• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Etched in water spots-do I need a rotary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etched in water spots-do I need a rotary?

I got some nasty water spots on my hood that have etched their way into the clearcoat. I went over them a couple times with #83 and a W8006 pad with a PC but it didn't even put a dent in these things. Am I not working the product enough (I'm pretty new to #83), should I do a few more passes? Or am I wasting my time using a PC and this is a job for a rotary? I have a brand new Makita 9227c sitting here, but I haven't practiced with it yet, so I won't be touching my paint with it anytime soon.
    Thanks.
    -Kyle

If you're working the #83 sufficiently (as in, it's not leaving a nasty hazing on the paint) and you've used it a number of times without success, then you may well be at the limits of what the PC can do. At least without spending a zillion hours on the job.

The rotary isn't anything to be afraid of using. If you're sensible, cautious, and careful, you should be able to use it with a 8006 pad and #83 with no real fear of doing any damage.
    Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Re: Etched in water spots-do I need a rotary?

Originally posted by kpagel
      I got some nasty water spots on my hood that have etched their way into the clearcoat. I went over them a couple times with #83 and a W8006 pad with a PC but it didn't even put a dent in these things. Am I not working the product enough (I'm pretty new to #83), should I do a few more passes? Or am I wasting my time using a PC and this is a job for a rotary? I have a brand new Makita 9227c sitting here, but I haven't practiced with it yet, so I won't be touching my paint with it anytime soon.
      Thanks.
      -Kyle
      I can help much with your Rotary Query but I figured I would throw this out for some additional info for you.

Type 1 & Type 2 Water Spots
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Thanks for the help, Jeff. They're definitely the Type 2 spots and they're all over the hood. I'm going to try #83 again but work the product in longer and do more passes, if nothing happens then I might try the rotary. If I screw up, then I guess I'm repainting the hood. The hood looks like **** anyways (has a couple big chips and a few scratches). I don't know if I have the balls to take a rotary to the hood yet, though. I might just end up getting a professional to do it if the #83 and PC doesn't end up working.

Comment

Originally posted by kpagel
          Thanks for the help, Jeff. They're definitely the Type 2 spots and they're all over the hood. I'm going to try #83 again but work the product in longer and do more passes, if nothing happens then I might try the rotary. If I screw up, then I guess I'm repainting the hood. The hood looks like **** anyways (has a couple big chips and a few scratches). I don't know if I have the balls to take a rotary to the hood yet, though. I might just end up getting a professional to do it if the #83 and PC doesn't end up working.
          I hear you. I have an old Geo sitting in the driveway that has been graciously donated to me for Rotary Practice. The thing has all sorts of flaws for me to gain experience with. Looking forward to getting started, I think it will be soon. I don't have any cars lined up to do right now and if I can keep from volunteering to do other folks cars I'll have time to get sarted on this thing. Seems like every time I turn around some freind I have done a car for is bringing someone by so I can check their car out. I usually end up doing theirs as well. I don't charge yet. But gaining experience by leaps and bounds.
          Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');