• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Compartment Clean & Shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like some really good stuff. I used simple green before and really liked it. Then I found this stuff called purple power that works great. YOu just have to make sure the engine is cool before you use it. I want to try some of these engin bay products.

Comment

When i first got my car i gradually got the engine to where it is at the momment (needs a touch up soon....weekend approaching). I used a steam cleaner and degreaser and then meguiars metal polish.

Comment

Re: Engine Compartment Clean & Shine

I'm doing my wife's car right now. I am going with simple green and finish with CD2. I was reading on this forum that a lot of people like CD2. Picked up a can for $4.99. I am trying on my wife's 2005 car before I do my2008 TrailBlazer.

Wife's car Before.

Washed with simple green, let soaked, rinsed off.

.I liked the way the engine came out. Look close and you can see grime came off around Valve cover....

Need pics. after dressing...

Blazing a Trail in Arizona one weekend at a time.

Comment

Um, this thread is over 3 years old. I think the OP has cleaned his engine by now.
          -Kyle

Comment

Sorry ziggo, I am new here and wanted to post some pictures. Well it came out so nice I am got to use the CD-2 on my TrailBlazer. ...LOL
            Ziggo, is that a rule that I can't add to an old Post?

Comment

Originally posted by TallPaul1 View Post
              ...Ziggo, is that a rule that I can't add to an old Post?

No, but in your case since you weren't commenting or replying to the OP's post, it is best to start a new thread.

Colin
              A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Okay, My Bad....

Comment

What do you use on the hoses? I used a degreaser in the engine bay and now my hoses are stained white...
                  Black is the color, the hard to maintain color

Comment

maybe old to many but new to some like me

Comment

An old thread, but these things haven't changed

I've learned over many cars and motorcycles there's a big difference between cleaning a gunky, trashed, leaky engine and maintaining a clean one in perfect working order. I like Gunk Engine Brite or Purple Power or Armor All Wheel Cleaner or Tire Foam for various levels of deep "emulsifying" cleaning, but not Simple Green or some others because they are too chemically harsh and can stain and ruin bits you do not expect. Use a pressure washer as well for the worst of it. After that, you're into detailing and maintaining rather than deep cleaning.

In the case of my daily driver Coupe, bought new, I just don't let it get dirty in the first place, but it also has a full-size underside cover, which helps a LOT. I'll rinse the engine bay, say every other wash, and even wash it all with the same sudsy shampoo and mitt, using the leaf blower to dry and prevent spotting (all with an overnight cold engine). I use Ultimate Black and Ultimate Protectant to treat and boost all the plastic and rubber. Over two years on, it still looks brand new.

However, if you don't have an underside cover, or if you have an oil leak or something, you're almost wasting your time trying to keep an engine looking (or smelling) nice. If you still need deep cleaning on a regular basis, consider the obvious. First fix the leak or whatever is needed to stop the cause of the gunge. I once had a car with a huge power steering leak, and there was just no hope of cleaning all that junk off the entire underside until that hose was fixed. If you do not have a cover underneath, don't drive on a dirt road for example, or in heavy rain, etc.
                      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

An old thread but I like the to throw in that the Daytona speed master brush would bva good engine cleaning brush. Also autoality had an engine cleaning brush that is long and help get into those deep dirty places with ease. Looking fwd to getting one to help out.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');