• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M21 Machine Application Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M21 Machine Application Issue

Hi all, has anyone here experienced tiny water beads left on the paint surface while you apply M21 with DA machine with W-9006 pad? This happens especially when my pad runs over edges. When it dries up, it's very hard to buff away.

And also, why sometimes I get 'patchy' problem? Certain areas have deeper color...I've tried to apply M21 as thin as possible. Thanks for the help in advance.
    zey's detailing photography blog

Re: M21 Machine Application Issue

I have only used #21 once but here are a couple thoughts. Same problem could apply with other waxes. So.....

I get the water beads after a car wash(when I wash it just prior to a detail). The my PC tends to pull the water out of the body seams/gaps. Could this be what you are speaking of?

For the "patchy", do you apply two thin coats of wax? I find its best to apply two thin coats as it will even out the look.

Hope this helps!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hi gb387, the water beads aren't from the car wash, it's from the product itself, coming out from the foam pad. As for the two twin coats of M21, how long do you wait before applying 2nd coat? Do you buff away the 1st coat before you apply the 2nd coat?

Comment

Originally posted by zey
        Hi gb387, the water beads aren't from the car wash, it's from the product itself, coming out from the foam pad. As for the two twin coats of M21, how long do you wait before applying 2nd coat? Do you buff away the 1st coat before you apply the 2nd coat?
        Man... not sure on the water beads then... someone else may have some ideas.

Keep in mind this is with NXT but both are similar products (when I had #21 I didn't have enough to do 2 coats)... So... remove the first coat. If time allows/you are not going to be driving the vehicle/it won't get dirty, 12-24 hours later is best for the second coat BUT I always just apply the second coat right after the first. I only have one vehicle and its just easier to finish the vehicle in the same day.

When NXT first was introduced I did wait 12 hours before the second coat. There after I just applied in the same day and I really didn't see the difference.
        Brandon

Comment

Hi gb387, thanks for your information. I've found a post by Mosca mentioning about the water beads/droplets in one of his posts...

M21, some notes

Below is the partial extract of it...

"...Second, it is clearly a water based product. When applied by PC with a new polishing pad, I had some water separate out into droplets, like it was "weeping". It is much more a forced emulsion than it is a mixture or a solution or a suspension."

"...By then I was getting tiny specks that I thought were dust; they were actually small specks of product that acted dusty, but were wet. This is an oddly held together product, with very unusual properties."

Perhaps anyone from Meguiar's could explain about this phenomenon?

Comment

Interesting about #21.... Thanks for the info.

In this post: M21 and NXT
            I quote Mike Phillips.

Mike Phillips

Meguiar's always recommends 2 thin coats of wax versus one coat, especially one thick, sloppily applied coat. The reason for this is,

Two thin coats insures uniform appearance and uniform protection"
            Brandon

Comment

Re: M21 Machine Application Issue

Originally posted by zey

And also, why sometimes I get 'patchy' problem? Certain areas have deeper color...
              Another possibility is that you have some oxidized paint. That can give an uneven appearance with glazes, waxes, and sealants.
              Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

two things

one did you shake the product well....

two did you prime your pad (if your using a pc) maybe you primed it to much

another thing i noticed was i didnt shake 20 the first time i used it and saw water droplet on the pad when apply 20 on the pad...

just a thought....

also just a suggestion anytime you have problems removing wax/sealant reapply more to that area by hand or another option is with a damp towel or with nxt tech wax.....just a though

let us know how it works out ....i have 21 but have not had the opportunity to use it yet .....

also it sounds like your apply to thick of a product or it not curing properly.....are you doing the swipe test......

Last edited by Djmigs; Nov 20, 2005, 12:01 AM.
                Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Hi Djmigs,

I shaked the bottle for 30 seconds before start using. I primed my W-9006 pad with an 'X' for first application, I think it could be the reason of overpriming.

I washed my car again this morning and those patchy areas are gone, now my bonnet has very even deep gloss effect. Usually I wait 15 mins. before buffing the product away.

Comment

It is called product sweating. Pretty normal for certain products. Just go over a couple of times more. You can remove it as well with a towel then continue over the same place. Yes, cloudyness will go away the next day, or you can remove it immediately with QD or with the product itself.

Comment

Bence, thank you so much. I remembered I used QD immediately to remove the excessive product to solve cloudiness problem but it doesn't seem to last that long.

Comment

Have a look at my thread HERE regarding this. (pic included).
                        As you make a living, don't forget to live.

Comment

Thank you MB/ / /HRV so much. At least I know I'm not alone.

Comment

i have water squirting out of my #21 bottle when im trying to get products out
                            even after i shake it well

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');