• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wash in the garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wash in the garage?

I was washing my truck in the garage tonight and thought I would snap a few shots....

Its starting to get a little on the cold side so its time to move into my cramped little garage and wash the truck. Its a little hard to get photos of anything, not much room to work in this "2 Stall" garage.

It does take a little longer to wash this way but its much better than going to the coin op wash. I have a finished garage so I can't get to crazy with the hose. Someday I would like to install some water proof panels on the lower 1/4 of the walls to make washing a little easier.

Here are a couple in process shots:

I usually leave the garage door all the way down then once I am done pop it open with the manual release and let the water run out/squeegee the floor.

Soapy water back up!

Then I have both a clean vehicle and a clean garage floor!

Done!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

I too must use a garage from November to April. Fortunately, my parents have a heated one with a drain in the center !

I can use it, but the price is I must keep their car clean too. Fine with me.

I do have a little bit more room than you.

Comment

Re: Car Wash in the garage?

Originally posted by gb387

.....It does take a little longer to wash this way but its much better than going to the coin op wash. I have a finished garage so I can't get to crazy with the hose....
      I prefer the coin-op to get off the bad stuff. Then I use QEW (Quick and Easy Wash) at the coin-op or drive the truck home to do the QEW in my garage.

I too have a finished garage. That much water in it is just too messy for me.

Tom

Comment

Re: Re: Car Wash in the garage?

Originally posted by tguil
        I prefer the coin-op to get off the bad stuff. Then I use QEW (Quick and Easy Wash) at the coin-op or drive the truck home to do the QEW in my garage.

I too have a finished garage. That much water in it is just too messy for me.

Tom
        I do go to the coin-op if there is a big build up of sand/salt say after a snow fall.... then go to the hand wash in the garage.
        Brandon

Comment

You, my friend, truly are "Car Crazy"!!
          http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

I have the same problem, but my single car garage is too small for me to wash my cars inside. I am planning to try the new body brushes this winter to see if that would be a better alternative to hand washing the cars in the cold (better than not doing anything). I was also thinking about using the wide body brush to remove the snow on my jeep this winter. I think that after I let my car run for a few minutes most of the snow will have melted enough that the brush could clear the snow. The wide angle body brush is definitely much softer that the brushes I have used before. I hope this works.

Jason
            You must stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Comment

It was 33 dgrees out the other night.... It was friday night (which is manditory wash night) So I had no choice, haha my baby got washed... I dont have the luxury of a large garage to wash in so I just get my hands cold. haha I even have a pump to pump the hose dry so that the water wont freeze overnight.
              Rangerpowersports.com
              Ranger72

Comment

Re: Car Wash in the garage?

I Someday I would like to install some water proof panels on the lower 1/4 of the walls to make washing a little easier.
                I too wash my vehicle in the Garage but do it in the spring, summer, fall or winter. It just works well for me.

I too have thought about the damage to the Dry Wall and make extra efforts in avoiding hitting the wall with water spray. This kind of hinders the wash process when taking care where your shooting water. I was thinking of getting Plexy-Glass panels and fasten them to the wall 1/4 of the way from the floor. This seems to be a lot easier then ripping out existing dry wall and replacing it with the Green Water Resistant Dry Wall. I have not priced it all out yet but I figured that 1/8" thichness would be all that is needed. Any thoughts?
                Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Re: Re: Car Wash in the garage?

Originally posted by BJClarke001
                  I too wash my vehicle in the Garage but do it in the spring, summer, fall or winter. It just works well for me.

I too have thought about the damage to the Dry Wall and make extra efforts in avoiding hitting the wall with water spray. This kind of hinders the wash process when taking care where your shooting water. I was thinking of getting Plexy-Glass panels and fasten them to the wall 1/4 of the way from the floor. This seems to be a lot easier then ripping out existing dry wall and replacing it with the Green Water Resistant Dry Wall. I have not priced it all out yet but I figured that 1/8" thichness would be all that is needed. Any thoughts?
                  Thats all you need.... just something to protect the lower part wall. Plexy-glass can get a little expensive, 1/8" is thin so it may not be all that bad.... but it would provide a good barrier from water.

I was thinking... there are these white textured panels (thin plastic) you see them in commercial restrooms, following the same 1/4' of the way from the floor you talk about (over the drywall with a trim piece on the top edge of the panel, a more finished look). Here I am not sure on the cost either and I don't want it looking to odd!?!?
                  Brandon

Comment

Washing in the Garage

You can make washing in the garage a truly painless experience by finding some Quick Exterior Wash (made by Protect All). With QEW you can do a great job of washing your vehicle without a hose. All you need is a bucket (better to use 2), a few wash mitts & some MF drying towels.

QEW works incredibly well. So well, in fact, that some detailers forego the traditional methodm of washing for this stuff.

Give it a try. You won't be sorry.
                    --
                    Hook

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Car Wash in the garage?

Thats all you need.... just something to protect the lower part wall. Plexy-glass can get a little expensive, 1/8" is thin so it may not be all that bad.... but it would provide a good barrier from water.

I was thinking... there are these white textured panels (thin plastic) you see them in commercial restrooms, following the same 1/4' of the way from the floor you talk about (over the drywall with a trim piece on the top edge of the panel, a more finished look). Here I am not sure on the cost either and I don't want it looking to odd!?!?
                      My local Lowes sells 8'x4' Dry erase marker board type panels. No frame, just the panel. I bet some of those sat on there side would be ideal for this.

I have never used them for the purpose of waterproofing but I did line my 2 kids bedrooms with them as I got tired of them marking up the walls in their younger days. I finally gave in and said go ahead and mark them up. I'd give them a roll of paper towels and some windex every once in a while when they ran out of room to write.
                      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

buy some cheap shower curtains at the dollar store and hook them to the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Five Star
                          buy some cheap shower curtains at the dollar store and hook them to the wall.
                          Thats not a bad idea.... I would use it as a temorary thing but, might work well.
                          Brandon

Comment

Hey Gb,

Perhaps try lining the walls with some large tarps attached to hooks. But I would be concerned with moisture build-up as this could lead to mold in the walls.

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                              Hey Gb,

Perhaps try lining the walls with some large tarps attached to hooks. But I would be concerned with moisture build-up as this could lead to mold in the walls.

Tim
                              I would agree with the moisture problem... I don't want to trap the moisture somewhere..... I like to open the garage door a little after a wash... There is A LOT of moisture in the garage after I am done, almost feels like it could rain.
                              Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');