• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNOW REMOVAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNOW REMOVAL

Just recieved our first installment of this WHITE STUFF . Any suggestions for snow removal from vehicles to minimize paint damage?.
    Last edited by SteaminPete; Nov 24, 2005, 12:17 PM.

Hair Blow Dryer?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Hair Blow Dryer?

Oh now you just hush, Mr. California Dreamin'

I just took a regular snow brush/broom and wrapped a couple layers of MF towel around it, and secured it with safety pins on the side that goes nowhere near paint. Then just use the MFs to "shove" the snow off the car. You don't even HAVE to go all the way down until you see paint. If you leave 1/8 to 1/4" of snow, it ensures you aren't instilling scratches. Usually the little bit will blow off once you're on the road anyways.

Another tip for icy windows so you don't have to scrape as hard (again, wrap the scraper with an MF for a little extra protection) is to give the frozen areas a squirt or two of #34 (or any other non-carnauba/non-silicone QD spray) to help liquify it temporarily.

Comment

I just use my hand (wearing gloves) over painted surfaces and leave a 1/8 to 1/4" of snow like Shiny Lil Detlr talks about... The remaining snow I let melt off. Windows I use the normal ice scraper.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

The Versa-Angle Wide Body Brush may be good for this application, although I have not tried it yet.

There is always a possibility of marring when removing snow from automotive paint. The idea of leaving a fine layer of snow is a good one.

When it snows a lot, I just stay home. They can't handle much snow here with our poor snow removal. We had a half inch Friday and there were wrecks everywhere! I made it a point to get to work before the snow started. It was raining and 50 degrees later in the day!

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Water...lots of it.

In the North East I have seen/found contaminants in the White Fluffy stuff, Even small particles of ice pushed along the surface will scratch you finish.

Hair Blow Dryer?

Some how i expected that form a Left Coaster.

Water and electric
            Rich
            If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
            DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

5" later, thanks for the advice guys,and you to surfer boy!

Comment

Originally posted by Beercan31
                Water...lots of it.

In the North East I have seen/found contaminants in the White Fluffy stuff, Even small particles of ice pushed along the surface will scratch you finish.

Water and electric
                Water? Geesh! The water hoses would be frozen at the point when the fluffy stuff begins to fall, owuldn't they?

:-)

/Marcus

Comment

Hair Blow Dryer?

Perhaps not a Hair Dryer as our friend Mike suggest, but now he has me thinking about a Leaf Blower. I never tried it but it could work and of course this is only good when the vehicle is in your own driveway. If the vehicle was parked elsewhere, you'll need to use other means.

Back in my single days, I use to just have a "Winter Car" and would never worry about scraching the finish on it. The "Good" car was being stored in a barn somewhere and was never effected by snow. Today, since I do have to worry about scratching my new daily drivers, this thread raises a very good question.

Using the Leaf blower may just work with 220 Mph of air flow force. I just wonder how the neighbors will like it at 6 AM in the morning.

So now, I use my leaf blower to blow leaves; dry my vehicles; sweep the driveway and sidewalks; and perhaps now, clear snow of my vehicle. Who knew? LOL.
                  Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

what i do is take an old washmitt clean it up and use it just to remove snow only

Comment

Water and electric
                      LOL!!! And here I thought he just used gel to make his hair stand up!
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by BJClarke001
                        Perhaps not a Hair Dryer as our friend Mike suggest, but now he has me thinking about a Leaf Blower. I never tried it but it could work and of course this is only good when the vehicle is in your own driveway. If the vehicle was parked elsewhere, you'll need to use other means.

Back in my single days, I use to just have a "Winter Car" and would never worry about scraching the finish on it. The "Good" car was being stored in a barn somewhere and was never effected by snow. Today, since I do have to worry about scratching my new daily drivers, this thread raises a very good question.

Using the Leaf blower may just work with 220 Mph of air flow force. I just wonder how the neighbors will like it at 6 AM in the morning.

So now, I use my leaf blower to blow leaves; dry my vehicles; sweep the driveway and sidewalks; and perhaps now, clear snow of my vehicle. Who knew? LOL.
                        You're still taking a huge risk that way of blowing contaminants against/into your paint that way. I suppose it would work, but you'd have to be VERY careful which direction you were blowing at the car from.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus
                          Water? Geesh! The water hoses would be frozen at the point when the fluffy stuff begins to fall, owuldn't they?

:-)

/Marcus
                          Yes and No, running water freezes well below the freezing point. You just need to be quick.

The hose I use is stored in a heated garage and has 90psi through a 5/8 heavy duty hose with no nozzle. Freezing is not an option.
                          Rich
                          If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
                          DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
                            Oh now you just hush, Mr. California Dreamin'
                            ...Some how i expected that form a Left Coaster. ...
                            Originally posted by SteaminPete
                            5" later, thanks for the advice guys,and you to surfer boy!
                            As a SoCal native , living my whole life within a few miles of the beach I can attest that some of us are familiar with the white stuff.

Here are a couple of my friends (also both born and raised in the SoCal sunshine) and my truck right here in the granola state.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                              Here are a couple of my friends (also both born and raised in the SoCal sunshine) and my truck right here in the granola state.
                              Here in Michigan, we call that "lake effect" snow..... do y'all call it "Ocean Effect" snow?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');