• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware of Crows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Crows

Had a weird thing happen this morning. Was at work and a buddy asked me if I had a bag of trash in my truck. I told him yes and asked why. He siad the were about 4-5 crows hopping all over my truck. I ran out, chased them away and got rid of the trash.

I inspected the finish and all was OK.

The odd thing was this bag of trash was closed tight, no holes or tears in the side. Except for 1 or 2 little holes the crows pecked in it. The top of the bag was tied tight.

I just found this odd since the bag was in good shape that the crows took such an interest in it. I guess they have a keen sense of smell.

I just figured I would throw this out, especially for those truck owners who might haul trash from time to time. Beware of Crows.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Note to self. Don't leave bags of bird feed in the back of the truck.
    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlack
      Note to self. Don't leave bags of bird feed in the back of the truck.
      Jeff Smith

Comment

whew at least there werent little scratches from their nails, or i'd have gone crow-hunting ;o)

Comment

yeah, it always seems that crows, ants, etc.. will find trash (aka:food to them) wherever you leave it, even for a split second.

Comment

Originally posted by barrman
            whew at least there werent little scratches from their nails, or i'd have gone crow-hunting ;o)
            Yep, as I walked back in my boss was giving me funny looks. I spent about 10 minutes inspecting the finish for issues. I guess it's good I did not find any as I had all my "GO-KITS" in the trunk and would have broken out the detailing goodies if I had found anything.

The boss likely would not have said a word about it as I told him I would do his 300-C at no charge. He isn;t about to mess up a good thing. Smart Man.
            Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut
              yeah, it always seems that crows, ants, etc.. will find trash (aka:food to them) wherever you leave it, even for a split second.
              yeah, Just amazed me their sense of smell picked up on it like that.
              Jeff Smith

Comment

Without a doubt. Most animals have a great sense of smell. Crows have a keen sense for rotting meat.... Which leads me to wonder.... What did you have in that 150 pound, 5'9" bag? lol

Comment

crows are smart birds as they associate that black trash bag like any other trash bag found in dumpster's or pile of trash.

even if there weren't a lot of discarded food inside, they can find something to their likings.

Comment

Maybe you need to mount a plastic owl on your truck, like this:

Comment

Originally posted by cydewaze
                      Maybe you need to mount a plastic owl on your truck, like this:

Or sit next to it with my Rifle.

Re: the owl. We actually use those "Inside" out aircraft hanger to attempt to kkep the birds from doing their business all over the mulit-Million dollar birds. Doesn't work very well.
                      Jeff Smith

Comment

Jeff, glad they didn't do any damage. Crows hunt for trash like you and I would hunt for swirls on paint. We know where to look

Mount one of those owls as a hood ornament.
                        I miss the hood ornaments that are not on late model cars.
                        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');