• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Dressing questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Dressing questions...

Guys,

I understand that most of you guys use Hyper Dressing for dressing up the engine bay after using the degreaser or APC.

My problem is I don't have Hyper Dressing and I was thinking of using Natural Shine. Tried looking for Natural Shine but they don't carry it here in my part of the world.

One of my friends told me that I can use Hot Shine on the plastic and rubber hoses as he has tried it before. I'm not too sure about this as I have always believe that Meguair's make each product for specific usage. Plus the directions labels did indicate to store Hot Shine away from extreme heat - which I feel that the engine bay is considered a very hot part of the car.

Can anyone here help me out with this? Thanks in advance.

Do you have Exterior Trim Detailer in your area?

I use it in my engine compartment and it lasts a long time under the hood. Just have to watch where you spray it, I don't think you want it on belts... here it is under the hood:

Not the best photo but here it is.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I am partial to CD2 engine detailer (spray can). That stuff last months and repels dust like you wouldnt believe. I Love it on wheel wells too
      http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Re: Engine Dressing questions...

Plus the directions labels did indicate to store Hot Shine away from extreme heat - which I feel that the engine bay is considered a very hot part of the car.
        those directions are usually for the can itself. I know someone can probably justify that.
        the can is under pressure and if store near heat, like an open fireplace or heater, the can will explode.
        but I don't think once you spray it out, its considered extreme flameable unless you spray it into an open fire.
        it should be safe once applied to the component you are working on.

Comment

Silicon Free Dressing works best in engine bays. It doesnt have a greasy shiney finish. Instead it dries to non greasy/non tacky finish, it wont attract dust and dirt, smells great, and is safe to use in engine compartments.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
            I am partial to CD2 engine detailer (spray can). That stuff last months and repels dust like you wouldnt believe. I Love it on wheel wells too
            I have used that stuff as well, I might have half a can left or so... does a very nice job!
            Brandon

Comment

Thanks guys! I can't seem to find Exterior Trim Detailer over here either. Guess I'll have to get the NXT Tech Protect (if there are still any stocks available - MG stuff sells like hot cakes over here!) or I'll have to make do with something from Turtle Wax or other brands...

Btw, What is a CD2 engine detailer? Haven't heard of this before...

Comment

Originally posted by Terence K
                Btw, What is a CD2 engine detailer? Haven't heard of this before...
                Its a aerosol/spray on engine detailer.... spray it on an leave it, it dries and leaves your engine compartment looking new! I have only used my can once, after the first use I started to get a little worried what the solvents in the product were doing to various thing under the hood. The aerosol gives you very little control on where the product goes. I prefer a wipe on type product now.
                Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  Is CD2 a Meg product? I keep seeing it mentioned, but that doesn't sound like a Meg product name to me. I used to sell auto parts and we carried CD2, but it was an STP type of oil treatment. If my memory is still working it was made or owned by Stewart Warner, the gauge people.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161 View Post
                    Is CD2 a Meg product? I keep seeing it mentioned, but that doesn't sound like a Meg product name to me. I used to sell auto parts and we carried CD2, but it was an STP type of oil treatment. If my memory is still working it was made or owned by Stewart Warner, the gauge people.
                    Its not made by Meguiars, not sure who makes it. You might see it mentioned more since its fairly easy to find at a local auto parts store and about the only on the shelf product specifically for the task.
                    Brandon

Comment

Just a Question.

What does K.L. stand for? maybe you could try finding a 3M or automagic ditributor in your area if the guys who sell Megs do not carry with hyper dressing.
                      If there's an automagic ditributor, check if they can sell you the #65 dressing.

It works pretty good and can be diluted like hyper dressing: up to 1:4

hope this helps.
                      " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post
                        Just a Question.

What does K.L. stand for? maybe you could try finding a 3M or automagic ditributor in your area if the guys who sell Megs do not carry with hyper dressing.
                        If there's an automagic ditributor, check if they can sell you the #65 dressing.

It works pretty good and can be diluted like hyper dressing: up to 1:4

hope this helps.
                        As mentioned above, there are other products out there. Hyper Dressing is a great option, spray it on and leave it and you can also use it on wheel wells, trim tires, etc... A product may no specifically say its for the engine compartment but will still give you good looking/long lasting results.
                        Brandon

Comment

I just spoke to 2 different BMW dealerships and asked them how i should clean my engine. they told me to keep the engine running while i clean it, they also said i dont have to cover any thing. I dont know if this will work with other cars, but just thought id let you guys know.

Comment

CD2 is made by a company whose name starts with turtle.

Thejoyofdriving: Could you ask the dealerships why? I always wondered why someone would want to do this with their engine running. I am pretty sure you can't cover your alternator with the engine running. I watched a video by a company that will remained un-named but he said you want to leave the engine on because if you hear the engine sputter move your water source. I don't know too much about cars, but once something sputters ... isn't it too late? I assume that it is because water can get into the combustion chamber, and water doesn't compress.

:P if you don't want to do something as risky why no do it how Mike Pennington did it in the old Meguair's videos with EXTRA and Natural Shine. The video basically show Mike spraying EXTRA into the engine bay of a red Z3 and then we wipes away all the surface oil and grime with a terry towel. He then follows up by dressing the hoses and valve cover with Natual Shine.

Meguiar's should bring back EXTRA as I only have 1/4 of a bottle left.
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord
                            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

As sneek said, it's a Turtle Wax product. Here is the link if you want to check it out. www.cd-2products.com

I have used CD-2 many times over the years and have always had good results. You just need to clean good with a degreaser product first.

With my own cars and trucks I've always just cleaned/degreased with water based products like Simple Green, Safe D-Greaser and the like, because I don't let them get that dirty. If you have an engine compartment that is really dirty/greasy you may need to use a Petroleum based product first.

Of course read the directions....you don't want to spray directly into internal components like the alternator and stuff.

AFWIW, I have always used a power washer (or at car wash) under the hood after spraying down with degreaser. (Not running though)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');