• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G-100 Power Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-100 Power Requirements

I was wondering what the power requirements (wattage) for the g100 are?

I ask this because I own a 175watt dc/ac converter to my car, and was thinking that I could run the polisher off my car's own power.
    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Not too sure about the answer to your question but I would say that you have got to think that would seriously drain down your car battery unless you were thinking of having a two battery system in your vehicle. Just my thoughts.
    Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

i would like an answer to that queastion too. what if you leave the car running would that still drain the battery, but then the price of gas...
      for those that dont have a power supply near by...what can be done.

Comment

ohms law says you may want to rethink:
        3.7Amps X 120Volts = 444 watts current draw at 120VAC

through an inverter means:
        444 watts/12VDC = 37 Amps current draw at 12VDC. Thats going to need a #4 (heavy gauge) primary wire to your inverter.
        I would get at least a 900 watt (nominal NOT maximum) inverter.
        This is to allow the almost inevtibale voltage drop from using the G100 from your car's battery. If you drop the voltage to say 10VDC, the amps go to 44 respectively, and things get worse from there (heat etc)

Heres what I recommend at the very least:

The drawdown rate on your car battery would be dependant to the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of your battery. You do NOT want to run the machine for no longer than say 3-5 minute bursts, with about 3-5 minute down time (perfect time to wipe off the polishing products with a MF cloth and inspect your work).

I think it is very possible to run the G100 on your car battery for say (2 hrs) total run time before you may want to start the car and let the alternator kick-in.

If you are concerned about having a dead battery, there is a nifty device built-in that will tell you when the battery is getting low and will shut-off the inverter so you will know you have to start the car. You could easily just work in quarters on your car. after each quarter give your car 5-8 minutes of running time to recharge.

Go For it!!!
        http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

great response!

Comment

900watt w/ DC, gotcha. Looks like I'll be running extension cords!

Uhh, I would never run anything off my car's juice without the car running / running it off the alternator. I've learned my lesson of using a power-hungry laptop in my truck. Trickle-charging before going to work is risky business!
            Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
            Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

yeah, it looks like you have a smaller car, possibly a 4cylinder, which means your battery is probably in the 450-550CCA range. You could run the DA for a while before you have problems. I wouldnt let it idle the entire time, unless you had to. It would be failsafe though if you did.

Good luck!!
              http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');