minutes, then rinse. Let dry (warm up engine to speed up drying). Then you spray the CD2 over engine, fender wells, hoses, etc. let sit 20 minutes with hood up. THEN you start engine and let warm up to operating temp. This dries the product and sort of bakes it on. Do not worry if the term "bakes on" bothers you, this stuff still comes off with a mild solution of simple green or APC very easily.

When it warms up it spreds evenly and looks like it was hand wiped!! I buy it at autozone for $5.99 a can. Its great stuff and not too well known. It works wonders inside your fender wells too, giving that detailed look for weeks because it repels dirt, etc.

I love the anti-static properties of this stuff. I think thats what makes it look good for weeks and weeks. my engine still looks very nice after 2 months. My girlfreind was impressed too after I used it on her 140,00 mile subaru. She was like wow!! It looks new!!
                            http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

I have used the CD2 Engine detailer spray also used it on my wheel wells as well, cleaned my engine with a little simple green and water and it turned out great seems to hold up well too. Finding it was difficult though here in Michigan I went to just about every major auto chain around, Murrays, Autozone etc and no one had it they had the CD2 engine cleaner but not the CD2 engine detailer. I ended up buying it online a midway auto supply for about 5 bucks a can was well worth it started out with two cans to see how I would like it needless to say I have a case on the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');